90 day report-i'm 51 days late. whats the consequences?

need a bit of help, guys

on 8th september i paid 1900b for i year visa (to be able to stay in the monasteries)

it was a renewal of the old religious visa

so i thought i got 90 days. today i looked at the sheet which gives date for the report

to my horror it says report 3rd october! no mistake--its in black and white

it says.......

HAVE RECEIVED NOTIFICATION OF STAYING IN THAILAND FOR 90 DAYS FROM.....7th july 2014

NOTIFY YOUR ADDRESS ON.....3rd october 2014

my old visa lasted 14 months because they included the time remaining on the mandatory 3 month

visa you must get before applying for the one year visa

do i stand to lose 20k and a prison sentence?

is there any way out of this?

cheers

thanks for your assurance it will be 2000b max. that helps a lot-a real lot!

was freaking out a bit

i have a mind that wants to contest this. seems very unfair: i pay for new visa

8 sept and they they state it started 2 full months ago on the very day i pay for it

this is theft. theyre giving me 10 months

i cannot see how they are in the right here

was freaking out a bit

8 sept and they they state it started 2 full months ago on the very day i pay for it

You're confusing visas with permissions to stay/extenstions of stay and with 90 day reports.

Seems somewhat odd that you claim you are staying in a monastery, but you're accusing people of theft and being in the wrong when it's clearly you who has things muddled. Maybe a bit more contemplation and reflection is needed all around.

on 8th september i paid 1900b for i year visa (to be able to stay in the monasteries)

it was a renewal of the old religious visa

No you were getting an extension of stay that extended your permission to stay, not a new visa nor an old visa.

was freaking out a bit

---------------------

The one year extension/visa and the 90 day report requirement are two different things.

The immigration law clearly states that any foreigner living in Thailand for more than 90 days must report his or her address to immigration every 90 days.

This is outside of any visa you may have.

Your one year extension/visa is not affected by the reporting requirement.

It's just that if you stay in Thailand for longer than 90 days without leaving the country, you need to report your address/location every 90 days.

The max[mum fee they will normally fine you for not reporting is 2000 Baht.

Unless they decide that you deliberately abused the reporting system (by knowing you had to report, but deliberately refused to report).

In that case (which is very rare) they can increase the fine up to 5000 Baht as a punishment for deliberately not reporting..

even though you knew you were required to.

That is why they put that notice in your passport ..... so you would know you had to go back and do a reporting 90 days after they gave you the extension/visa.

Is it true that the fine is the same 2000 baht whether you're 30 days late or 300? If so, might as well skip reporting for the rest of the current extension period and pony-up the two grand at your next visit for extension renewal in September.

[edit] I just noticed the post saying it could be as much as 5000... depending. That makes it a bit more pressing. I guess you have to decide whether it's worth the lost wages and taxi fare four times a year instead of just paying the fine once.

Edited by attrayant

Many moons ago I made the mistake of thinking my non O (400k thingy) visa was for a year, no questions asked. By that, I didn't realise I had to report every 90 days. Yeah, my bad. I was stupid and wasn't listening properly at the time.

Upshot was I was about to renew my visa, and got my passport out. I then realised my mistake. It said something about reporting every 90 days. Called a few people and they all confimed that I should've been going to local Imm every 90 days. I was about a 320 days late. I almost pooped. Called a lawyer I knew and he told me not to worry as it was not overstay it was just non reporting, then to just go in to Imm and explain but have the fine (I think it was 2k) ready but to have 20k, just in case.

I went with 20k. I actually felt sick with worry when I sat down with the officer. I explained everything to him, wringing my hands in shame etc. It was some performance. Only for the guy to stare silenty at me while I spoke. He then pointed to to his mate at another desklaugh.png So, I had to do it all again. He just laughed and said ''Don't worry. Not overstay. Visa not finish. Just don't forget when new visa, ok?'' I thanked him and asked how much the fine was. He said 'no fine..don't worry.''

That was Pathum Thani Immigration some time ago, and I hear it's normal for Imm officers to take the 2k (up to 5k I hear) for the late 90 day report.

So, try not to worry too much and have the fine ready. Perhaps more if they make life tough for you, but as long as your visa hasn't expired you don't need to have a heart attack just yet. I'm sure you're aware already, but make sure you never overstay an actual visa. Not reporting is not overstay if the visa hasn't run out, if you get my drift.

Be apologetic and take any fine on the chin. You shoud be ok.

EDIT:

Ooops. Didn't see your last post OP. Glad it worked out ok for you.

Edited by Fatty123

Is it true that the fine is the same 2000 baht whether you're 30 days late or 300? If so, might as well skip reporting for the rest of the current extension period and pony-up the two grand at your next visit for extension renewal in September.

[edit] I just noticed the post saying it could be as much as 5000... depending. That makes it a bit more pressing. I guess you have to decide whether it's worth the lost wages and taxi fare four times a year instead of just paying the fine once.

Or you report by registred mail.