Ducati rider dies in Bangkok after speeding into disabled truck

webfact

^^

I'd say bangkok is one of the best places for motorbikes - they are allowed to go nearly anywhere, on the pavements etc and even flee fro the police(without chase). The helmet law is often forgotten. You are allowed to take your dog on the bike etc.

I think the responses are because it isn't really worthy of a news story just because he was riding an expensive bike.

Edited by Neeranam

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^

I'd say bangkok is one of the best places for motorbikes - they are allowed to go nearly anywhere, on the pavements etc and even flee fro the police(without chase). The helmet law is often forgotten. You are allowed to take your dog on the bike etc.

I think the responses are because it isn't really worthy of a news story just because he was riding an expensive bike.

Do you ride?
  • Like 1

^^

I see you defiantly don't ride a motorcycle in Bangkok or anywhere and I also suspect you hate motorcycles. You are NOT allowed to ride on the pavements, (but many do), freeways, tollways, bridges expressways, and you can take a dog on a bike all over Thailand. Trouble is I don't have a dog, but I do ride a bike in Bangkok often. The rider MUST wear a helmet or potentially be fined. YOU MUST RIDE A MOTORCYCLE in the Left lane or be Booked. Full stop. I was booked on Sukhumvit when I moved to the right to turn right. This was 150 meters before I wanted to turn right in heavy traffic. I showed the policeman my GPS that I was going to turn right. His answer, "You can't move to the right till 50 meters before the turn!" You can drive a car, truck taxi, on any road, in any lane, but NOT a motorcycle. What are you trying to say? Please be informed before you start writing!!

Why is this? , because Thais think motorcycle riders are second class citizens and they feel superior in their cars, and don't want motorcycles on their special roads!

Edited by aussiebrian

^^

You have no idea..... Sounds like you have rented a click while you were on holiday once.

Sent from my c64

A mate of mine was killed in Pattaya on his Hayabusa. Hammering down Sukhumvit a pick up pulled out on him and he died instantly.. I have no idea why otherwise sensible people drive like they are devoid of sense when they climb on these powerful bikes

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Ducatis are absolute power.

The truck driver had left the scene to buy credit for her phone to seek help with her engine trouble. She found Sakdipong’s body upon her return.

She will be charged with "operating a poorly maintained vehicle on a public road," police said.

So, the biker broke the law by being on a roadway prohibited to bikes, speeding, driving too fast for conditions, reckless driving …. but the poor hard-working woman heading home to feed the kids, who barely has money to keep time on her phone, and who's had a mechanical breakdown because she can't find a freakin' mechanic in Thailand with more than a screwdriver and a hammer, gets charged ….

Gotta get that tea money.

(But in all fairness, they probably checked the dead guy's pockets, too.)

• Like 2

^^

I think you need to state sarcasm in big red letters for those posters who have replied to you, some people just don't see it.

• Like 1

Defiantly don't ride? I don't ride any more but I'm not defiant. It's just that, after having been in two accidents, I understand only too well what the consequences of a moment of inattention or a slight misjudgement can be. Motorcycles are ubiquitous here in Bangkok but riding them is risky. For many, the convenience and pleasure of riding obscure the risk involved.

no need to mention Ducati. Do they want to say that big bikes drivers are fast and reckless?

even an old bike or a scooter would have the same fate if they aren't careful enough when driving.

im just driving along Sois of Bangkok and yet I'm always 'dressed for war' on the road of Bangkok.

RIP to that guy and my sympathy to his loved ones.

RIP to him? Why? He was a complete fool with no regard to the law and more importantly no regard for his 'loved ones'.

He deserved to get caught out by his own stupidity, inability to ride a 'big' bike and his self-centred attitude.

He RIP'd because many of us on the forum are not sociopaths....but 1/25 is. Lack of empathy is a trait...FYI.

Oh, RIP to the dead.

• Like 2

Sakdipong Wimolpan was speeding down an elevated section in the Bangkok Noi district forbidden to two-wheeled vehicles when police said he plowed into the back of a disabled pickup truck which was flashing its hazard lights, according to Bangkok Post.

Usually they put a tree branch behind the disabled vehicle to warn others.. Wondering if they remembered to do so this time, otherwise that's a criminal neglect :>

It's only 'criminal neglect' if the law states that a tree branch should be placed on the road to warn others of the breakdown ahead, and I doubt that would be the case.

In any event, if he didn't see the truck with flashing lights, it's more than unlikely that he would have seen a branch, presumably without flashing lights.

If itt was a section of road prohibited to motorcyclists, he's the one guilty of a crime, not the truck driver, but it seems to me it was only a matter of when he was going to kill himself whilst riding his bike, not if he would.

Still very sad. What a shame we can't legislate against stupidity.

The truck driver had left the scene to buy credit for her phone to seek help with her engine trouble. She found Sakdipong’s body upon her return. She will be charged with "operating a poorly maintained vehicle on a public road," police said.

Ahh. So it was her fault.

no credit on her phone?

this truck may have been a real wreck,

no inspections in Thailand?

Sakdipong Wimolpan was speeding down an elevated section in the Bangkok Noi district forbidden to two-wheeled vehicles when police said he plowed into the back of a disabled pickup truck which was flashing its hazard lights, according to Bangkok Post.

Usually they put a tree branch behind the disabled vehicle to warn others.. Wondering if they remembered to do so this time, otherwise that's a criminal neglect :>

On an elevated highway they are not too common!........

I am surprised the hazard lights were on and working.

You have to expect this, the motorcycle driving test may be fine for a small 110cc scooter, but not a powerful bike.

the absence of tire marks on Boromratchonnanee Road suggest Sakdipong was unaware of the vehicle and struck it at full speed

I don't understand this unless he was distracted by something (phone?) The article does not state the time of day so we can't say it was dark. No tire marks? Even at the last? I've seen several riders looking at phones. Suicidal.

"a criminal neglect" - U r joking aren't you? What a flashing hazard lights for, Christmas festivities?

My condolences to his family and friends.

I try to avoid riding at nightime in Thailand. Not worth the risk

Yes, but you fail to understand. Late at night is the best time to get onto the "no bikes" stretches of road to have an illegal bike race or just ride your powerful bike really really fast. Also, if you are driving any Toyota car or pickup with a TRD sticker or TRD racing stripes, you can safely pass on any dangerous corner & cut in on other traffic forcing other vehicles to brake suddenly and they will actually appreciate and admire you for it. It even works if you just dream about one day buying a TRD sticker to put on your old clapped out Mazda or Isuzu pickup. A huge percentage of the Thai population are emotionally too immature to drive anything, anywhere. Put them on a road anywhere and they become dangerous idiots. Number one Thai road rule: "Me First. Racing is what driving/riding is all about!!!"

^^

I see you defiantly don't ride a motorcycle in Bangkok or anywhere and I also suspect you hate motorcycles. You are NOT allowed to ride on the pavements, (but many do), freeways, tollways, bridges expressways, and you can take a dog on a bike all over Thailand. Trouble is I don't have a dog, but I do ride a bike in Bangkok often. The rider MUST wear a helmet or potentially be fined. YOU MUST RIDE A MOTORCYCLE in the Left lane or be Booked. Full stop. I was booked on Sukhumvit when I moved to the right to turn right. This was 150 meters before I wanted to turn right in heavy traffic. I showed the policeman my GPS that I was going to turn right. His answer, "You can't move to the right till 50 meters before the turn!" You can drive a car, truck taxi, on any road, in any lane, but NOT a motorcycle. What are you trying to say? Please be informed before you start writing!!

Why is this? , because Thais think motorcycle riders are second class citizens and they feel superior in their cars, and don't want motorcycles on their special roads!

I don't hate motorcycles, I have one which I seldom ride due to the wild dogs and drunks around my neigbourhood. I never rode one in the UK as there is no freedom.

I generally drove a car in Bangkok, where I lived for 10 years and you are wrong about what Thais think about motorcyclists - they have right of way, When I did use a bike it was much better than other countries. My son loved it beng able to hold on to the handlebars when standing on the front bit. This wasn't in central Bkk, of course.

always. Personally, I think riding motorcycles in Bangkok is only for those who can't afford a car or the BTS and farang with mid-life crises, so in a way you are correct re second class citizens but they do have right of way. Way too dangerous in central Bangkok.

^^

I don't hate motorcycles, I have one which I seldom ride due to the wild dogs and drunks around my neigbourhood. I never rode one in the UK as there is no freedom.

I generally drove a car in Bangkok, where I lived for 10 years and you are wrong about what Thais think about motorcyclists - they have right of way, When I did use a bike it was much better than other countries. My son loved it beng able to hold on to the handlebars when standing on the front bit. This wasn't in central Bkk, of course.

always. Personally, I think riding motorcycles in Bangkok is only for those who can't afford a car or the BTS and farang with mid-life crises, so in a way you are correct re second class citizens but they do have right of way. Way too dangerous in central Bangkok.

Ok, you don't ride a motorcycle often, due to fear and you no longer live in Bangkok. Ok, you don't hate them, but I thought your comment aimed at the footpath riding was heading that way. Sounds like you don't live in Bangkok now. Well believe me, if you ride, Bangkok is the worst city to ride bikes in. I ride a big bike and have done so every day of my life for 43 years. I must be having a very long mid life crisis, I know many very rich Thais of all ages that ride big bikes, so will have to widen your views on who rides motorcycles. Most Thais who ride scooters, ride them because they can't afford a car. If you are not experienced on motorcycles, then they are dangerous, and the restrictive laws make them much more dangerous, but if you are a competent rider then dogs, drunks and Bangkok traffic are just other hazards to deal with. Can I guess that you made those comments unaware of the restrictions that are placed on motorcycles in Bangkok and from as far away as 10kms from Cha-um (which I found out last week when riding from Phuket to Bangkok)

Thais do think that about motorcycles, but there are just a lot more polite and motorcycle aware than people in western countries.

I have a car also, but that is hardly used, just mainly for shopping.

Edited by aussiebrian
  • Like 1

After last similar incident (not accident any more than getting killed in Russian roulette is "accident") people asked how did rider get on prohibited highway anyway? They ever quiz people at toll booths, or this not have one?

the Boroom. Don't have the pay booth.

What a shame, such a beautiful bike.

Designed by computers, built by robots and driven by morons.

What do you want? Sympathy?

RIP!

Some compilation of nonsense, disrespectful and discriminating posts from haters. There are more but these are just examples. Possibly sitting on bar stools and no money to even come close to a ducati 899 or no competence to ride it. Maybe that is why you hate.

Hope one day same happens to one of your family members and then you learn how is it like to disrespect someone who id already dead.

Heartless poeple you are.

Hope he rests in peace.

Yes, he was not wearing proper gear and going maybe on a wrong road.

Still, this does not give you the right to disrespect someone from your bar stools who is already dead.

Moreover, this is bad karma and dont get surprised if you have an accident nowadays and kill yourself.

Anyway, as someone in motorcycle scene in Bangkok, i will let this thread reach the family members of the deceased and hope they can sue the disrespectful comments here.

Some poeple at TV is disgusting to be honest. That is why dont write here apart from bikes in thailand forum.

• Like 1