Umbrella's at Nai Harn

stevenl

Today at the beach, I would say about of half of the people had an umbrella. The vast majority of that was brought, they are for sale at the beach shops. The rest were Walls icecream umbrella's, rented out by the Walls guy at 200 Baht.

This was at Nai Harn.

It looked quiet for end of November, but since the beach looks completely different now it is not easy to compare.

So - before it was 200 baht for 2 loungers, small table, and umbrella. And now it's 200 baht just for the umbrella ??

Yes, and since they are Walls's umbrella's I presume they were free for him. He did not have much business though, I would guess about 6-7 or so. But let's say it is more, and 10 for the day, 2,000 Baht extra (besides ice cream) with no additional expenses seems like a good deal. Will be higher at times and lower at others, but still nice. And I could be wrong, it could be more.

Meanwhile, a Swedish family were kicked off Patong Beach by the police for putting up an umbrella they purchased. This should get interesting.

They were not 'kicked off' the beach. The were told not to use an umbrella.

"Regardless, the Tagheim family was forced to leave Patong Beach on November 5 after days of ignoring warnings from local officials to remove their umbrella after Tourist Police officers confirmed that it was not allowed."

Meanwhile, a Swedish family were kicked off Patong Beach by the police for putting up an umbrella they purchased. This should get interesting.

"Regardless, the Tagheim family was forced to leave Patong Beach on November 5 after days of ignoring warnings from local officials to remove their umbrella after Tourist Police officers confirmed that it was not allowed."

Why isn't a privately owned umbrella used for personal use on the beach not allowed? I thought the rule was you had to take it with you when you leave the beach… They just seem to make up rules, rather than enforce the ones on the books. Isn't the beach for public use?

• Like 2

Why isn't a privately owned umbrella used for personal use on the beach not allowed? I thought the rule was you had to take it with you when you leave the beach… They just seem to make up rules, rather than enforce the ones on the books. Isn't the beach for public use?

Yes, it is, hence all the umbrellas at the beach.

Yes, it is, hence all the umbrellas at the beach.

Huh? What does that mean? I own an umbrella, can I use it on the beach now or not?

Might get some nice coverage in the foreign press, and then it's backtracking time.

Would it be allowed to walk with an umbrella on the beach when it's raining?

I now expect many of the larger hotels, and some small foreign owned guest houses, and possibly, businesses other than accommodation, to have their hotel/business name printed on umbrellas, and then supply them to their guests/customers, probably with a deposit.

Free marketing/advertising, down on the beaches.

Use the umbrella as signage.

I now expect many of the larger hotels, and some small foreign owned guest houses, and possibly, businesses other than accommodation, to have their hotel/business name printed on umbrellas, and then supply them to their guests/customers, probably with a deposit.

A few places are doing this now but it isn't ideal for customers to be wondering around with their umbrella and deck chairs for the day (Plus optional picnic and beers etc).

A few places are doing this now but it isn't ideal for customers to be wondering around with their umbrella and deck chairs for the day (Plus optional picnic and beers etc).

I agree it's not ideal for many, but it also must be noted that many prefer a beach that is clear of chairs, umbrellas, vendors etc.

I suppose many hotels and guest houses that are a very short walk from a beach will have high occupany rates now, so their customers do not have to carry their beach equipment very far.

I can see it now..same same the jet ski scam..

You rent a Walls umbrella from the umbrella guy.

It breaks or blows away while in your trust...

Umbrella guy gonna hit you for days out of service charge and broken charge,

same same jet ski scam..Call tourist police if this happens they will help you,

YEH Right...TIT

After today's beach visit I guesstimate the percentage of people with umbrella's has increased to 95%, nearly all of them bought.

Bought or brought or rented

For sure not rented at the beach. I think bought at the small shops alongside the beach.

According to an article in one of the local publications that is mentioned in Forum rule 26: The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum. The police and army were confiscating personal umbrellas from tourists on Surin Beach. Local governments have turned into a joke it would seem, only looking to line their pockets. No quotes involved in my post.

• Like 1

Should of left everything as it was...it's turned into a joke. I actually can't believe it. The army seizing umbrellas....why don't they go and fight ISIS...would be better use of their time than the fight against umbrellas.

Looks like Hong Kong is not the only place to have an "umbrella revolution." cheesy.gif

Should of left everything as it was...it's turned into a joke. I actually can't believe it. The army seizing umbrellas....why don't they go and fight ISIS...would be better use of their time than the fight against umbrellas.

Looks like Hong Kong is not the only place to have an "umbrella revolution." cheesy.gif

+1 :=)

After today's beach visit I guesstimate the percentage of people with umbrella's has increased to 95%, nearly all of them bought.

For sure not rented at the beach. I think bought at the small shops alongside the beach.

Vendors now walking the beach at Nai Harn selling umbrellas.

Vendors now walking the beach at Nai Harn selling umbrellas.

I wouldn't be surprised if the vendors offer to buy them back, at a reduced price, as people leave the beach.