Motorcycle Mechanic

gabe

I want to make a post about my recent purchase experience. I recently purchased a large 400cc motorcycle (used). The so-called mechanics at the small shop where i purchased my motorcycle seemed to better at breaking things than fixings things on my motorcycle. I took my motorcycle to the RedBaronBKK shop to have some minor maintenance done and the employees and mechanics there did not seem to like farang all that much. The motorcycle now does not want to start and i do not know what is causing the motorcycle to not start. Do any TV members know of a good reliable motorcycle mechanic in the Bangkok area?

Never heard of any mechanic problems with Siam Sportbike on Pattanakarn Rd.

Forget Red Baron. I get the impression that they cater for Thai and Japs. I never seem to feel welcome there somehow.

I had them put on a rear tyre and later noticed that the swing arm end caps which are for adjusting the chain tension, were upside down. They're clearly marked 'UP'. No big deal but they both have holes on one edge to allow any water in the swingarm to drain out.

Also, noticed a severe wobble in the tyre when re-adjusting to the correct tension and saw that the tyre wasn't seated properly on the rim. Lucky I noticed it the same day otherwise I would've lost a lot of life out of the tread very quickly.

I had to have a complete engine strip down to replace a drive shaft about a year ago and they seemed to have done a good job with that. But after picking the bike up and while filling up, I noticed light scratches on the fairing and skid pan. Clearly someone must've test ridden it and took a slow speed dump on it.

Waste of time going back to complain because they no doubt would've denied everything and put the blame on me. My fault in a way for not checking the bike thoroughly.

Twice bitten, thrice shy?

I've been to Red Baron, they seem ok to me if you can talk to the mechanics. Good selection of spares too.

There's another big bike shop on Sri-Nakarin just before the big BMW dealer, opposite the Saim Commercial Bank, they seem to know their stuff.

I swear by Teera Motorcycles on the corner of Urupong and Rama1??

Alex, the manager speaks good english, and they are only too keen to help you out. As for Siam Superbikes, i went in there half a dozen times with my pockets bulging with cash when looking for a bike, and i couldnt get any service from anybody. I ended up buying privately.

I have also heard that their after sales service is terrible from a few of my biking friends. One of my friends waited over six months for the owner (australian guy?) to sort out the Green book for his bike. Wouldnt even answer his calls after a while.

The shop that Terdsak refers to is Pong Superbike on Srinakarin Rd. They are seriously overpriced and speak very little English, but on the couple of times i have been in there they have tried their upmost to be of service to me, which i like. Effort is 90% of the service after all in my book.

Teera do have a website, but i cant remember the URL. Most small bike shops really dont have a clue, and when it comes to maintaining a bike, Teera are the only ones i feel confident letting near mine.

Siamsuperbike is owned by "Peter" from New Zealand I found him very good to deal with,

I have also dealt with Red Baron service manager 12 months ago he was excellent thats why the Ducatti dealer head hunted him away (simple more baht) - when you had a problem did you speak to Vickrom(excuse spelling) I am sure he would be more than disapointed to hear of your displeasure.

There is nothing worse for business than a dissatisfied customer but it hard to rectify if you are not aware of the problem!

Edited by mijan24

Alex, the manager speaks good english, and they are only too keen to help you out. As for Siam Superbikes, i went in there half a dozen times with my pockets bulging with cash when looking for a bike, and i couldnt get any service from anybody. I ended up buying privately.

I have also heard that their after sales service is terrible from a few of my biking friends. One of my friends waited over six months for the owner (australian guy?) to sort out the Green book for his bike. Wouldnt even answer his calls after a while.

The shop that Terdsak refers to is Pong Superbike on Srinakarin Rd. They are seriously overpriced and speak very little English, but on the couple of times i have been in there they have tried their upmost to be of service to me, which i like. Effort is 90% of the service after all in my book.

Teera do have a website, but i cant remember the URL. Most small bike shops really dont have a clue, and when it comes to maintaining a bike, Teera are the only ones i feel confident letting near mine.

I have a Kawi 750 twin that I need parts for (Speedo cable, speedomoter/tachometer) what bike do u have and are these parts gettable in these shops u recommend ??

Can't say my first and last experience with Siam Super Bike was good. I bought a ZX9r from peter which was in good shape. However I had him service my CBR400 and he charged me a ridicules amount for work not even done. Some was so obvious like changing for brake fluid when the reservoir caps hadn't been off. Or parts that were never replaced its hit and miss everywhere I guess. Went to Precha Tanayont after that experience and bought 2 bikes since with excellent service.

Edited by Sakeopete

LOL I just noticed this part of your post Moonfruit, The same thing happened to me I tried for over a year to get the remaining papers from Peter to register my ZX9R. Finally after empty promises and no replies to e-mails I resorted to paying tea money for my green book.

The sad thing is I only went to him because I wanted to give my business to a fellow Farang! :o

Hi Guys

Would you let them work on a Harley to 1,4 mill Baht?????, dont think so

Seen a lot of "harley" Mechanic, belive me they dont know what they are doing

a few weeks ago i did see one there had all the wiring of a harley, i asked what was wrong "it dont charge",, my god all the wiring apart just to find out it dont charge.....