Burocracy's cost of converting a van into a motorhome

SOMeTOM

Hi,

i was wondering if anybody knows, roughly, what are the cost involved into the conversion of a medium sized vehicle into a motorhome, for costs i only mean the ones related to the legal documentation and NOT the hardware used to do the conversion.

I have seen a old Kia Combi(Asia)for sale, i believe it was used as a school's bus before, if i remove all the (21?) passenger's seats inside and fit in a sleeping/cooking/washing area inside, i think the next step will be to bring it to the DLT in Bangkok for a check/change of use?

And what about the driving license? My current one, show i can drive 3 different kind of vehicles (sedan/pickup/minivan), would i need a different driving license for it? But i guess that those are the only (heavy vehicles)categories allowed for a foreigner in Thai.

• 1 month later...

As long as its still roughly within the size of the original vehicle, Thai authorities don't care and you don't need any special license or registration. If you are stretching it and have the motor home stick out more than 2 meters from the back end, then you may encounter police who stops you for just that reason alone.

• 11 months later...

Converting any kind of vehicle will have to be registered at the DLT. That vehicles aren't within their registered specifications, is a major reason for fines. You cannot just build a box on the back of a pickup truck without registering this with the DLT. The problem is, you cannot register anything heavier than 1600 kg as a private vehicle.

Converting any kind of vehicle will have to be registered at the DLT. That vehicles aren't within their registered specifications, is a major reason for fines. You cannot just build a box on the back of a pickup truck without registering this with the DLT. The problem is, you cannot register anything heavier than 1600 kg as a private vehicle.

There are so many cars > 1600KG I don't even know where to start...

Body style bus

I think your problem lies here!

Go to the licensing office and see if you can get a license for a bus. If so leave it as a bus and do the conversion, leave all the rest as is. You'll need to leave, say, seats for 4 or so anyway.

There will be a huge problem if you try to change the registration to anything other than a bus. Eg. You can register a brand new motorbike and side car. But trying to add a sidecar to an existing bike is, for the Land Transport Dept., like trying to change a lawnmower into a hovercraft.

Edited by VocalNeal

Actually, most private cars are below 1600 kg. All pickup trucks sold here are below that limit. Apart from that, foreigners cannot register buses. Any vehicle that, by its design, is for commercial use, needs a Bai Pragob Garn from the trade department.

Actually, most private cars are below 1600 kg. All pickup trucks sold here are below that limit. Apart from that, foreigners cannot register buses. Any vehicle that, by its design, is for commercial use, needs a Bai Pragob Garn from the trade department.

You're correct in that most C segment and below are less than 1,600 KG kerb weight, but cars get a whole lot heavier than that..

Toyota Camry Hybrid: 1,610 KG

Mazda CX-5 2.2L 6AT 4WD: 1,687 KG

Toyota Hilux 2.8L double cab 6AT 4WD: 2,080 KG

Ford Everest 3.2L 6AT 4WD: 2,346 KG

You can register a car heavier than 1600 kg as a foreigner as a personal vehicle if it is converted into a motorhome. The converted car has to be inspected by an engineer at the Department of Land Transport in Nonthaburi. You will need a full set of technical drawings for that. After the vehicle is registered as a motorhome, you can do with it what you want, even remove all fittings and just load cargo. I'd put the value of the registration alone somewhere in the range between 500,000 and 1 million Baht.

They go to the DLT without spare tire, no tools, empty tank. I have seen people cutting off welded roofs from the back of

pickup trucks and replacing car seats with pillows. Every car that is registered is now photographed on the scale, with the
weight clearly shown in the photo. At 1601 kg, the matter is referred to the head of the branch. He may or may not grant an
exception. And it's no longer a matter of a bribe.