Swiss man 'commits suicide' at his East Pattaya Home

webfact

Swiss man “commits suicide” at his East Pattaya Home

PATTAYA: -- A 69 year old Swiss resident of Pattaya appears to have committed suicide at his East Pattaya home on Monday afternoon, after he discharged himself from Hospital against the advice of medical staff.

Police and rescue workers made their way the house in the Pong area in East Pattaya and were directed to a ground floor toilet. Inside was the body of Mr. Pierre Georges Glauser. He was covered in blood due to a number of deep lacerations to his wrists, neck and stomach. Next to the body was a blood-stained knife and on the dining table of the house, a letter in English was found which detailed his reasons for the suicide.

Police spoke with the victim’s Thai Wife, Khun Wassana aged 35 who revealed that she had been married to Mr. Glauser for 6 years and the pair had a 5 year old child together.

On Sunday Night he was taken to Banglamung Hospital by his Wife, suffering from breathing difficulties, which was thought to have been caused by an ongoing health condition.

He was diagnosed with pulmonary edema and pneumonia and was taken to a 4th floor ward for further treatment. At 9am on Monday, He reportedly discharged himself against medical advice and told his Wife he refused to die in Hospital. He refused any medication and left with a warning that, if untreated, his current condition could lead to his death.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/155892/swiss-man-commits-suicide-at-his-east-pattaya-home/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-11-25

• Like 1

@ SOTIRIOS ...

The link continues with this ...

"He apparently locked himself in the toilet and she became concerned due to the length of time he was in there. A technician was fixing their swimming pool at the time and she asked him to break-open the door when the discovery of Mr. Glauser’s body was made."

...it would suggest that it is not conclusive...

...one would question how it could happen with his wife present....

"...one would question how it could happen with his wife present...."

One might if one disregarded the fact that he had locked himself in the bathroom where his wife was not present.

Poor guy.

But I would by far have preferred to die in hospital rather than using a knife on myself, leaving the whole mess to be discovered by my wife.

In Some way I can imagine why he did it. Probably no funds or sufficient insurance to cover the medical expenses, which would cause a very nasty way towards eternity.

Since most people are more afraid of the process of dying than death itself, he chose his own way.

Not very elegant and sad for wife and child.

R.I.P.

Edited by joepattaya1961
  • Like 1

RIP. Sorry to hear about this. As an aside, and I could be wrong, but I thought pulmonary edema and pneumonia are both treatable? No wisecrack attempts here. It's an honest question to medical experts in the forum.

Edited by outsider

While feeling sad about the man's state of mind which drove him to this, I feel even greater sadness for his 5 years old daughter. She is now left without a father, future uncertain.

I wonder why so many old men come to Thailand and have children. On any given day in major supermarkets, young kids with very old men as fathers are to be seen. In this case, the father would have been 80 when she was 16.

Should we teach birth control to the old men now, not just those starting out?

While feeling sad about the man's state of mind which drove him to this, I feel even greater sadness for his 5 years old daughter. She is now left without a father, future uncertain.

I wonder why so many old men come to Thailand and have children. On any given day in major supermarkets, young kids with very old men as fathers are to be seen. In this case, the father would have been 80 when she was 16.

Should we teach birth control to the old men now, not just those starting out?

The 'old men' with young kids are not always their fathers. I am occasionally in Tesco Lotus, South Pattaya with my grand kids - yes, I've been here that long!!

Mind you, I quite enjoy walking around with my Thai daughter-in-law with the grandkids in tow. Receive a few interesting looksrolleyes.gif The wife doesn't always see the funny side, though!

RIP to the Swiss guy.

Edited by dabhand

Poor guy.

But I would by far have preferred to die in hospital rather than using a knife on myself, leaving the whole mess to be discovered by my wife.

In Some way I can imagine why he did it. Probably no funds or sufficient insurance to cover the medical expenses, which would cause a very nasty way towards eternity.

Since most people are more afraid of the process of dying than death itself, he chose his own way.

Not very elegant and sad for wife and child.

R.I.P.

Yes very sad. It would seem from a few of the comments here that some posters do not quite understand the implications of pulmonary edema or ongoing health problem as quoted in the article.

My father died of chronic pulmonary obstructive disease. It is incurable. It takes a long time to die. Think several years of having an oxygen bottle close to your side - unable to take more than a few steps before losing your breath and essentially being housebound and dependant on others for pretty much everything. I suspect the gentleman in question was well aware of what lay ahead for him, and also the ongoing suffering and pain that it would cause his wife and daughter to witness until the end.

@outsider - yes it is treatable but not curable. Treatable with steroids amongst other things which also then introduce other health problems.. but the final stages of this illness are really debilitating and require frequent visits to hospital. We cant know why the gentleman decided to end his life - but I rather suspect that he prefered to spare his daughter and wife the misery of watching him suffer and also to save what would likely be astronomical hospital costs and leave his family with as much as possible to provide for their future.

Edited by Shadychris

One would also question why the suicide note was in English and not German or French?

I wouldn't question either how it could happen with his wife present - if indeed she was, or would I question why the note was in English rather than French or German.

As a Swiss national probably his second language after either French, German or Italian depending on his regionality, would have been English, in the same way that most Europeans second language is English. Quite possible he may have communicated with his wife in English.

If he was not fluent in Thai writing then it would be logical to choose English rather than German or French, as more chance of his wife and the authorities understanding it..

After only a few weeks membership of this forum it's already quite apparent that there is a considerable body of speculative conspiracy theorists on board here!

Edited by Shadychris

One would also question why the suicide note was in English and not German or French?

I wouldn't question either how it could happen with his wife present - if indeed she was, or would I question why the note was in English rather than French or German.

As a Swedish national probably his second language would have been English, in the same way that most Europeans second language is English. Quite possible he may have communicated with his wife in English.

If he was not fluent in Thai writing then it would be logical to choose English rather than Swiss, as more chance of his wife and the authorities understanding it..

After only a few weeks membership of this forum it's already quite apparent that there is a considerable body of speculative conspiracy theorists on board here!

He was Swiss, not Swedish. He was an old Swiss person so his English would be not brilliant. As a Swiss national his first language would have been German or French and second language (if he had one, would have been German or French - depending which one was his first). Younger Scandis might have a "second language" but most of the older ones do not - my in laws for example, I was married to a Swede who's parents could not speak one word of English. I think you're confused about his nationality and his age. I doubt very much because of his age he could have written a letter in English - I might also be wrong but I know two older Swiss guys in Phuket and there English consists of grunts and shouts of "beer" etc, they cannot string two words together. Other than your confusion over nationalities etc, what was your point?

As a Swedish national probably his second language would have been English, in the same way that most Europeans second language is English. Quite possible he may have communicated with his wife in English.

If he was not fluent in Thai writing then it would be logical to choose English rather than Swiss, as more chance of his wife and the authorities understanding it..

He was Swiss, not Swedish. He was an old Swiss person so his English would be not brilliant. As a Swiss national his first language would have been German or French and second language (if he had one, would have been German or French - depending which one was his first). Younger Scandis might have a "second language" but most of the older ones do not - my in laws for example, I was married to a Swede who's parents could not speak one word of English. I think you're confused about his nationality and his age. I doubt very much because of his age he could have written a letter in English - I might also be wrong but I know two older Swiss guys in Phuket and there English consists of grunts and shouts of "beer" etc, they cannot string two words together. Other than your confusion over nationalities etc, what was your point?

No confusion over his nationality or his age - simple mistake in writing Swedish instead of Swiss, mind on three things at the same time ;-)

As a 'Swiss' national, of course his first language may also have been Italian, or very remote chance that it was Romantsch!

So setting aside the premise that becuase the 4 older generation Scandinavians you happen to know do not speak English meaning that no other older Scandinavians have any English abilty, why would you question the note being in English? For all you know the guy might have been an English teacher.. Maybe he used Google translate? Similarly why would one question how it could happen with his wife present? The article does not even state that she was there at the time, and even if she was, if he had locked himself in the bathroom how could she have prevented it?

<edit> seems there is now further information suggesting this is exactly what happened!

Taking the facts that we do know i.e that he was a very sick and terminaly ill elderly gentleman, who discharged himself from hospital stating that he did not want to die there; then went home and was later found with his wrists cut, would not really indicate anything other than the gentleman taking his own life.

So to answer your question, my point is why question either?

I guess the answer is becuase there will always be those who find more excitement and intrigue in drumming up their conspiracy theories and making speculative suggestions of nefarious motives or actions - pretty well evidenced by the number of moderated posts on this thread already.

Edited by Shadychris

Oh boy stick around, you ain't seen nothing yet !!!!

Im a bit too new here to really associate names with viewpoints, but I rather suspect that it's the case that these 'armchair Inspector Clousseaus' are maybe the same ones I often see criticizing the RTP for ineptness yes?

RIP. Sorry to hear about this. As an aside, and I could be wrong, but I thought pulmonary edema and pneumonia are both treatable? No wisecrack attempts here. It's an honest question to medical experts in the forum.

I believe a pulmonary edema is in a very different bracket to pneumonia which can normally be easily treated.

• Like 1