Prayut tells NRC to allow students to offer proposals for national reform

webfact

ANTI-COUP PROTESTS
Students to get forums to air views

The Nation

Prayut tells NRC to allow students to offer proposals for national reform

BANGKOK: -- The government will set up forums to allow students to express their views on reform after intelligence units learned that more anti-coup and anti-government protests are being planned, PM's Office Minister Suwaphan Tanyuvardhana said yesterday.

Suwaphan said some protesters had good intentions, but some may have a hidden agenda, ulterior or political motives.

In a move to prevent rallies, he said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the National Reform Council (NRC) and the King's Prajadhipok Institute to allow students to participate in the reform process by expressing their views and knowledge.

He said it was not necessary to relax any rules, because the NRC is able to work under special regulations.

The format of the forum for students to air their opinions will be made public in a few days.

Suwapan added that the Council of State was reviewing the Gathering of People at Public Places Bill after the Cabinet accepted it in principle. He said once this bill is passed, law enforcers may have legal measures to deal with protests and other special laws may not be necessary.

Separately, police rounded up seven Thammasat University students yesterday for distributing flyers at the university's football field.

The group, calling itself "Thammasat Freedom for Democracy", distributed leaflets featuring the statements of late academic Chit Phumisak.

The students said they were doing this in memory of their lecturer Somsak Jeamteerasakul, who disappeared briefly after being summoned by the National Council for Peace and Order.

The lecturer later emerged and communicated with his followers via Facebook.

Meanwhile, one student was taken to Samranrat Police Station, while the other six were taken to Chana Songkram Police Station.

Dr Niran Pitakwatchara, the National Human Rights Commissioner, said the government should not resort to martial law to stop people expressing their views.

"State officials are also uneasy about enforcing martial law against people, because this law is used in times of war. People who want to express their views in an academic manner should not be deprived of their right," he said.

Though nobody has filed a complaint with the Rights Commission about their rights being violated, the agency is likely to discuss the problem and issue a statement calling on the government to not violate people's basic right to express themselves.

'People not happy'

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, who also serves as defence minister, moved yesterday to deter anti-coup protesters from staging further protests, citing several opinion surveys that show most people disapprove of anti-coup protests.

A Dusit Poll found that most people disagreed with the five Khon Kaen University students' anti-coup gesture before Prayut last week.

Of 1,302 respondents, 79 per cent believed the students should not have staged the protest, as the national political situation is not totally calm.

Prawit, meanwhile, called on those who want to stage protests to give the government a year to ease the political divide and bring about national reconciliation.

"We only ask for one year to achieve our mission," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Students-to-get-forums-to-air-views-30248482.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-25

• Like 1

There are many people with an insight and some good ideas. The NRC is made up of a set of people that certainly share some traits and are very unlikely to have as broad a viewing collectively as possible. There is always a benefit for providing a method for anyone to raise an idea. I would like to see a forum where others could vote privately for ideas within segregated areas (of ideas), the poll does not need to get public but would highlight the more popular ones for closer scrutiny and consideration.

There is no vehicle, at least none I know of for raising issues of national concern and there should be since this is a very young democracy with many gaping holes that need to be urgently addressed especially with the upcoming AEC

• Like 2

General Prayuth knows full well the political implications that students can cause (1972)and is doing the right thing in allowing students to offer proposals, wont hurt anybody , (unless the students demand they are introduced) , as the student revolution proved that soldiers will not shoot their brothers ,sisters , Mum ,Dad, relations etc and laid down their arms and swapped sides, the General cannot afford anymore sideshows on his watch, another revolution may remove the Generals as department heads as a trade off. coffee1.gif

Edited by chainarong
  • Like 1

I like this guy more and more every day, even with his mistakes and lack of political experience....that is exactly why he sounds sincere and down to heart. I prefer somebody like him than to any professional politician to run any country.

A lot done in just 6 months and going strong, without using violence. Remember, he is a professional soldier. I praise his restrain.

• Like 1

Pathetic.

It is becoming increasingly clear that this whole thing is a sham from end to end.

The junta have run out of ideas and are running around like chickens with their heads cut off wondering what the hell to do next.

They react to every little thing instead of putting their foots down and just getting on with the job at hand.

Why not just allow the entire public to have their say in reforms, why not build a website like TV and run a massive national forum?

The students are not stupid, they know you won't listen to, let alone implement a single idea of theirs.

Looks to me like the Junta are running scared and that they seem to think they are going to be brought down by a bunch of students and a silly Hollywood three finger salute.

They really are showing their Achilles heal/.

Student are suppose to be in school, and not in politics. Finish your study first.

What about those studying politics?

Those are as you say, studying politics, and will be knowledgeable enough about the subject when they finished their studies successfully.

Pathetic.

It is becoming increasingly clear that this whole thing is a sham from end to end.

The junta have run out of ideas and are running around like chickens with their heads cut off wondering what the hell to do next.

They react to every little thing instead of putting their foots down and just getting on with the job at hand.

Why not just allow the entire public to have their say in reforms, why not build a website like TV and run a massive national forum?

The students are not stupid, they know you won't listen to, let alone implement a single idea of theirs.

Looks to me like the Junta are running scared and that they seem to think they are going to be brought down by a bunch of students and a silly Hollywood three finger salute.

They really are showing their Achilles heal/.

That could be a little too close to the truth for comfort! If somebody starts to organise these students (and pay them), we could have another 1976 Thammasat on our hands. I sure hope not, but your non-prophesying could actually be a phophecy. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

I like this guy more and more every day, even with his mistakes and lack of political experience....that is exactly why he sounds sincere and down to heart. I prefer somebody like him than to any professional politician to run any country.

A lot done in just 6 months and going strong, without using violence. Remember, he is a professional soldier. I praise his restrain.

Definitely not "any" country as then you are including the top 10 or so countries in the worlds that do have functioning democracies. But certainly where there is no functioning democracy and the place is being looted by criminals then I have to agree. His few dumbass Army raised stuff ups are well out weighted by his intention and the steady progress along the objective of reforms and set out path to elections.

And it does sink into his head eventually when he has made a stuff up and needs to reconsider. Case in point this one where the five students got in his face, but his face was not to big that he came around to this resolution.

And agree for all the idiotic comments from the usual suspects and even on this subject “the democracy are only elections bleaters” brainlessly as usual going on about the five students disappearing and Army dealing to them blah blah blab bull crap...he constantly proves those idiots wrong.

What amuses me is he is Army yet the guns and thuggery are not there that were there under the Thaksin thugs reigns yet the usual bleaters go on here that Thailand is comparable to North Korea etc. What one does see in controlled dictatorships like North Korea, Nazi Germany etc.. are the banners and portraits everywhere of the God master. The usual bleaters perhaps miss the portraits of Thaksin and Yingluck that adorned every part of Thailand. Remind us again who the dictatorial thugs were. Thankfully they are long gone and the only portraits adorning Thailand are those of who we know are recognised with honour but will not consider mentioning in the same breath of fugitive criminals.

The usual bleaters also seem to miss the point that this current Military governance is temporary.

• Like 2

Definitely not "any" country as then you are including the top 10 or so countries in the worlds that do have functioning democracies. But certainly where there is no functioning democracy and the place is being looted by criminals then I have to agree. His few dumbass Army raised stuff ups are well out weighted by his intention and the steady progress along the objective of reforms and set out path to elections.

And it does sink into his head eventually when he has made a stuff up and needs to reconsider. Case in point this one where the five students got in his face, but his face was not to big that he came around to this resolution.

And agree for all the idiotic comments from the usual suspects and even on this subject “the democracy are only elections bleaters” brainlessly as usual going on about the five students disappearing and Army dealing to them blah blah blab bull crap...he constantly proves those idiots wrong.

What amuses me is he is Army yet the guns and thuggery are not there that were there under the Thaksin thugs reigns yet the usual bleaters go on here that Thailand is comparable to North Korea etc. What one does see in controlled dictatorships like North Korea, Nazi Germany etc.. are the banners and portraits everywhere of the God master. The usual bleaters perhaps miss the portraits of Thaksin and Yingluck that adorned every part of Thailand. Remind us again who the dictatorial thugs were. Thankfully they are long gone and the only portraits adorning Thailand are those of who we know are recognised with honour but will not consider mentioning in the same breath of fugitive criminals.

The usual bleaters also seem to miss the point that this current Military governance is temporary.

well said, just hope that it is temporary and hope they keep their promise of being in office for 1 year. The past 6 months has been pretty peaceful and the most any government has accomplish in such a short period. There are always pitifall and mistakes, that's a given, so far no major boo boo for all I can other than limiting the freedom of press. But why can't people live without criticizing the army? they are not kililng anyone, preventing any movements, or effecting anyone's business.

People talk about country being divided, yes there is always the problem with rich and poor. But the ironic part is that PTP who preaches about this issues are actually the one dividing the country themselves, setting up red villages and road markers signifying red zones in the Northern provinces.

If politics can be cleaned up and rules adhere to, won't the future look brighter for all? instead of the same politician shenanigans like in the past decade.

• Like 1

The students were widely applauded in Australian Media and social media -

I think students have passion -

And i know of two couples who cancelled their trip to Thailand and changed it to elsewhere after seeing students arrested for freedom of speech.

Though the Government tries - this will be something they will be struggling to control.

And every time it happens people are shocked (not by the student protest) but the laws that forbid it.

I hope peace reins and Thailand works all this out -

But its perceived as being oppressive by many mainstream countries for controlling its citizens this way

Edited by Fred Flinstone

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There are many people with an insight and some good ideas. The NRC is made up of a set of people that certainly share some traits and are very unlikely to have as broad a viewing collectively as possible. There is always a benefit for providing a method for anyone to raise an idea. I would like to see a forum where others could vote privately for ideas within segregated areas (of ideas), the poll does not need to get public but would highlight the more popular ones for closer scrutiny and consideration.

There is no vehicle, at least none I know of for raising issues of national concern and there should be since this is a very young democracy with many gaping holes that need to be urgently addressed especially with the upcoming AEC

There is no vehicle ....for raising issues of national concern.." What happened to public referendums? Some nations use this vehicle almost exclusively for government policies.

Edited by rickirs

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The idea of an "uncontrolled" dictatorship is an oxymoron, much like military "intelligence". And for the idea that public portraits of demoractically elected leaders are somehow related to dictators, wouldn't that also follow when EVERY DAY you see and hear Gen. Prayuth?

“Suwapan added that the Council of State was reviewing the Gathering of People at Public Places Bill after the Cabinet accepted it in principle. He said once this bill is passed, law enforcers may have legal measures to deal with protests and other special laws may not be necessary.”

There you are – translation of martial law into a permanent civil law. That would certainly be a big relief to NCPO not have to continue using its armed forces to control the population.

Correcting a possible typo: Prawit, meanwhile, called on those who want to stage protests to give the government a year to erase the political divide and bring about national reconciliation.

Student are suppose to be in school, and not in politics. Finish your study first.

What about those studying politics?

Let them finish their studies first, because they're studying doesn't qualify them yet, does it?