Do external loudspeaker no longer connect to new PC monitor

fvw53

My PC monitor has crashed and is beyond repair.

I went to look for a new PC monitor and it appears that all of them do no longer have an input for the power cable of the external loudspeakers.

Did anybody have the same experience ? ...then how to get sound because one cannot connect the power cable to any source (voltage problems etc..)

Not sure about your problem

What is the make model of the old monitor and your PC

Most PC today have external speakers and only plug into the PC ether USB or an audio jack - some have their own power and plug into the power separately but get audio from the PC.

You may need to get a new LCD or LED screen and a speaker set to replace them. Some of the old CRT models had speakers built in or side mounted but you won't find that anymore.

While I would like to help, I am very confused by the words you have chosen to use to describe your issue.

PC monitor has crashed

all of them do no longer have an input for the power cable of the external loudspeakers

how to get sound because one cannot connect the power cable to any source (voltage problems etc..)

Most computer display monitors (if that's what you're discussing) don't have Audio IN/OUT as standard ports

There ARE displays that have audio options. Most will have a build-in AMP with Stereo speakers, offering audio in via Stereo Mini-plug, Stereo RCA, USB or HDMI input.

A small number of very high-end equipment will even allow audio out ports.

Though I would ask that you please clarify what you're asking about.

It does sound like the OP has one of those old-fashioned 'bundled' monitors with built-in speakers that went out of style and production a long time ago. If he can give make/model details or post a picture, more specific advice can be given as we are probably limited to RS232 video out and a 3.5mm mini jack stereo sound out. The PC may even by challenged in the USB connectivity department.

My PC monitor which had build - in loudspeakers simply died and HP Service Center could not repair it.

So as a temporary solution I had to dig up a still older and also smaller HP monitor which has two external Harman Kardon loudspeakers and which require to be connected to the desktop with audio jack and to the electrical power outlet at the back of the monitor.

I got confused when a salesman told me that new PC monitors no longer have such electrical power connection to loudspeakers and then he showed me a set which - as SheungWan - describes have only audio jack and USB connection.

My desktop is also old (6 or 7 years) but was a top HP model at that time.

I guess with the new generation of loudspeakers the power requirements are less and can be provided by a USB connection to the desktop.

I know what you're talking about. I have one of this old monitor (the PC died long ago), I kept it because it's an old 19" square format that I found more comfortable for Excel files. There is a jack at the back for the sound signal but as far as I remember for power the speakers had to be plugged to a power outlet, not to the monitor. I remember seing PC with a female plug to plug in the monitor but never a monitor.

Maybe I'm missing something, my external speaker is wireless with bluetooth

And we are very happy for you. However, the OP's broken monitor is state of the ark, not state of the art.

The Harman Kardon loudspeakers I mentioned carry a sticker with " DC 12V 1A"

You can buy DC power supplies that will power those built-in Harmon Kardon speakers at the likes of Amorn and definately in the bargain basket shops on the ground floor at Panthip. However, you need to make sure the type and polarity of the bit that plugs into the monitor is correct.