Friends bid to repatriate body of killed Briton Sam Austin

Lite Beer

What about the British Embassy for once doing the decent thing??

Get the poor guys body home and worry about the monetary aspects later!!

I'm British and I don't expect my embassy to give a flying fig about my corpse once I've carked it. What does it matter where a body is finally laid to rest? I'd rather my family (or indeed my country) kept the money (and its expensive to fly the deceased home - it's not the same as finding them an aisle seat - there are health regulations to be met, coffins to be found to hold the body, etc.) rather than moved my no-longer-in-the-remotest-bit-concerned flesh around the world.

I actually agree with you, but this is not about you or me, but about the young mans family, who clearly feel different!!

So they can pay for to take him home.Travel insurance is available in Thailand.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm British and I don't expect my embassy to give a flying fig about my corpse once I've carked it. What does it matter where a body is finally laid to rest? I'd rather my family (or indeed my country) kept the money (and its expensive to fly the deceased home - it's not the same as finding them an aisle seat - there are health regulations to be met, coffins to be found to hold the body, etc.) rather than moved my no-longer-in-the-remotest-bit-concerned flesh around the world.

I actually agree with you, but this is not about you or me, but about the young mans family, who clearly feel different!!

any recommendations for travel insurance in thailand please? (sorry off topic)

My friend Died two years this month in Bangkok I informed his sister of his passing she was unable to have his body sent home and his so called friends here didn't have the money so they said to help pay for it. So I sold all the gold I had bought over several years and dipped into my saving to pay for it myself. It wasn't cheap to do but The piece of mind is priceless. But the weird thing was after a couple months of him being laid to rest I had a dream to buy a lotto I called my sister and told her to get me a ticket and wired her money for it when draw was called I found out I won 250,000 USD. Told my sister to keep half deposit rest in my account. When it posted to my account bought new Harley. But I still wonder if some how My bud was saying thanks. I don't know if it was Karma or pure luck But his so called friends have been having a bad string of bad luck for a while now. Told my sister If I kick the bucket here let me stay here Besides going to be cremated so US gov. has to pay Ex- Marine here.

Yeah?

Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Deserves the Thaivisa prize for a work of fiction.

Edited by KarenBravo

My friend Died two years this month in Bangkok I informed his sister of his passing she was unable to have his body sent home and his so called friends here didn't have the money so they said to help pay for it. So I sold all the gold I had bought over several years and dipped into my saving to pay for it myself. It wasn't cheap to do but The piece of mind is priceless. But the weird thing was after a couple months of him being laid to rest I had a dream to buy a lotto I called my sister and told her to get me a ticket and wired her money for it when draw was called I found out I won 250,000 USD. Told my sister to keep half deposit rest in my account. When it posted to my account bought new Harley. But I still wonder if some how My bud was saying thanks. I don't know if it was Karma or pure luck But his so called friends have been having a bad string of bad luck for a while now. Told my sister If I kick the bucket here let me stay here Besides going to be cremated so US gov. has to pay Ex- Marine here.

Like I always say: What you sow You will reap...

I truly believe that.

Yes, I'm sure you do.

So......why to bad things happen to good people and monsters die of old age in their beds?

I'll let you into a secret............life is ruled by chance and randomness.

any recommendations for travel insurance in thailand please? (sorry off topic)

If you are visiting Thailand probably best to get insurance before you travel.

Like I always say: What you sow You will reap...

I truly believe that.

Yes, I'm sure you do.

So......why to bad things happen to good people and monsters die of old age in their beds?

I'll let you into a secret............life is ruled by chance and randomness.

I would say the term better used would be probabilities, which you do have a certain amount of input into. That is all Insurance companies do, is they crunch the numbers in regards to probabilities.... An earlier poster was complaining about what the insurance companies would not cover -- they have a list of exclusions on standard travel insurance so that the price after all the number crunching is reasonably affordable. If someone doesn't like insurance companies and thus that is the reason to avoid them.... then they should create their own insurance pool of one (self-insured) - where you have enough money set aside for covering what would be covered by travel insurance. If you cannot afford that, that is what travel insurance companies are in the business of.... costs that you cannot afford.... and yes, they are for-profit companies so after all is done they do like to have a certain percentage of the dues for profit. I would not be surprised if some companies have add-ons to cover more... but it would not be the one advertised.

In a situation like this logic and rational thinking is not the point!!

You have grieving parents, who want some kind of closure. And if it takes to get the body of their loved one home, who are we to tell them, they are wrong??

If the world was all logic and rational, it would be a very cold place to live!!

That's your particular perspective!!!!!! Some 'kind of closure' is not spending a large amount of money the 'grieving parents' appear not to have, simply to throw the physical remains into a hole in the ground has nothing to with either 'logic' nor 'rational'. Exclamation mark exclamation mark exclamation mark.

You clearly never have heard of the word spirituallity, and obiviously don't understand the meaning of it either.

Hope that nothing bad will happen in your strong and righteous life, so you will never have to ask the help of someone else!!

Words for you to google: Empathy and solidarity.coffee1.gif

Edited by JOC

You have grieving parents, who want some kind of closure. And if it takes to get the body of their loved one home, who are we to tell them, they are wrong??

If the world was all logic and rational, it would be a very cold place to live!!

That's your particular perspective!!!!!! Some 'kind of closure' is not spending a large amount of money the 'grieving parents' appear not to have, simply to throw the physical remains into a hole in the ground has nothing to with either 'logic' nor 'rational'. Exclamation mark exclamation mark exclamation mark.

You clearly never have heard of the word spirituallity, and obiviously don't understand the meaning of it either.

Hope that nothing bad will happen in your strong and righteous life, so you will never have to ask the help of someone else!!

Words for you too google: Empathy and solidarity.coffee1.gif

Each "religion" has their own ideas about death. Cremation for some is out of the question.

The reports on this tragedy make no mention about religious beliefs. Each posters stance on death is valid but may not resonate with the bereaved. Religion is both good and bad.

Interesting on topic article on the BBC website of today.

The consular service provided by the UK Foreign Office sometimes falls short of what the public "can legitimately expect", a report by MPs says.

Bereavement services - offered when Britons die abroad - had fallen "well below expected standards" at times, the Foreign Affairs Committee report says.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30163093

No real surprise in the contents given some of the comments in this topic.

Words for you to google: Empathy and solidarity.coffee1.gif

I, too, don't know what "spirituality" is. Maybe you would be kind enough to explain what it means to you?

Edited by KarenBravo

Interesting on topic article on the BBC website of today.

The consular service provided by the UK Foreign Office sometimes falls short of what the public "can legitimately expect", a report by MPs says.

Bereavement services - offered when Britons die abroad - had fallen "well below expected standards" at times, the Foreign Affairs Committee report says.

No real surprise in the contents given some of the comments in this topic.

Read that earlier today. Last time I had to visit the British Embassy was about 20 years ago. They had little interest in things they were paid to do back then. Since then they have downsized a lot so would expect very little from them now unless the press get involved. Personally try to make sure I am covered for various outcomes with my own finances. Would hate for my family back home to have to pay for me.

If his family feel strongly enough about it - they can pay to take him home or otherwise they clearly don't feel that strongly and would prefer the British public paid instead... which they won't and nor should they.

My father in law died while on holiday in France. No travel insurance because he'd had a heart attack and triple by-pass the year before (in France - merci) so nobody would cover him. My in laws decided to take the risk knowing he had an E111 to cover medical costs at least. When he died it never occurred to any of us that the British taxpayer should pay for his repatriation, but the embassy was very helpful in advising on processes, regulations etc.

Even from France, it was cheaper for the rest of the family to fly over and cremate him there than to bring the body home.

My cremation expenses have been paid for in advance here. I have medical insurance. Half of my cremains stay here, husband takes the other half to my surviving family in the US.

Personally they could dump my remains in a gutter and it wouldn't bother me. The family back home would want them for a wake and my husband would want to spend time with them to grieve.

My cremation expenses have been paid for in advance here. I have medical insurance. Half of my cremains stay here, husband takes the other half to my surviving family in the US.

Personally they could dump my remains in a gutter and it wouldn't bother me. The family back home would want them for a wake and my husband would want to spend time with them to grieve.

Forward thinking. Not like that myself but should do something about it. Mother died in UK two years ago, her will stipulated all funeral expenses would come out of her estate. Wonderful lady, no family arguments.

TomYumpoochai, on 23 Nov 2014 - 10:36, said:

Entering the country on a 1 way ticket and intending to work? Im curious as to the visa he had for that?

I suspect someone with that kind of gameplan probably didnt have a thai elite card and im fairly confident he didnt see the need to waste extra chang money on insurance....

Idiot, that has NOTHING to do with the OP...grow up and keep your bigoted views to yourself, and start your own thread. People like you give my the S#its.

TomYumpoochai, on 23 Nov 2014 - 10:36, said:

Entering the country on a 1 way ticket and intending to work? Im curious as to the visa he had for that?

I suspect someone with that kind of gameplan probably didnt have a thai elite card and im fairly confident he didnt see the need to waste extra chang money on insurance....

Idiot, that has NOTHING to do with the OP...grow up and keep your bigoted views to yourself, and start your own thread. People like you give my the S#its.

Why so angry? Poster has a point. Bigoted? Young lad that had a dream, good for him. Tragic outcome. Zero judgement till more info available, even then judgement is probably irrelevant.

What I find hard to understand, is here we have an unfortunate death, with family and friends grieving, and here we seem to have readers who go off topic and others hell bent in increasing the grief...WHY, what the hell is wrong with you people. SHAME on you.

You need to adjust your halo, it's starting to slip.......

It would appear that the majority of TV posts are embroiled in the effect with little concern for the cause. A young man has died under suspicious and as yet unreported circumstances and that should be cause for the British Embassy to investigate through the Thai authorities and clarify. Why has there been a potential news blackout on this.Where did it happen and how did it happen are significantly more serious than pontificating on travel insurance. Are we all getting conditioned into accepting that life is cheap and irrelevant in this country ?

To answer briefly, yes.

I had a friend drop dead in my loungeroom while I was away and the landlady rang me to tell me the news and when I told her that I don't think I could get back there all she was worried about was could she keep the 3000 baht deposit that I left with her.

It would appear that the majority of TV posts are embroiled in the effect with little concern for the cause. A young man has died under suspicious and as yet unreported circumstances and that should be cause for the British Embassy to investigate through the Thai authorities and clarify. Why has there been a potential news blackout on this.Where did it happen and how did it happen are significantly more serious than pontificating on travel insurance. Are we all getting conditioned into accepting that life is cheap and irrelevant in this country ?

To answer briefly, yes.

I had a friend drop dead in my loungeroom while I was away and the landlady rang me to tell me the news and when I told her that I don't think I could get back there all she was worried about was could she keep the 3000 baht deposit that I left with her.[/quote

Sorry to quote the whole post but as reported so far there are no suspicious circumstances.

Another "Tragic Accident" ? yeah right, dont tell me, suspected suicide, this is getting beyond a joke. How many more bodies will pile up before something is "actually done" !

How many is that know in the last few months?

Seriously, the amount of "accidents / unsolved deaths" are mounting here.

At least they are not calling his death suicide .,,,,,, YET

It appears he died at least a few days ago and yet,

"Thai authorities are yet to tell his distraught mother how her son died"

Something very fishy going on here, you would imagine.

e.g. suppression of news of yet another tourist murder at the start of high season.

Just waiting for the right time to announce another crime committed by a Burmese man!!! bah.gif

Another "Tragic Accident" ? yeah right, dont tell me, suspected suicide, this is getting beyond a joke. How many more bodies will pile up before something is "actually done" !

How many is that know in the last few months?

Seriously, the amount of "accidents / unsolved deaths" are mounting here.

At least they are not calling his death suicide .,,,,,, YET

The old favourates are the best, keep them coming.

The best advice for surviving a trip to Thailand is to come by tour group and go everywhere as a group. After that you have only the danger of road travel to survive.

I have always despised tour group type vacations.... spoon fed dribble.

Surviving a trip to Thailand is typically fairly easy, avoid dealings with mafia or drugs, avoid getting into fights, be deferential and try understanding what is and what is not acceptable. Common sense stuff really. A tourist is not likely to get that far off the the beat and path anyways.

well said. Only thing to add is to have eyes in the back of head. Fortunately a really bad news thai, on yabba or up to no good and lingering around is very easy to spot.

Cant tell you how many times my ex grabbed my hand and said were getting out of here, the same minute i was seeing that type and also thinking..time to P.O.Q

Foreigners have got to learn not to be a hero or tough guy,just get outta there!

A timely report don't you think?

Yep I wish normal people woud just get it into their brains WE I say WE do not count cannon futtter thats all .

Who is the "We"? Westerners? Sad if you really believe that. Worked in a country with that type of attitude, religion based more than race. Would never have considered living there.