Best quality dog food in Thailand?

Probably best to avoid things packaged in North Korea immediately following any political purges there, but otherwise you'll undoubtedly get more comprehensive information by checking out brands available locally and then Googling them for reviews ... or you could just go with whatever s/he likes best and let him/her enjoy life without stressing out over slight variations in vitamins, minerals & such.

Edited by Suradit69

i started feeding our nieghbours dog miniture pincher food that he had never eaten in 8yrs.

3veg.cauli,brocli,carrot,boiled soft and mashed. a couple of tbl.spoons of boiled rice, and boiled chkn.and beef.

never leaves anything.

now and then he does get some small,smart heart biscuit,i have to soak them in the stock from the veg and beef.as he's got no teeth [12yrs old]

From what I can make out anything not made in Thailand.

Pedigree, Smart Heart etc seem to have grain(rice,corn etc) as the main ingredients.

The better products from USA have meat as the main ingredients.

Taste of the Wild, Chicken Soup, ANF etc have meat as the first listed ingredients.

Available in Thailand but not cheap. whistling.gif

Do a bit of research online.

My partner is a bit obsessed with finding the very best dog food he can for our two. Current selection is: Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, Orijen Six Fish, Taste of the Wild. Recently there was one with a German name, Hundsflocken or something like that. Not cheap, as Lite Beer says, but there are often promotions available.

Have quite a lot of experience regarding dog food, dog breeder for many years and more importantly had my own company manufacturing dog foods.

Most of the packaged foods here in Thailand consist of grains. If you want your dog to eat what is more naturely for him, look back in history, animals such as dogs do not prefer the choicest cuts from a carcass as humans do, they would go for the gut, that is why I would recommend Tripe as their prefared food along with plain dog biscuits. Tripe can usually be purchased in most Thai markets. Another tip, if your dog gets the runs, for any reason, feed it plain rice with boiled chicken.

Have quite a lot of experience regarding dog food, dog breeder for many years and more importantly had my own company manufacturing dog foods.

Most of the packaged foods here in Thailand consist of grains. If you want your dog to eat what is more naturely for him, look back in history, animals such as dogs do not prefer the choicest cuts from a carcass as humans do, they would go for the gut, that is why I would recommend Tripe as their prefared food along with plain dog biscuits. Tripe can usually be purchased in most Thai markets. Another tip, if your dog gets the runs, for any reason, feed it plain rice with boiled chicken.

what i used to feed the greyhounds on was tripe,shin beef,when our dog had the runs the vet came and told us not to give him any chicken skin or the stock from boiling.but i always wonder what these biscuits are made from.if you google shamuquartely you will see in their magazine they have a lot of expensive foods.

nothing like a nice bit of meat,toasted brown bread, some veg and if you can get them over here vetzyms[yeast tabs].

Sounds like your dog does not need a food that will give him energy,all he needs is a maintenance diet.

It really does not matter that much what you feed him ,do you give him anything else but dogfood?

You could feed him raw or make your own.

I have raised and trained police dogs and have tried all kinds of food that were supposed to be better,it is merely all the same!

Get something he likes,he does not eat much so the cost is not really important.

Make sure if you feed him soft food his teeth stay clean.

Our 3 year old female Doberman eats Pronature. Its the best I can find in Thailand. Imported from the USA so expensive, but I dont see the point in having a quality pedigree dog and feeding it crap.

Tried some of the cheaper brands such as Royal Canine etc, but she had skin issues when she was a puppy.

There's different amounts of protein and fat in Pronature so you can change to suit your dogs needs. If your dog is too hyper, try less protein.

http://www.pronature.ca/en/dog-products/

Available for delivery anywhere in Thailand from here.

http://www.salviartypetshop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=42_144

The best dry dog foods are Science Diet, F-1 and Eukanuba the best locally made product is GM Turbo performance but I breed working dogs so probably not the best for a pomeranian. Kibble shouldn't be the sole part of your dogs diet and should include raw chicken wings or carcass that can be found very cheaply. I also cook for my dogs so that they get vegetables and other minerals so they have some variety in their diet. Having a dry dog food as part of their diet causes no problems at all and is very cost effective just make sure that the primary ingredient is protein and not a grain. Stay away from tinned dog food you can obtain quality fresh meat very cheaply in Thailand and personally I would never feed a dog pedigree I think it's <deleted>, but that's just me

or failing that this may help.....

Basic dog feeding guide:

• Talk to your veterinarian for advice
  • Feed high quality balanced premium commercial food that is appropriate for the life stage and health status of your dog. Check that it complies with the Australian Standard: Manufacturing and Marketing Pet Food AS 5812:2011
  • You can offer some natural foods to provide some variety
  • Natural foods include fresh human-grade raw meat (e.g. raw lamb), raw meaty bones and vegetables
  • Always check with your vet first that raw meaty bones are suitable for your particular dog (e.g. some dogs with misshapen jaws or dental disease may find chewing on raw bones difficult)
  • Choose human-grade raw meat and raw meaty bones because some pet meat/pet mince/pet rolls/pet meat and bone products can contain preservatives that can be detrimental to the dog's health (e.g. sulphite preservative induced thiamine deficiency which can be fatal). However avoid sausages, sausage meat and cooked manufactured meats as they can contain sulphites.
  • Bones must be raw
  • Raw meaty bones such as raw lamb ribs (not lamb chops though), raw lamb flaps and raw chicken wings provide several important health benefits including keeping teeth and gums healthy
  • Too many raw bones may lead to constipation. Generally 1-2 raw bones may be offered per week with a few days in between each serving
  • The bone must be large enough so that the dog cannot fit the whole bone in its mouth or swallow the bone whole
  • Never feed cooked bones as these can splinter and cause internal damage or become an intestinal obstruction
  • Always supervise dogs when they are eating raw bones
  • Dogs ‘like’ bones very much and sometimes become protective. Do take care and discourage young children and others from approaching dogs that are eating.
  • Avoid large marrow bones (these have very thick outer rims), T-bones, 'chop' bones e.g. lamb cutlets, large knuckle bones and bones sawn lengthwise (as done by some butchers) as dogs may crack their teeth on these
  • Dogs may be offered fish such as tinned sardines in springwater, tinned tuna and tinned salmon as a treat occasionally (care with any fish bones). Please avoid feeding fish constantly
  • Dogs may also be offered a small amount of cooked vegetables e.g. pumpkin, carrots etc
  • Cooked meat such as boiled chicken or lamb may also be offered but ensure there are no cooked bones; onions/onion sauces or other toxic substances present (see below)
  • A small amount of cooked plain pasta/rice may be offered but again ensure there are no onions/onion sauces or other toxic substances present (see below)
  • Provide access to grass (avoid chemically treated grass and toxic plants) - dogs will sometimes eat grass which may provide a source of vegetable matter and micronutrients
  • The amount of food required will depend on the dog's size, breed, age and level of exercise, but take care not to overfeed or underfeed. Your vet will be able to weigh your dog, assess your dog's body condition score and provide advice
  • Adults dogs should be fed at least twice a day to help avoid bloat which can be fatal. Also, dogs should not be exercised immediately before or after eating, to avoid bloat, particularly deep-chested dogs.
  • Fresh water must be available at all times
  • Do not feed the following (note this is not an exhaustive list): onions, garlic, chocolate, coffee or caffeine products, avocado, bread dough, grapes, raisins, sultanas, currants, nuts including macadamia nuts, fruit stones (pits) e.g. mango seeds, apricot stones, avocado stones; fruit seeds, corncobs; green unripe tomatoes, mushrooms; fish constantly, cooked bones; small pieces of raw bone, fatty trimmings, Xylitol (sugar substitute found in some products such as some types of sugarfree chewing gum, lollies, baking goods, toothpaste)

In France I use Pedigree Pal, or Pedigree, it's also available in thailand and it's one of the best, but also a bit expensive.

I saw it at Big C

Unfortunately, the formulation in Thailand is different from that in the occident. Less protein, more carbs.

Having a vet practice in Oz, I carry products I trust only.

My daughters dogs started on Eukenuba at 6 wks of age, and the eldest just passed away at age 17.5 yrs. as someone has said, your dog is not going to be eating huge quantities, so feed the best you can.

It is available in Thailand so Google for supplier, but remember, you only need feed aprox 2/3 to 3/4 of amount of normal dog food, due to high digestability. Also craps are way way smaller!!

10 stars for Starky's what to feed!! Except would recommend beef rather than chicken wings or lamb- both have way too much fat, and we see too many cases of pancreatitis in small breed fatties.

Eukenuba makes a small breed line, go for that one

pedigree in thailand is of a much lower quality than the one sold elsewhere.

I use hill's and purina pro plan.

pro plan can be even at 3000b for 20kg compared to pedigree at less than 1000b for 20kg.

hill's I use is a special diet one, 2200b for 7kg.

Really? I thought dogs had evolved eating raw food, not being able to rub two sticks together in their front paws to create fire. They're also not that great with a Zippo. Cooked food is unnatural for them.

Edited by AyG

We buy chicken brisket at ฿20/Kg, Makro, chop it up and cook it. The dogs, (8) between 8 months and 11 years old, are all bright eyed, lively, little s%^s and healthy, no ticks or other parasites, They also get rice in the evening. We used to buy vitamin supplements but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Really? I thought dogs had evolved eating raw food, not being able to rub two sticks together in their front paws to create fire. They're also not that great with a Zippo. Cooked food is unnatural for them.

Agreed, but in our experience raw food, coming from nobody knows where these days, can contain all sorts of gunk. Cooking it will also eliminate any parasites possibly present.

I was going to answer this with logic then I realized your just trolling. Have a nice day. I D 10 T

Edited by Chwooly

I was going to answer this with logic then I realized your just trolling. Have a nice day. I D 10 T

Not trolling. Making a serious point in what I hope was a humorous manner.

I have a 6 month old Pedigree German Shepherd and feed him a mixture of foods but not mixed together other then the vegetables and the occasional raw egg, shell and all, into his dry food. I have found Royal Canin to be one of the best dry foods, it is not cheap, B2500 for 15 kgs but my pup loves it. Has all the vitamins and minerals for a growing pup. They also produce a special mix for small dogs ands as yours is still a pup and growing it would be ideal.

I also feed him broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, not cooked right up, still firm. I also give him raw chicken breast, half a raw chicken with bones, as well as legs and wings. You never have to worry about the bones as by nof being cooked they cannot splinter and harm you pet. He also gets mince pork, heart, liver, a raw egg mixed into the dry food and also sardines and tuna in cans. These go into his dry food also. All the raw food is used as treats when training him and to vary his diet.

I have found that by providing a variety of food, non cooked meat and offal, as dogs in the wild certainly do not cook their food, he has great health, is growing at a steady pace, has a really shiny coat and best of all, his breath and doggy smell are at a minimum.

Edited by Si Thea01

pedigree in thailand is of a much lower quality than the one sold elsewhere.

I use hill's and purina pro plan.

pro plan can be even at 3000b for 20kg compared to pedigree at less than 1000b for 20kg.

hill's I use is a special diet one, 2200b for 7kg.

I like Purina Sport on occasion an egg mixed in.

Sometimes there are promotions and the 6th bag is free.

I have a 6 month old Pedigree German Shepherd and feed him a mixture of foods but not mixed together other then the vegetables and the occasional raw egg, shell and all, into his dry food. I have found Royal Canin to be one of the best dry foods, it is not cheap, B2500 for 15 kgs but my pup loves it. Has all the vitamins and minerals for a growing pup. They also produce a special mix for small dogs ands as yours is still a pup and growing it would be ideal.

I also feed him broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, not cooked right up, still firm. I also give him raw chicken breast, half a raw chicken with bones, as well as legs and wings. You never have to worry about the bones as by nof being cooked they cannot splinter and harm you pet. He also gets mince pork, heart, liver, a raw egg mixed into the dry food and also sardines and tuna in cans. These go into his dry food also. All the raw food is used as treats when training him and to vary his diet.

I have found that by providing a variety of food, non cooked meat and offal, as dogs in the wild certainly do not cook their food, he has great health, is growing at a steady pace, has a really shiny coat and best of all, his breath and doggy smell are at a minimum.

1 thing everyone seems to forget when talking about cooked foods for dogs and their inability to use fire. Dogs will eat carrion before they will eat fresh meat. They will go for the predigested grasses in the stomach and the organ meats before muscle. Now while there is no fire the predigested grasses are in a sense cooked, the stomach acid has started to break down the nutrients and made them more available for the dog to digest, Dogs have a very basic digestive tract. This is why better foods will use chelated minerals as they are more biologically available for the dog.

Just because a dog doesn't cook when on his own doesn't mean he can't benefit from cooked food, ALL your processed dog foods are cooked to some degree. Even extruded foods are subjected to high heat during the extruding process.

So for all those that go on about how dogs can't cook food, then I suggest you feed road kill or just kill a goat or pig allow it to rot in your back yard for a few days or at least until after rigor has run it's course. the nutritional eating requirements of different breeds of dogs are minimal, some breeds require more food as a result of higher activity levels but overall small or large breed, old or young is just a gimmick to get you to buy more expensive dog food.