Pattaya Floating Market - is it free entrance again....?

canarysun

Hello Viewers!

I have been to the Pattaya Floating Market quite a few times in the past until they decided to charge 200 baht entrance fee! I of course refuse to pay that sort of money to any floating market in Thailand. I can catch the train from pattaya railway station for about 2 baht but i just wondered if anybody has been recently in the last few days who might know if it is " free entrance " again??????

Many thanks in advance!

Farang Jaidee wai2.gif

• Like 1

I would like to know to, not that i plan to go, though it HAS apparently expanded.

The last time i went two years ago, it was me, another farang and a thai.

Lady there said that it cost so and so but one thai can bring two farang free! HA!

Another reason i never went into samosa, near the ambassador.

Will that ever be free entrance just to walk around and maybe shop?

Serious question?

sad.png

" Deadly Serious "......

And a "deadly serious" 200 baht to get in.............p.s. you ever hear of a Thai business actually reducing their prices coffee1.gif

This is a market , same as they have in Bangkok , you should not pay an entrance fee to get in just to buy fruits or other food. That's just crazy. Sometimes they do have a show there but still , it should be free for everyone.

I see busloads of Chinese tourists arriving daily and I dont think they have to pay , its probably included in their package tour anyway .

I would like to know to, not that i plan to go, though it HAS apparently expanded.

The last time i went two years ago, it was me, another farang and a thai.

Lady there said that it cost so and so but one thai can bring two farang free! HA!

Another reason i never went into samosa, near the ambassador.

Will that ever be free entrance just to walk around and maybe shop?

I'm with you on Mimosa. But if you eat at a restaurant, they'll get you in for free, but can't see the show. Even free, it's barely worth the effort. I use to walk around the site before it opened.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This retail outlet must have lost Thousands of Baht in lost retail sales to the Expat Farangs who usually have an inbuilt tendency to avoid a scam, unlike the newbie tourists who just pay and say nowt.

Its the same with the other scam place previously mentioned higher up the road at the retail outlet near to Ambassador city.

The owners must be absolutely brainless, dont they understand that in sales philosophy the seller should try to induce a happy smiley and friendly place and not a silly scam like this that just breeds resentment and sales resistance.

Its not just the ExPat community that they have lost, its also the friends and relatives and all those and others who would be warned off the place as the info about the scam gets viral

As for the Chinese getting in free as part of their itinerary, it's rumoured that they do not in any event ever spend any real money.

I would have thought that letting in ExPats for free would be better than letting the Chinese in for free from a sales income point of view.

Went there about six months ago with a party of friends and their Thai ladies, 14 of us. when the touts at the gate asked for 200B each from the six Farangs present even the ladies remonstrated but to no avail, obviously we didn't pay and didn't go in.

For me personally there will never be a next time for places like this even if they change the rules, at the end of the day its just another overpriced retail outlet but just in case you dont buy they have in any event scammed you with the false entry fee.

When will they ever learn?

Edited by n210mp
  • Like 1

It's free for expats , all you have to show is your drivers license, so you need a valid thai ID. I live nearby so been there many times . If you do not have an ID you can try to sneak in from the side entrance near the carpark without anyone noticing. I brought some farang friends with me without ID, no questions asked........

I have been there yesterday. I presented my Thai driver license. They said to me that I have to pay 200 Baht anyway. I can get a VIP card and next time the entry would be free, but first I have to pay 200 Baht. I refused and we went away. It is a shame that people have to pay for visiting a market with overpriced goods and tons of Chinese tourists. Thailand gets more and more a tourist trap. BTW: The side entrance has a guard now. No chance to get in for free. Avoid this place!!!

That's exactly what happened to me last week when after reading some replies I tried again. On showing my Thai drivers license, I was told that I would have to pay 200 bt for a VIP card (I declined).

Used to go weekly before they charged, spent plenty. Since they charge we vote with our feet, as well as many other people. It's now a ghost town. The venders are angry because of the lost sales. But management thinks they are making more money for themselves now. But in reality no customers for anybody including the owners. It used to be packed when it was free. The Chinese don't spend squat. This is thainess, or greed I guess.wont last long now. The saying "shoot themselves in the foot" comes to mind.

Maybe they try to milk foreigners during the high season, if they allow Thais in for free and expats with a valid Thai ID have to pay , this place will be on my ignore list from now.

This retail outlet must have lost Thousands of Baht in lost retail sales to the Expat Farangs who usually have an inbuilt tendency to avoid a scam, unlike the newbie tourists who just pay and say nowt.

Its the same with the other scam place previously mentioned higher up the road at the retail outlet near to Ambassador city.

The owners must be absolutely brainless, dont they understand that in sales philosophy the seller should try to induce a happy smiley and friendly place and not a silly scam like this that just breeds resentment and sales resistance.

Its not just the ExPat community that they have lost, its also the friends and relatives and all those and others who would be warned off the place as the info about the scam gets viral

As for the Chinese getting in free as part of their itinerary, it's rumoured that they do not in any event ever spend any real money.

I would have thought that letting in ExPats for free would be better than letting the Chinese in for free from a sales income point of view.

Went there about six months ago with a party of friends and their Thai ladies, 14 of us. when the touts at the gate asked for 200B each from the six Farangs present even the ladies remonstrated but to no avail, obviously we didn't pay and didn't go in.

For me personally there will never be a next time for places like this even if they change the rules, at the end of the day its just another overpriced retail outlet but just in case you dont buy they have in any event scammed you with the false entry fee.

When will they ever learn?

never?

• Like 1

Just like the floating market in Bangkok, I feel this place is a tourist trap. Just compare the boat prices in Bangkok for farang vs Thai people. It's set up to not let us exit early. If you're a shopper, you'll like it. If you're a farang ATM machine in tow with a Thai girlfriend and her friends, don't go, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Saturday 10th January 2015. 200 baht (or 200 bath as they like to write it) tourist entrance fee to this shopping market.

http://www.pattayafloatingmarket.com/index.php?p=show_promotion.php&id_pro=8

They'll be charging to go into Tesco Lotus and Big C next.

BTW. Not a single tourist bus/coach outside on the highway where normally on a Saturday you'll find them 2 deep.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

Saturday 10th January 2015. 200 baht (or 200 bath as they like to write it) tourist entrance fee to this shopping market.

BTW. Not a single tourist bus/coach outside on the highway where normally on a Saturday you'll find them 2 deep.

That is because the finally forced the busses to use the special car park that they had built in the back. It is entered from the railroad Pattaya by-pass that runs parallel with Sukumvit

That is because the finally forced the busses to use the special car park that they had built in the back. It is entered from the railroad Pattaya by-pass that runs parallel with Sukumvit

And about time too. Double parking on a highway should never have been allowed in the first place. Hope all the bus passengers don't have to walk that much further.

Charging to get into a floating market, king of like charging an entrance fee to a restaurant

Oh well, just cross this of the list of places to take my Mother when we visit next month

We can take her to one for free up near Ramkahm Soi 150

Thanks for the thread :)

• Like 1

I think you have to wait for low season to get in free again with a valid Thai ID. I live nearby so will wait until March and report back.

Edited by balo

I think you have to wait for low season to get in free again with a valid Thai ID. I live nearby so will wait until March and report back.

1/14 visit: Buy the VIP card for 200 baht and get in free next time.

I said in Thai "I'm going shopping at Big C for free."

• Like 1

Im sure that you may have a valid reason for shopping at this place but for the life of me I cannot understand why one would wish to patronise a place where they exercise such blatant financial racism against foreigners

Once they tried to scam me with the ridiculous charge that must have cost them fortunes by now with people who do have some ethics about these thing, they would never EVER, EVER see me again at their nothing more than hyper inflated shops for mugs!

• Like 1

The people who own these places with racial two tier charges must be so arrogantly wealthy that they are totally oblivious to the amount of anti and negative feelings that their silly and stupid pricing policies stimulate.

Even though I have a yellow Tabien Baan, Thai driving licenses , I would not demean myself by going anywhere near to Nong nooch gardens or the floating market or indeed Koh Samed where there is also a two tier pricing policy.

These businesses have had it so good for so long that maybe with the world recession finally hitting Thailand they may well look at ways of getting more of the local (National) people to come to their sites

Until they do and realise the error of their ways I will certainly be keeping them off my list of places to visit and also telling all those who I know from the UK and Australia who occasionally vist here to give them a wide berth as well