Royal Thai Police to get new facelift

Lite Beer

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A token 10 top-ranking cops have been arrested. Whoopee sh!t!

The only ones that get 'arrested' are the ones that forget how they got to such dizzy heights in the first place and forget to keep paying it forward to those even higher up AND BEYOND.

If the government army was so keen in nailing the second greatest enabler of graft and corruption in Thailand, they would be doing a whole lot more than these 10 unfortunates. But that would be cutting of one's nose to spite one's face.

Reach-around anyone?

BANGKOK: -- Royal Thai Police commissioner Pol Gen Somyot Phumpanmuang vowed to clean the Royal Thai Police of all corruption and make it a new government agency with morality and good governance where the people can rely on.

National police chief Somyot Pumpunmuang and his wife have assets totalling B246.4 million and B128.2 million respectively. Their net worth after debts of B18.8 million is B355.8 million.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/pm-prayuth-‘can-justify-personal-wealth’-49445.php

Samart Corporation and the national police chief have acquired more than half of handset distributor M-Link Asia Corporation after the stake was offered for sale by the Wongsawat family, which has links to the influential Shinawatra clan.

The 1.2-billion-baht acquisition of the 50%-plus holding in M-Link marks the gradual exit of both families from their vast business interests in the burgeoning telecommunications industry.

Samart, headed by founder and chief executive Watchai Vilailuck, together with the new police chief, Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang, will hold a combined 50%-plus stake in M-Link

http://www.bangkokbusinessbrief.com/2014/11/12/police-chief-in-big-shinawatra-deal/

..............................................................coffee1.gif

Combined assets not even totalling 1/2 of what the CIB chief had stashed "under the mattress".......

No wonder someones nose was put out of joint !

Just read that. Astounding.

I take my good work comment back. Clearly seats on the gravy train are being switched is all!

• Like 1

A good start may be to pay them a livable wage and make them sign a contract. If you accept this these are the rules, if you break the rules these will be the consequences. If you aid in reform you will get promoted and put up to the next pay level....

Give them no reason to do it, wave a big stick, followed by a carrot.

BANGKOK: -- Royal Thai Police commissioner Pol Gen Somyot Phumpanmuang vowed to clean the Royal Thai Police of all corruption and make it a new government agency with morality and good governance where the people can rely on.

National police chief Somyot Pumpunmuang and his wife have assets totalling B246.4 million and B128.2 million respectively. Their net worth after debts of B18.8 million is B355.8 million.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/pm-prayuth-‘can-justify-personal-wealth’-49445.php

..............................................................coffee1.gif

Combined assets not even totalling 1/2 of what the CIB chief had stashed "under the mattress".......

No wonder someones nose was put out of joint !

Just read that. Astounding.

I take my good work comment back. Clearly seats on the gravy train are being switched is all!

YUP !!

Afraid so, smoke, mirrors and rhetoric as usual.

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't (or are too afraid to) throw stones"

There is another reason this happened, someone didn't tow the line and got pulled back in, he has accepted his "wrong doing", has agreed to the chain of events which will be acted (performed for the masses) upon with the pre-agreed to end result.

Everything "Same Same but Different".

Imagine who this guy has "the dirt" on, and the possible consequences of this knowledge.....

Edited to add.

Edited by RigPig

...The first step in this reform would be to remove the word "Royal" from the organisations title...they simply do not deserve to use this word.

We would then be left with "TP"....okay......so let's just pop in "The Pretenders"

So then as these massive reforms go along day by day and are set in place and noticeable...we can (firstly) allow the use of the words "The Police"....and then when we have witnessed the (final step) in the reforms ......."The Police" would get the word "Royal" back

Would somebody please tell my 3 year old grandsons son when the reforms are completed...thank you 3 times

How about

We don't work hard Thai Police.

Or dishonest police.

Or incompetent Thai Police.

Or nincompoop Thai Police.

Anything but Royal, please.

You are to be commended Commissioner General Phumpanmuang for what will undoubtedly be a massive undertaking. I respectfully suggest you start right at the top and work your way down to the lowliest most isolated RTP station where corruption is endemic. I further suggest you make it mandatory that a RTP officer only spend a maximum of 2 years in any one location. Rest assured that the community will be watching closely to see just how effective your commitment is.

Before you think that this is off topic, just bear me out! Reminds me of a few years ago when my boss told me at my annual review when I complained that my 3% pay rise compared to his 5% was not fair - "Money's not everything you know!" He was on at least 3 times the salary that I was on, his wife was a lecturer at the local Art College, and they had no children. I on the other hand had a wife who had retired from teaching to look after our baby, and consequently we were struggling a bit financially. My reply was "Not when you have 2 good wages coming into the house!"

However, my point is this - it's all very well for Pol Gen Somyot vowing to " clean the Royal Thai Police of all corruption and make it a new government agency with morality and good governance where the people can rely on." but until the average policeman is on a decent wage, it's never going to happen! And does the above statement include getting rid of the requirement of police having to pay for their promotions?

• Like 2

The CIB guys got court.

How about those farces at the RTP at Lumpini and Thonglor or the chief of Bangsue Police?

Thonglor controls the money at Cowboy and Lumpini cops are often seen day time at Nana Plaza to collect the payments.

The CIB cleanup is not enough. Can the police chief promise that all gambling dens will be shut down by this month?

If the CIB can pocket so much money I know why the police chiefs from before didn't do a clean-up as they will most properly have their own side businesses.

Don't you mean "improperly" have their own side businesses"?

Look at this

PHUKET: An island-wide crime sweep during the Asian Beach Games resulted in more than 150 arrests and turned up scores of weapons, illegal drugs and counterfeit items, Phuket’s top cop revealed yesterday.

“We must maintain Phuket’s good image and uphold the policies of the Royal Thai Police. It is our job to keep everyone safe and to prevent crime,” Phuket Provincial Commander Patchara Boonyasit told a press conference yesterday.

“We must build up our prestige as a host of international events, such as the Asian Beach Games.”

— Kritsada Mueanhawong

- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Scores-arrested-Beach-Games-crime-crackdown/39576#ad-image-0

The government would have to truly be willing to commit $500 billion perhaps $1 trillion to bringing any meaningful reforms of the Thai Police Department. Extensive overseas training, extensive training with experts from all over the world, extensive forensic equipment, world class crime labs with world.class equipment, massive retraining of staff and most important of all substantial raises in the salaries, to the point where the average policeman can live comfortably, support his family and not have to bribe innocents, for a silly gesture in order for the policeman to survive. Anything less is pure jawboning.

A good positive assessment for once. What is wrong with others who type nothing but negative posts and are not prepared to wait and see if what is being introduced and acted upon either succeeds or fails. It is quite evident that corruption is ingrained but not all Police are tarred with the same brush and there is always light at the end of a tunnel. (And no, it is not a train coming toward me.)

As you state, pay all ranks a reasonable wage, engage recruits who are educated and then educate them in the art of policing. Also set up an Internal Affairs branch, with officers who have the courage to take on whoever, despite their rank.

Also set up an independent Police Integrity Commission with principal functions being to detect, investigate and prevent police misconduct, and as far as practicable, it should be required by law to turn its attention to serious police misconduct by Royal Thai Police Officers. Of course they would have to look at various overseas bodies and have input and training from them to succeed.

Other functions could also include the detection, investigation and prevention of misconduct by administrative officers of the RTP. I know, it's a wish list but its much better to be positive and not have to read so many negative items. Over time, with educated and functioning police, the amount of deadwood could be reduced and costs maintained at a reasonable level.

And yes, I know, there will always be corruption but if the RTP are being fair dinkum then they have to look elsewhere for help and not worry about losing face.
Edited by Si Thea01
  • Like 1

As long as it is LEGAL for the police to put up a large poster, which says:

Drunk Driving Fines:

Thai 5000 baht

Farang 20.000 baht

I won't believe in any cleanup.

PS. Of course I am against drunk driving, but the poster is real on the Dark Side in Pattaya-East.

Just wish I could get a photo of it and post here.

work in progress then is it??

Well this guy is talking a good story. Now let's see if any of this materializes in our lifetime. I certainly hope it will though I am not holding my breath.

Well they did quite a big clean up in Pattaya but perhaps they should look at some of the areas surrounding Pattaya. !00% you will find a lot of corruption there

Royal Thai Police to get new facelift

25-11-2557-12-49-05-wpcf_728x408.jpg

The press conference was held at 10.30 am to clarify the arrest of 10 police officers and civilians on various charges ranging from bribery to lese majeste. One of the officers is former Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) Pol Lt-Gen Gen Pongpat Chayaphan.

Besides, a Crime Suppression Division (CSD) officer Pol Lt-Col Akarawut Limrat who committed suicide after facing questioning on the same case was also clarified.

Pol Gen Somyot said all these officers were charged separately for the crimes they committed.

For the former CIB commissioner, he said he was found guilty in almost all areas of responsibilities he was in charge and that could raise money for him.

He said all these misdeeds have been known for quite sometime but nobody dare to act as well as the past bosses.

“Everybody in the past knows how powerful and influential the CIB commissioner was, but no national police chiefs in the past would take action,” he said.

But he said that as he is the new national police chief, these things would not be allowed to go free or happen again.

He said he would build a new police norm, new standard, new guidelines for the police and the organisation that will be clean, free of corruption, have good governance and morality that the people can rely on.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/royal-thai-police-get-new-facelift

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-11-25

And how much money do you have in your bank account chief? Before you start your position maybe declare all you funds.

Rotten to the core.

A good start may be to pay them a livable wage and make them sign a contract. If you accept this these are the rules, if you break the rules these will be the consequences. If you aid in reform you will get promoted and put up to the next pay level....

Give them no reason to do it, wave a big stick, followed by a carrot.

Police Chief Somyot seems to have a comfortable lifestyle, though for some reason you ignored that.........................................coffee1.gif