Good Restaurants in Chiang Mai

stament

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, we like the food court in the Airport Plaza basement as well. The other food court we like is at the Big C Extra, old Carrefour. It's hard to find a place to sit at either of these places at lunchtime.

Grin

Yep, we like the food court in the Airport Plaza basement as well. The other food court we like is at the Big C Extra, old Carrefour. It's hard to find a place to sit at either of these places at lunchtime.

Grin

The only thing I don't like are those little stalls around the Kao Soi place.....have to sit sideways, so I wait until it's quiet. biggrin.png

What is your definition of a good restaurant?

Places with good tasting food?

Places with quality food?

Places for westerner food?

Places for Thai food?

Places with both?

Or the cheap Charlie places?

Also French, Italian, Indian and other nationalities?

For the cheap Charlie I like the Kao Soi place in the upstairs food court by the theaters at the Airport Mall.

There are more than a thousand rated restaurants on "Tripadvisor." Who needs this site! Except to gauge one McDs against another!

And how silly is that! I hazard to guess that what OP is talking about is probably imported cuisine. Well, he posted in the right place!

Now, let's hear it from the pizza crowd!

Nic's Playground and Restaurant - Hang Dong. Excellent for families with little ones. Very good western food.

Sorry! After my previous referral to "Tripadvisor!" I think Nic's is basically prosaic fodder but very slickly marketed --- sort of fancy MacDonald's, BUT, if I had wee tots in tow, I would go there often when the family is tired of Mama Noodles! When I have gone there (silently with no overt protest), I have seen many, many tots there having a wonderful time! That may give some people a clue as to the ambiance of the place !!!! biggrin.png

Grin

Airport Plaza basement Lanna Food Court is excellent but certainly you are joking about the Big C food court aren't you? Hard to find a place to sit? It's usually 1/3 full. Even my Thai friends and family don't want to eat there.

There are so many good restaurants in CM, fortunately for us who live here. I just came back from a very good meal at the newish site of Café Mini, near Meechoke Plaza. It really is excellent. However, almost all the good restaurants have already been discussed in previous threads in this forum and a new topic is likely to be just a rehash of information already available.

Come to think of it, what makes a "good restaurant?" Really a silly question, isn't it? Shall we discuss whether or not we like our steak rare or well-done?

This question must indeed be based on the assumption that, here on TV Chiang Mai, a "good" restaurant is one that caters to the English-speaking tastes of aliens (a "nasty" but accurate term for people who are not native to Thailand!).

If you don't like Thai food (and there is quite a scope to it) then push off to be happier back where you came from when you sit down at the table.

Edited by Mapguy

Places for Thai food?

Places with both?

For the cheap Charlie I like the Kao Soi place in the upstairs food court by the theaters at the Airport Mall.

I like most thai food and also like western food but only eat western food very occasionally. Not overkeen on French,Chinese or Arabic food but like Indian; American; English; Italian; Mexican. Also happy to go to cheap charlie place.

Places for Thai food?

Places with both?

I like most thai food and also like western food but only eat western food very occasionally. Not overkeen on French,Chinese or Arabic food but like Indian; American; English; Italian; Mexican. Also happy to go to cheap charlie place.

Sounds to me like you will find many places. I prefer western food but eat in for the most part. When I do go out I will go to the Dukes on the river. A little high on price but I know for a fact that he does not purchase the cheapest food he can for his meals and he is a stickler on cleanliness. The Sizzler has a real good salad bar not a big fan of the rest of their food. There is a Mexican restaurant on the moat Michelle's I believe it is named. As has all ready been mentioned food courts give you a wide choice of foods for cheap Charlie's and road side carts also have some very good food.

For western or Thai Gecko gardens is good also butter is better has good food. I am sure if you come here you will be able to find many more good restaurants that fall into your spectrum of taste. Maybe their will be some other recommendations.

Places for Thai food?

Places with both?

Sounds to me like you will find many places. I prefer western food but eat in for the most part. When I do go out I will go to the Dukes on the river. A little high on price but I know for a fact that he does not purchase the cheapest food he can for his meals and he is a stickler on cleanliness. The Sizzler has a real good salad bar not a big fan of the rest of their food. There is a Mexican restaurant on the moat Michelle's I believe it is named. As has all ready been mentioned food courts give you a wide choice of foods for cheap Charlie's and road side carts also have some very good food.

For western or Thai Gecko gardens is good also butter is better has good food. I am sure if you come here you will be able to find many more good restaurants that fall into your spectrum of taste. Maybe their will be some other recommendations.

I agree Dukes is good I like having a burger there from time to time.

Was in the Chiang rai forum and noticed a thread with this title.

Thought it would be useful to have a similar one for Chiang Mai..... ;-)

In many ways the Chiang Mai forum is more personal and useful than the Bangkok forum (where I now live), but when you look at a thread like this asking for 'good restaurants in Chiang Mai' and see a load of saddos suggesting food courts and McDonalds, you realise that the more functional style of the Bangkok forum has its pluses!

Chiang Mai has a fantastic range of restaurants. I'd suggest some myself, but until I come up at Christmas and sample them afresh, I don't like to review them. So how about a few of you 'foodies' telling the OP about the current situation at Chez Marco, Rioja 2, Le Terrasse, Billys', Pern's, O'Malley's, The Olive Tree (if thats what Jerusalem Falafel is now called, Le Lapin, or the excellent Thai places from different regions, or the Chinese /Japanese/Korean/Indian/.

Such a wealth of restaurants, such a paucity of bankrupt contributions.

This city is overrun with good eats, that may be why someone may say McDs just a sarcastic way of sayin; damn just follow your nose and go where the crowds are, good restos are usually not empty ..... only thing missing here is seafood but we are inland so .....

giggle.gif

The Thapae Gate McDonald's is better. tongue.png

why ?

Just joking. They all taste the same. I don't consider most fast food places to be "good" restaurants, but I can remember when - for Chiang Mai - they were about the best that you could do, for foreign food.

Even with the little ‘smiley’ attached to your ‘joke’ did you really believe that any ‘experienced’ CM TV poster would even start to think you could possibly be joking about any food theme.

Shame on you for leading Asiantravel and the rest of us on like this.

Will we ever trust your ‘food’ posts again. (Yes we will) giggle.gif

Edited by scottishjohn

Was in the Chiang rai forum and noticed a thread with this title.

Thought it would be useful to have a similar one for Chiang Mai..... ;-)

In many ways the Chiang Mai forum is more personal and useful than the Bangkok forum (where I now live), but when you look at a thread like this asking for 'good restaurants in Chiang Mai' and see a load of saddos suggesting food courts and McDonalds, you realise that the more functional style of the Bangkok forum has its pluses!

Chiang Mai has a fantastic range of restaurants. I'd suggest some myself, but until I come up at Christmas and sample them afresh, I don't like to review them. So how about a few of you 'foodies' telling the OP about the current situation at Chez Marco, Rioja 2, Le Terrasse, Billys', Pern's, O'Malley's, The Olive Tree (if thats what Jerusalem Falafel is now called, Le Lapin, or the excellent Thai places from different regions, or the Chinese /Japanese/Korean/Indian/.

Such a wealth of restaurants, such a paucity of bankrupt contributions.

Hate to disagree but CM does not have "a fantastic range of restaurants." Billy's? The Olive Tree? O'Malley's!? Please. You are much better off in Bangkok.

The so-called "saddos" suggesting food courts and McD's are just having a bit of fun.