Kindle fire

forumuser10

Been looking to a buy a Kindle Fire, for reading books, etc.

I want to order it online, and always took for granted that if I order it from the US, with a US plug, it would be fine, but at a second thought, it might not work here in Thailand. Would it be easy to find a replacement plug for it?

Anyone had any experience with buying a Kindle tablet from the US, and used it here?

I've ordered two Kindles from Amazon US. The power cable that comes with it is a standard USB charging cable. I plug the Kindle in to my iPad charger. You can order a separate mains charger if you want. No problem with voltages as they are self adjusting.

Edited by trd

I've ordered two Kindles from Amazon US. The power cable that comes with it is a standard USB charging cable. I plug the Kindle in to my iPad charger. You can order a separate mains charger if you want. No problem with voltages as they are self adjusting.

Ok, sounds good.

I plan to use my Thai bank debit card when ordering books online. I have read somewhere that if using a thai debit/credit card, we will not get full access to all the amazon books.

Do you know if this is true?

It cannot be true. When you register a credit card on your Amazon account, that is quite separate from your ability to connect directly to the Amazon book store from the Kindle and purchase books via WiFi. I have two addresses registered on my account, one in the UK and one in Thailand. I have the ability to use my UK Debit card with either address if ordering something physical like a Kindle. Hope that helps.

Try goggle kindle Thailand, there is a shop in BKK that sells them, bought my paperwhite from them, free shipping to Pattaya.

Why do you want the fire model? Okay the fire is perhaps also good for browsing the e-net but the real book readers are much lighter and last very long on a charge.

Don't worry about the charger, any charger bought here with mini usb will charge a kindle just fine.

It cannot be true. When you register a credit card on your Amazon account, that is quite separate from your ability to connect directly to the Amazon book store from the Kindle and purchase books via WiFi. I have two addresses registered on my account, one in the UK and one in Thailand. I have the ability to use my UK Debit card with either address if ordering something physical like a Kindle. Hope that helps.

So when you do a purchase it does not automatically connect with your UK debit card? Because if so we still cannot be sure that it would work with a Thai debit card

So when you do a purchase it does not automatically connect with your UK debit card? Because if so we still cannot be sure that it would work with a Thai debit card
Yes it automatically takes the payment from my UK card which is registered on the system. I just remembered that I also used a Thai credit card in the past.

Yes, I bought a Fire 6 HD while I was in California last month and I am Very pleased with it. It has a beautiful screen and is fast. It cost $119 at Best Buy on Golden West St. I find that I use it more than my Nexuses and my various Mac tablets, specifically the Mac Mimi 2.

Yes, I bought a Fire 6 HD while I was in California last month and I am Very pleased with it. It has a beautiful screen and is fast. It cost $119 at Best Buy on Golden West St. I find that I use it more than my Nexuses and my various Mac tablets, specifically the Mac Mimi 2.

Did you buy any books from Amazon? If so, did you use a Thai credit card?

There are absolutely no restrictions on downloading any books in Thailand.

I may be wrong, but, I think he is telling you that there are no restrictions on downloading any books in Thailand "from sources other than Amazon"

That's what I do...

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon.com (US) using my UK details and UK debit card which were registered with Amazon but gave a Thailand delivery address with out any problems. They charge you for UPS delivery (it came within about 4-5 days, fully traceable), they also charged me over £20 import duty, but there was a refund of £15 a couple of months later.

Ok, but that might be because you have a non thai credit card linked to amazon?

I can't be any clearer. There are no restrictions on access to the entire Amazon Bookstore regardless of which credit card you use. If you think otherwise, call Amazon customer services.

The only restrictions from Amazon which is nothing to do with whether the credit card is from Thailand or anywhere else, is in buying certain physical goods from the US Global store. A while back I wanted to order 2 headphones. One was a logitec and the other was senheiser. I was able to order the logitec but not the senheiser because the US store didn't have an export license to Thailand for that product. That was to do with my location. They didn't care if the credit card was from the UK or Thailand.

Regarding confusion about book downloads. It was the case a few years ago that there were restrictions based on location and Thailand was affected. But this is not the case now. These restrictions were lifted. I download books direct to my Kindle all the time here.

Don't worry about where you bought it and which credit card you are using. My Siam comm bank ATM card is connected to my Amazon account and that's it.

My paperwhite is registered at Amazon as my 2nd kindle since I also got a 3g keybord one which I bought in the US but from Thailand and I got hammered big time on import taxes since they shipped it with DHL and not US post.

I think that it depends on where your Amazon account is located. I can download books from my USA account anywhere that I am but not to my Japanese Kindle. Conversely, I can't download books bought on Amazon Japan to my Kindle bought in the USA. Apparently there isn't an Amazon Thailand. Japan has very strict laws regarding foreign content.

I can't be any clearer. There are no restrictions on access to the entire Amazon Bookstore regardless of which credit card you use. If you think otherwise, call Amazon customer services.

Ok, thank you.

No offense, but I would still like to hear from someone who actually bought books from Amazon using a Thai debit/credit card

Regarding confusion about book downloads. It was the case a few years ago that there were restrictions based on location and Thailand was affected. But this is not the case now. These restrictions were lifted. I download books direct to my Kindle all the time here.

Yes, but you are using your UK credit card which is linked to your Amazon account

Ok, thank you.

No offense, but I would still like to hear from someone who actually bought books from Amazon using a Thai debit/credit card

Which part of "I have" don't you understand? This is my last response to this because it seems you are not prepared to believe anyone. I have used a Siam Commercial Bank Visa credit card to buy and download books in Thailand without restrictions from the Amazon Bookstore. Enough already!

Don't worry about where you bought it and which credit card you are using. My Siam comm bank ATM card is connected to my Amazon account and that's it.

So, have you bought any books from Amazon?

Yes many, they normally arrives within 5-10 min via either 3g or wi-fi on my kindles when I buy them.

Sorry it's not a Sian comm bank atm card but a BKK bank atm one, which you can use for ebay/amazon/agoda and so on.

Ok, thank you.

How about someone with a Dutch credit card. I buy plenty.. no restrictions.

Ok now that we know that you can, why would you want to?

I have been considering buying an e book reader for a long time but i can download and read e books on my phone. What is better about using a reader than using a phone?

Because the screen is much better on a paperwhite device. I have an ipad and a phone and a kindle paperwhite. Guess what i use the most for reading books. Reason the screen is much better and you can sit outside in the sun reading. Its like reading a real book, you cant judge without trying it once.

Have you ever had a device like that in your hands ?

I have been considering buying an e book reader for a long time but i can download and read e books on my phone. What is better about using a reader than using a phone?

Because the screen is much better on a paperwhite device. I have an ipad and a phone and a kindle paperwhite. Guess what i use the most for reading books. Reason the screen is much better and you can sit outside in the sun reading. Its like reading a real book, you cant judge without trying it once.

No i have not tried them yet. Have seem people sitting on the plane next to me using them. Just wondering if they are worth purchasing or not.

No i have not tried them yet. Have seem people sitting on the plane next to me using them. Just wondering if they are worth purchasing or not.

I bought one at first i thought the screen would be to small. Now that I have one i know they are great. Seriously one purchase i never regret.

I will however have to complain a bit to a seller of a book to learn Thai writing. They sold this e book for kindle with pictures that had colors and images. The device does not do that rendering the book useless. For normal books it works great. You can set the size of the font and such and you can carry a whole library with you. Buying books everywhere (or downloading them from other sources)

Here's another good reason to buy a Kindle that not many people seem to know about. Although I buy Kindle books from time to time, most of the stuff I read originates as PDF files. They could be free books or any kind of document. You can open a PDF on the device but the text will usually be too small because it is formatted and word wrapped for a printed page. When you buy a Kindle you have an account and a personal kindle email address. If you want to read a pdf on your Kindle, you just email the file as an attachment to your Amazon email and write "convert" in the subject line. In a few minutes you will get the file back when you do a sync, properly formatted and word wrapped for the Kindle screen. And it's a free service. You just have to put the sending email address into your preferences in your account as an approved sending address. That's obviously to stop just anyone sending a file to you. You can have as many addresses you want, so it would be possible for a friend to send you a document.

Here's another good reason to buy a Kindle that not many people seem to know about. Although I buy Kindle books from time to time, most of the stuff I read originates as PDF files. They could be free books or any kind of document. You can open a PDF on the device but the text will usually be too small because it is formatted and word wrapped for a printed page. When you buy a Kindle you have an account and a personal kindle email address. If you want to read a pdf on your Kindle, you just email the file as an attachment to your Amazon email and write "convert" in the subject line. In a few minutes you will get the file back when you do a sync, properly formatted and word wrapped for the Kindle screen. And it's a free service. You just have to put the sending email address into your preferences in your account as an approved sending address. That's obviously to stop just anyone sending a file to you. You can have as many addresses you want, so it would be possible for a friend to send you a document.

I need to find out more about that as i had an amzon account before i had a kindle.