Friend has HIV but no job. Social Sec?

pauleddy

Could anyone help me with this one?

A Thai friend was diagnosed HIV about two years ago. He had the tests within Social Security and started AZT-type meds from his local nominated hospital (even though the public wing is, of course, much less nice than the private area).

All was average/ok/normal for 18 months, but then he lost his job---which seems to mean, as he explains it, that he must pay his own SS to continue public treatment.

Yes, he is Thai.

Now he is telling me that the SS at the rate he pays as unemployed will stop completely after one year (for all Thais). Evidently, this means that the price will go up OR the treatment will stop (??) I have helped him before with money, but I can't continue to do so.

As a westerner, I can't believe that someone with HIV will just be allowed to get ill because they cannot find a job and because the SS has a time-cap.

Can anybody explain this to me?

I have tried to explain that there must be some kind of safety net, and that people just don't die etc (even in Thailand) but he is adamant that he will get no more SS help after next month and that he must pay 2000b a month, which is impossible for him.

I am very worried, and also a little concerned that he is not telling the whole truth, but I know him well enough to believe what he normally tells me.

Thx

Eddy

Pay your own SS is between 300-500bht per month (depending on the age you started working), once in, you can continue until you die at the same price.

You pay, or employer pays, all the same to them, as long as they get continuous payments, they don't care who pays.

Government treatment is free to all Thai citizens (sometimes 30bht a visit).

Thailand has a 3 tier health system, Private, SS, government.

The main difference between the three, for Thais, seems to be queuing time.

Private, no queue, SS, two hour queue, government, all day queue.

Sounds like he is trying to score some free money off you.

Edited by BritManToo

If your friend had SS and lost their job, they would have to sign up and start paying SS on their own. The cost is 432B per month.

There is no time limit as long as they pay on their own.

If they stop paying they can continue coverage for 6 months.

For no payments a month your friend is eligible for treatment under the '30 baht' scheme.

To my knowledge, he can remain covered by the SS system for life as long as he keeps paying into it. Any questions on that score should be directed to the SS Office (google for local address and number).

Should he for some reason no longer be under SS he would then come under the universal (AKA "30 baht" or "gold card") scheme so either way he will be able to get treatment. Under SS he has some choice of hospital and also can choose doctor whereas under the universal care he has to be treated at the hospital responsible for wherever he has his house registration (or a higher level facility they refer him to) and cannot choose his doc. So well worth staying under SS if he can make the payments.

Not only is the truth being stretched about the insurance situation, I'd question if the ARVs will cost 2000 baht/month even if he didn't have insurance. I know foreigners who obtain ARVs at Suan Dok hospital, who wait all day in the queue to see the doctor because they have limited funds. Their ARVs don't cost them that much each month. Yes, maybe if they were to the private hospital, they'd pay that much for the ARVs, but not in the gov't hospital.

I am not absolutely sure, but I think that your friend can keep his SS paying about 2400thb/year, even without employment, keeping the 30thb Government system, and also using services in contracts with SS in some private hospitals

Its also will keep its qualifications for retirement income after 60 years old..

At least, that is what Thai people I know do.

Edited by umbanda

Thanks for the help.

I think he will have to find the 432b a month OR he will have to go home to Esaan and go under the 30b scheme in his district.

I can't see further options. can you?

Eddy

No, these are the options and both will get him the treatment he needs.

If the reason he is not working is ill health, once on meds for a while his health will return to normal and should be able to work.