Repair Windows!

Beachcomber

I have somehow managed to mess up some of my basic Windows settings, mainly the XP desktop colors and taskbar and title bar sizes.

It’s no big deal as everything else seems to be working OK but I would like to get back to the default XP settings.

I have tried the Desktop/Appearance etc. but can only get “Windows Classic Style” Windows XP seems to have disappeared.

I tried to “Repair Windows” by running the original installation disc, as I seem to recall an option of “Repair” instead of “Install” but I guess because I have SP2 and all the upgrade patches installed I get the message something like “The version you have installed is later than this version if you continue ALL your data will be lost” :o

The question is if I continue past this warning will I be able to Repair Windows without losing any of my data or will it just go on doing a complete reinstall before I have a chance to stop it?

Thanks

Beachcomber.

I assume you tried the restore function before trying anything else?

If not got to Control panel, select performance and maintainance. Click on System restore (in the left hand pane)....and follow the simple intructions from there.

Good luck

I assume you tried the restore function before trying anything else?

If not got to Control panel, select performance and maintainance. Click on System restore (in the left hand pane)....and follow the simple intructions from there.

Good luck

Yes tried System Restore but though it restored everything else to a previous date the Desktop remained in Clasic mode. :o

:D

Yes tried System Restore but though it restored everything else to a previous date the Desktop remained in Clasic mode. :o

Had a computer at the laboratory with nearly the same symptoms and it just happened yesterday morning, before that it was ok. Checked the system restore and saw two updates that came in on that morning, set the restore back to a date before those two and it fixed the problem. Might take a look at a date or two behind and see what was installed and go back before that.

Also, if it isn't running, and you can't get it to run, have a look in your event log to see if there are any errors. There may have been an accident with your UXTheme.dll, if so there are plenty of originals available for download from the web, you could also try to get it from your XP disk.

Also, if it isn't running, and you can't get it to run, have a look in your event log to see if there are any errors. There may have been an accident with your UXTheme.dll, if so there are plenty of originals available for download from the web, you could also try to get it from your XP disk.

Wouldn't the system restore have corrected this?

Beachcomber seems to be off line now....oh dear

I have somehow managed to mess up some of my basic Windows settings, mainly the XP desktop colors and taskbar and title bar sizes.

It’s no big deal as everything else seems to be working OK but I would like to get back to the default XP settings.

I have tried the Desktop/Appearance etc. but can only get “Windows Classic Style” Windows XP seems to have disappeared.

I tried to “Repair Windows” by running the original installation disc, as I seem to recall an option of “Repair” instead of “Install” but I guess because I have SP2 and all the upgrade patches installed I get the message something like “The version you have installed is later than this version if you continue ALL your data will be lost” :o

The question is if I continue past this warning will I be able to Repair Windows without losing any of my data or will it just go on doing a complete reinstall before I have a chance to stop it?

Thanks

Beachcomber.

These are per-user settings so if you were to create a new username in Windows and use that one, it should get the default settings. You should have no trouble copying your documents, desktop shortcuts etc. from one user to another if the new one (target) is an administrator account (or if you're not using NTFS).

However the fact that the "Windows Classic Style" has disappeared from the list suggests that there might be something else corrupted... in that case a "repair" installation could be the solution. You should better do it with an installation CD with SP2 already in (this is Thailand right? so getting a new CD isn't a big deal), you will save the SP2 reinstallation step and most likely avoid this warning. It's strange anyway. I've already done a "repair" install from a gold (SP0) CD to a computer with SP2 installed and never go such a message. Are you sure you're using the right CD (Pro. vs. Home)?

Greets,

--Lannig

Thanks for the all the suggestions.

TYWAIS - Had a computer at the laboratory with nearly the same symptoms and it just happened yesterday morning, before that it was ok. Checked the system restore and saw two updates that came in on that morning, set the restore back to a date before those two and it fixed the problem. Might take a look at a date or two behind and see what was installed and go back before that.

Its been a few days now since it happened and to be honest I can’t recall downloading anything unusual. Maybe just the updates for SpyBot – Ad-Aware and AVG (all the free versions) but never had any trouble with them. I looked back at Restore and only have “System Check Points” logged for the last few weeks except one entry “Software Distribution Service 2.0” No idea what that is!

SILVERO - Have you checked that the Windows service "Themes" is running? If it isn't then you can only get classic.

Is “Themes” is running? I assume it is as I can go to Desktop/Properties/Themes and change the “Theme” When I click on “Classic” or “Windows XP” the desktop picture changes to those themes but the color and size of the taskbar and title bar remain the same. “Classic”

What’s this accident I could have had with UXTheme.dll? Can I find it on the XP disk and drop it - Where?? - System32???

LANNIG – These are per-user settings so if you were to create a new username in Windows and use that one, it should get the default settings. You should have no trouble copying your documents, desktop shortcuts etc. from one user to another if the new one (target) is an administrator account (or if you're not using NTFS).

That seems to be a solution that I may try though I would like to get to the bottom of what caused the problem so as not to do it again. I am using the same original installation disk, XP Pro, but upgraded with the SP2 disk that those nice people from M$ send out for free so I am guessing when I insert the XP disk without the SP2 the computer thinks it is an earlier version.

The only thing that comes to mind is the problem happened after I had done one of my big computer clean ups. I have Windows Care and Reg Clean programs that I have run many times always in default mode, without this problem so why should it be different this time?

Beachcomber :o

Your symptoms sound like the Themes service may not be running, to check do the following:

- Right-click on 'My Computer' (either on the desktop or the start menu) and choose 'Manage'

- The management console will appear

- On the LHS of the console expand 'Services and Applications' and click on 'Services'

- In the RHS pane a list of services will appear. go down the list to 'Themes' and look under the 'Status' column

- If it is running it will say 'Started', the service is OK and you can close the console

- If it is not running then it will be blank under the 'Status' column and you will need to start it

- Double click the Themes service and a 'Themes Properties' box will appear

- Press the Start button and confirm that the service starts (theme should appear now)

- Check that the Startup Type is set to Automatic

- Press OK and close the console

The accident with UXTheme.dll is that this file is commonly patched to allow 'unauthorised' (non-M$) themes, sometimes resulting in a themes screw up and requiring a replacement UXTheme.dll download. If this occurs you will probably have an error in your event log when the themes service tries to run and can't.

BTW, when you get this sorted, there is a nice official XP theme worth having a look at, no patch required:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhan...for-WinXP.shtml

Edited by silvero

I looked back at Restore and only have “System Check Points” logged for the last few weeks except one entry “Software Distribution Service 2.0” No idea what that is!

That's the one. It came in through an auto-update. Restoring to a point just prior to that restore point and the problem went away.

Hi All!

SILVERO - Your symptoms sound like the Themes service may not be running, to check do the following: Cut………..

Checked that, it is running and set to automatic.

BTW, when you get this sorted, there is a nice official XP theme worth having a look at, no patch required:

Will do that - Thanks.

TYWAIS -

I looked back at Restore and only have “System Check Points” logged for the last few weeks except one entry “Software Distribution Service 2.0” No idea what that is!

That's the one. It came in through an auto-update. Restoring to a point just prior to that restore point and the problem went away.

Did that also - and it didn’t fix the problem. :o

:D:D

Quick Update:-

SILVERO -

That is one cool site. Have downloaded and installed the Royale Theme which is great.

This has not solved my problem but has given back the blue task bar and general colours and style of the original XP. This I can live with.

I would still be interested to find out what caused my problem so if any one has additional ideas I am still listening.

Thank y’all

Beachcomber.

:o:D

I'm not quite sure but it sounds like you are only half-way back to normal...if so one more place to check is the performance settings:

- right-click my computer, and select Properties

- Select the Advanced tab, and click on the Performance Settings button

- On the first tab, Visual Effects, look through the check-boxes, some of them pertain to how themes and effects are applied.

- Either check them all or pick 'Adjust for best appearance' and see if that makes any difference.

I'm not quite sure but it sounds like you are only half-way back to normal...if so one more place to check is the performance settings:

- right-click my computer, and select Properties

- Select the Advanced tab, and click on the Performance Settings button

- On the first tab, Visual Effects, look through the check-boxes, some of them pertain to how themes and effects are applied.

- Either check them all or pick 'Adjust for best appearance' and see if that makes any difference.

I think that may have been it. The Visual Effects was set to “Custom”. As far as I can remember it has always been on the “Let Windows Chose” setting.

Maybe one of the clean-up-optimize programs reset it. Shall watch that in future to see what program it was.

I can’t be 100% certain as I now have Royale installed as the XP theme but all the other themes work now as they should so can be almost certain that was the problem.

Thank Y’all

Beachcomber.

:o:D

I too find the that the fact Windows XP disc seems to become redundant after installing SP2 from another source extremely frustrating and typically "Windows".

I managed to get round this by doing a Google search on combining the two and it is pretty easy to find a site that will tell you how to make an "XP+SP2" CD. It must be easy 'cos I am not very computer literate.

When you have made this new disc you can the use it to reinstall and presumably repair no problem, as it will no longer be older than what is on your machine!

brings back the old XP disc from the dead :o

I managed to get round this by doing a Google search on combining the two and it is pretty easy to find a site that will tell you how to make an "XP+SP2" CD. It must be easy 'cos I am not very computer literate.

The term is slipstreaming and it is a nice way to have a complete up to date system CD. I built (slipstreamed) XP SP1 + SP2 + all the latest updates CD and it is very convenient. One tool that does it nicely is nLite: http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html