3 students wounded, gunman killed in Florida campus shooting

webfact

3 students wounded, gunman killed in Florida campus shooting
English.news.cn

WASHINGTON, Nov. 21 (Xinhua) -- Police confirmed on Thursday that three students were wounded and the gunman was killed in a shooting at Florida State University (FSU) library in the United States early morning.

The Florida State and Tallahassee police departments said the gunman entered the library and fired at hundreds of students at around 0:30 a.m. there, adding that police rushed to the site soon after and killed the gunman outside of the library.

One of the injured students is in critical condition and another is stable after being sent to nearby hospital, the police said. The third victim, grazed by a bullet, was treated and released at the scene.

The gunman was identified as Myron May, a 2005 FSU graduate, the police said.

Further investigation into the motive of the shooting is still underway.

The FSU, with 40,000 students in various campuses, canceled all classes and exams Thursday in the wake of the shooting, but most Campus buildings will remain open, FSU officials said in a statement.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2014-11/21/c_127235536.htm

-- Xinhua 2014-11-21

The Yanks always refer to these type of events as "shootings". To me it is domestic terrorism. My sympathy for the affected families

Calling it terrorism implies that we (Americans) are under attack rather than the reality that we are allowing easy firearms access to our mentally ill.

• Like 1

Of course as we are always reminded guns don't kill people..

Easy access at garage sales to unlicensed guns may explain this and similar tragedies RIP

Might explain why 40 times more US gun owned and over 100 times more victims than Uk pro rate per 100,000

I wonder if there is a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Yeah, well isn't the UK the stabbing capital of the Western world? Going so far as to have the police hold "knife amnesty" days.

What's next for the UK, collect cricket bats?

This is totally untrue, based on a story put out by an American news reporter with sympathy for the US Gun Lobby. In the US, violent crimes recorded by the FBI include only crimes where an actual wounding or death took place. In the UK the crime statistics include all cases where the person apprehended had a knife in his possession, irrespective of whether a stabbing took place. In most cases there may have been some pushing and shoving but no knife attack.

The figures that matter are that there are 14,877 deaths/100,000 people in the US, 66% by guns. In the UK there were 653 deaths/100,000 in the same period.

• Like 1

Yeah, well isn't the UK the stabbing capital of the Western world? Going so far as to have the police hold "knife amnesty" days.

This is totally untrue, based on a story put out by an American news reporter with sympathy for the US Gun Lobby. In the US, violent crimes recorded by the FBI include only crimes where an actual wounding or death took place. In the UK the crime statistics include all cases where the person apprehended had a knife in his possession, irrespective of whether a stabbing took place. In most cases there may have been some pushing and shoving but no knife attack.

The figures that matter are that there are 14,877 deaths/100,000 people in the US, 66% by guns. In the UK there were 653 deaths/100,000 in the same period.

Your numbers are laughable. 14,877 per 100,000????? LMAO.

Iraq doesn't even have stats like that. I doubt Somalia even has stats like that.

Care to post where you got that from?

If that were true, there would be almost 150,000 gun deaths in New York City alone.

Really now.

BTW....really doesn't matter if you post anything. you obviously do not live in the US. A case of believing anything you read on the internet.

Edited by KuhnPaen
  • Like 1

Your numbers are laughable. 14,877 per 100,000????? LMAO.

Iraq doesn't even have stats like that. I doubt Somalia even has stats like that.

Care to post where you got that from?

If that were true, there would be almost 150,000 gun deaths in New York City alone.

Really now.

BTW....really doesn't matter if you post anything. you obviously do not live in the US. A case of believing anything you read on the internet.

Maybe he is counting natural causes among those deaths.

Putting a quick pencil to his statement and using a population figure of 330 million, that means there were 49,094,000 deaths by violent crime, with 32,402,106 being death by firearm. I presume his figures are annually?

Even turning the entire country of Mexico into US citizens, the US won't be long for this world.

I'd like to see that link as well.

The Yanks always refer to these type of events as "shootings". To me it is domestic terrorism. My sympathy for the affected families

I am not convinced it is terrorism. The term terrorism has so many definitions, and you cannot prove to me that any of these definitions are not politically motivated. There are simply too many practical words in the English language that can be utilized to define a violent act once all of the circumstances are looked in to and the people describing the act are reliable enough to be truthful with their definition.

If this man is a terrorist, then would that not make people, who commit suicide, passive terrorists? He is an aggressive terrorist, then?

Rather than looking in the direction that these elite governments want me to look when they cry "Terrorist", I prefer instead to look at these elite governments and how they arrived at that conclusion, and if they had any involvement in provoking the person/s they are pointing at and accusing.

Back to the OP. This man may be a loon, but he is not a terrorist. There are too many definitions he has to fit before he goes high enough up on the list to be qualified as a terrorist, and at that point, we have to prove that his government did not sponser any terrorism against him which may have provoked this retaliation, which would then be twisted into being defined as terrorism by the very ones provoking him.

From this UN document:

USA (page 128): 14,661 homicides per 100,000.

UK (page 133): 653 per 100,000.

I have used the 2011 figures for both countries as the table does not have 2012 figures for the UK. For the USA the 2012 figure is 14,827.

Note these are homicide figures, that is intentional killings.

They do not include the accidental gun deaths which, from the news, seem to be happening more and more often in the USA.

Increasing knife crime in the UK is a worry; but it is difficult (not impossible) to accidently stab someone; unlike the sad cases of children shooting other children whist playing with their parent's guns which we have seen happening all to often in the US!

Edited by 7by7

From this UN document:

USA (page 128): 14,661 homicides per 100,000.

UK (page 133): 653 per 100,000.

I have used the 2011 figures for both countries as the table does not have 2012 figures for the UK. For the USA the 2012 figure is 14,827.

Note these are homicide figures, that is intentional killings.

They do not include the accidental gun deaths which, from the news, seem to be happening more and more often in the USA.

Increasing knife crime in the UK is a worry; but it is difficult (not impossible) to accidently stab someone; unlike the sad cases of children shooting other children whist playing with their parent's guns which we have seen happening all to often in the US!

I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around your figures and this report. Give me some help here.

1. You and the report are claiming there were 14,827 homicides per 100,000 US residents or citizens during 2012. Right?

2. Wikipedia (yeah, I know) claims the US population for 2012 was 312,800,000, give or take a few thousand,

3. If one were to divide the total population (312,800,000) by the base count of 100,000, the result would be a total of 3,128 individual sets of 100 Ks. Still right?

4. Then one might take the homicide figure of 14,827 per 100,000 people, multiply the homicides by the number of sets of 100,000 (3,128) and the result would equate roughly to the total number of homicides in the US in 2012. Right?

5. My calculator (Casio) just keeps coming up with the grand total of homicides in the US during 2012 to be...46,378,856.

I am quite certain I would have heard about it if some 46.3 million people died by homicide in 2012 so there must be either something wrong with my calculator, method of calculation or...you and the UN report.

Your comments are respectfully solicited to clear up my confusion.

I am claiming nothing; merely quoting the figures supplied by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

It is possible I have misread the figures, and even though figures elsewhere in the document are presented as per 100,000 that these figures are not. But however the figures are presented it is obvious that the homicide rate in the US is way above equivalent nations.

I simply find it incredible that Americans can dismiss this fact with a shrug!

Edited by 7by7

I am claiming nothing; merely quoting the figures supplied by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

It is possible I have misread the figures, and even though figures elsewhere in the document are presented as per 100,000 that these figures are not. But however the figures are presented it is obvious that the homicide rate in the US is way above equivalent nations.

So is this an admission your link might be just a teensy bit off or not?

Come on, don't weasel out on me.

Man up and admit you might have made a mistake.

If nothing else, my question gave you another chance to take a cheap shot at the US and Americans in general.

• Like 2

I accepted that I may have misread the figures; and having had more time to look and done further research, I can now confirm that I did do so.

The figure of 14,827 was the total for 2012, giving a rate per 100,000 of 4.7 (source; note that they used the UNODC report linked to earlier as their source).

My apologies for that mistake.

However, you cannot deny that the homicide rate in the USA is far worse than that in comparable countries such as Canada (1.6) and the UK (1.0).

The rate in the USA is actually worse than in many countries one would have thought to be more lawless and dangerous! Uzbekistan (3.7), Iran (3.9) for example.

One thing is obvious; the stricter a country's gun controls and the stricter they are enforced, the lower the homicide rate. Japan, with probably the world's strictest gun control, has a rate of just 0.6.

Plus, of course, the fewer people, especially children, are wounded or killed by guns accidentally.

That cannot be a coincidence.

Edited by 7by7

I am pretty sure when the murder rate hits that 46,000,000 deaths, the American public will take notice. Hell, I bet that even Chuckd and Neversure will take note. Maybe the NRA will take note as well.

In the meantime, it seems that most Americans don't seem to like the high number of murders, but it's their country and they get to make the rules. As soon as they need some help from the UK, though, I bet they will call you 7X7 and probably Piers Morgan.

• Like 1