Safty Of Traveling In Bangkok And All Of Thailand With 5k Wroth Of Computer/video...

Slated

As I stated in a previous thread, I'll be relocating to Bangkok in just a few weeks.

Due to the nature of my business, I will be traveling within Bangkok and much of Thailand on a weekly basis.

My travel within Bangkok, I plan to use all public transportation to keep overhead low.

I have a large black backpack, that is virtually un marked, but has an XPS in gold near the back bottom. Within the backpack will be my 4k XPS notebook, and a 1k video cam.

When traveling in Bangkok, I will always have my backpack on, and when traveling throughout Thailand, I will have it, as well as a weekend bag of clothes.

Being a Farang, and it being a nice backpack, though the goods inside will not be visible, do I need to worry any more than I would if I were in Chicago or London?

Thanks!

If it's bothering you that much, why don't you buy a cheapo Thai back pack for a couple of hundred baht, dress like a back packer, and don't wear any expensive jewelry or watches.

That'll make you even more safe. :o

If it's bothering you that much, why don't you buy a cheapo Thai back pack for a couple of hundred baht, dress like a back packer, and don't wear any expensive jewelry or watches.

That'll make you even more safe. :o

I would, but then would lose credibility at meetings.

i have done this too and i did have a problem in koh samui- my bungalow was broken into and i lost over $5k US worth of stuff. try to keep it in deposit boxes or locked with a kensington lock.

i think the difference between Thailand and say the US or the UK is that in Thailand there is almost no chance of you being mugged. However, what you do have to be careful of is having your stuff stolen - such as from the luggage compartment of a long distance bus, train etc. or from your room or even the safe of a hotel.

If you can keep your stuff with you at all times then you should be fine.

i think the difference between Thailand and say the US or the UK is that in Thailand there is almost no chance of you being mugged. However, what you do have to be careful of is having your stuff stolen - such as from the luggage compartment of a long distance bus, train etc. or from your room or even the safe of a hotel.

While staying at the Majestic Suites, I had planned to leave my gear there while searching for apartments.

Any ideas on what I should do to keep my Laptop and camera safe while away?

Every time you arrive at a new place, put your backpack on the floor and piss all over it, (paying special attention to the zip areas). This should deter some theives from attempting to look inside.

Jeez, what an intelligent post!

While rare, it's probably good to know 3 vulnerabilities. There have been some instances reported of womens purses being slit open from the back and the content removed undetected while they browse crowded markets. On overnight buses, when people fall asleep, that's when thieves have been known to go to work going through everyones bags taking all valuables undetected. And others have reported their goods stolen from coffee shops when they sling them over a nearby chair or take a quick restroom break. The only way to be really sure is to have an eyeball on it at all times.

As I stated in a previous thread, I'll be relocating to Bangkok in just a few weeks.

Due to the nature of my business, I will be traveling within Bangkok and much of Thailand on a weekly basis.

My travel within Bangkok, I plan to use all public transportation to keep overhead low.

I have a large black backpack, that is virtually un marked, but has an XPS in gold near the back bottom. Within the backpack will be my 4k XPS notebook, and a 1k video cam.

When traveling in Bangkok, I will always have my backpack on, and when traveling throughout Thailand, I will have it, as well as a weekend bag of clothes.

Being a Farang, and it being a nice backpack, though the goods inside will not be visible, do I need to worry any more than I would if I were in Chicago or London?

Thanks!

i travel to work daily(on the skytrain + a short walk) with at least 5K worth of tech gear(in a laptop bag) and a 10K Breitling on my wrist. never had any problems(touch wood). your probably more likely to get mugged in New york.

While staying at the Majestic Suites, I had planned to leave my gear there while searching for apartments.

Any ideas on what I should do to keep my Laptop and camera safe while away?

I never had any problems at the majestic. I bought an older Samsonite suitcase at a 2nd hand store in the US that had clasp key locks and a combination lock in the middle. The older Samsonite hard bodied suitcases are very tough. I kept the guts of two disassembled computers in the case. It was Samsonites largest suitcase and would have been very obvious if some one was stealing it. When I got to where I was going in Thailand I rebuilt the computers for a fraction of what the overweight air charges would have been.

I have the same laptop Gen II XPS (play WOW)in the same bag never worry about it mind you I have the most trustworthy Taxi driver in Thailand also. I don't think many Thai know that the backpack holds a laptop nor do they know anything about the Gen II XPS in it because its not available in Thailand.

If you want you can contact Mr. Vee he has a new MU7 taxi and is absoloutly honest, he is also my nieghbor and his wife and daughter visit with my wife daily. You can contact him at 09 238 1918 in Bangkok he doesn't speak much English.

If it's preying on your mind at all, why not travel around Bangkok by taxi - it's far from expensive.

It just takes 4ever...

He'll learn, after a couple of trips on the open air red and blue busses!

and how much credibility would you have if you turned up at the meeting having just had your machine nicked??..if you can ''do your stuff'' then no one will care if you carry you machine in a logoed bag or a Tesco Lotus carrier bag!!!!!

and how much credibility would you have if you turned up at the meeting having just had your machine nicked??..if you can ''do your stuff'' then no one will care if you carry you machine in a logoed bag or a Tesco Lotus carrier bag!!!!!

I was commenting on the 'dress like a backpacker' post

I have no fears of public transportation after my time in the USMC