Childhood obesity costs Thai govt 5.5 billion baht a year

webfact

Childhood obesity costs Thai govt 5.5 billion baht a year

BANGKOK, 25 November 2014 (NNT)- The Ministry of Public Health has come up with plan to help overweight students lose weight as a way to reduce healthcare costs.

The Department of Health yesterday held a meeting over childhood obesity in Thailand, which, it said cost the government as much as 5.5 billion baht a year. Health officials are at present developing a program entitled ‘Smart Kids Coach’.

Childhood obesity rate has increased from 8.8% last year to 9.5% this year, with most overweight children found in urban areas. According to the Department, poor diet and lack of exercise lead to children developing obesity.

Under the program, teams of experts will be assembled. They would be sent to schools to help student maintain their healthy weight. The program is expected to achieve its target within 4-6 months.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-25 footer_n.gif

Here is one area where i think other nations might be jealous .

Thais are by world standards doing far better than other countries -

And though they might have some problems - compared to America - England - Australia - New Zealand and many other western Nations and Island Pacific countries -They are doing Great

Here is one area where i think other nations might be jealous .

Thais are by world standards doing far better than other countries -

And though they might have some problems - compared to America - England - Australia - New Zealand and many other western Nations and Island Pacific countries -They are doing Great

I disagree with you on this because the TREND in Thailand is that it is clearly HEADED towards the obesity levels of those other admittedly very high obesity rate nations. Thailand is NOT doing great. Thailand is failing miserably at this but the good news is that action taken NOW has hope of reversing the trend. This is about much more than personal choices, but an issue about the food culture, the food access environment, government regulation policies on food labeling, and of course education. Traditional Thai food culture was fine. But things have changed.

• Like 2

"The Ministry of Public Health has come up with plan to help overweight students lose weight as a way to reduce healthcare costs."

How do they change a mindset? As long as overweight children are considered a sign of prosperity, they won't begin to tackle the problem. I constantly see adults pinch the cheeks of morbidly obese children and tell them how cute they are. Every day I see more and more obese (and underage) children driving their own motor bikes while drinking a giant Slushy at the same time. Sugar is ladled on everything from noodles to soup. Diets high in sugar and simple carbohydrates, minimal exercise, positive reinforcement are all roads leading to Type 2 diabetes...And this is before they've discovered alcohol and tobacco.

It Don't Look Good Folks.

If the children are ALREADY obese, scientists already know that the vast majority are headed for a lifetime of obesity. So the emphasis bang for the baht MUST be on PREVENTION of children becoming obese in the first place. Obesity is a more serious level of overweight. I think mild overweight has more hope of reversal, but still a warning sign. Just overweight (not obese) is a vanity issue but in reality is not objectively all that unhealthy ... in fact in some ways mildly overweight people are actually healthier (specifically survival rates from heart attacks which yes thin people get too). Also of course the way overweight and obesity is measured usually by BMI is massively questionable. A better measure of health implications is waist size / body fat content.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I dare say it is costing the stupid parents at least 5.5 billion baht a year to get their kids into this state.

My first time in Bangkok I saw a well dressed Thai couple walking out of a MacDonalds, both slim people. Their young son and daughter walked (waddled) out behind them looking like a pair of hippos. ???????????

• Like 1

Its the same the world over , Bad education. Some Thais think Fat is good.

Sounds like you're talking about culture rather than education.

Anyway, I have read studies asserting that education programs alone are not enough and are only nominally effective.

For example, Australians mostly think fat is very ugly and they already know eating broccoli is a better choice than a cream filled donut, but the obesity rates are still high.

Not dissing education, of course its needed, but I am challenging the popular notion that this is all or mostly about education and that education is a panacea to combat this.

There really isn't evidence that is really true.

Edited by Jingthing

I dare say it is costing the stupid parents at least 5.5 billion baht a year to get their kids into this state.

My first time in Bangkok I saw a well dressed Thai couple walking out of a MacDonalds, both slim people. Their young son and daughter walked (waddled) out behind them looking like a pair of hippos. ???????????

Unfortunately many examples of just that...

Its the same the world over , Bad education. Some Thais think Fat is good.

Sounds like you're talking about culture rather than education.

Anyway, I have read studies asserting that education programs alone are not enough and are only nominally effective.

For example, Australians mostly think fat is very ugly and they already know eating broccoli is a better choice than a cream filled donut, but the obesity rates are still high.

Not dissing education, of course its needed, but I am challenging the popular notion that this is all or mostly about education and that education is a panacea to combat this.

There really isn't evidence that is really true.

And your suggestion is what? That the ever benevolent state apparatus should take over and make the choices for people 'for their own good'?

Neither you, nor me, nor the state know what is best for anyone else. We live our lives according to our own appraisal of the risk / benefit equation as we see it. It's nothing to do with anybody else what our personal assessment of that risk / benefit is, and for the state and it's 'Public Health' hangers-on (or anyone else, for that matter) to think that it is within their remit to decide (and coerce) what sort of lifestyle another person should adopt is arrogance in the extreme.

Anyone who has the temerity to tell me whether I can or cannot smoke, how much I should drink, and what I can and cannot eat gets short shrift from me, and deservedly so.

And given that, as with smoking and drinking, the figures quoted are generally the figment of some ideologue's agenda driven fantasy, everything you read about the latest 'epidemic' that's currently fashionable should be taken with a VERY large pinch of salt. I've uncovered so many blatant lies and exaggerations from the anti-tobacco and anti-alcohol zealots in 'Public Health' that I no longer believe a single word they utter.

http://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.gr/2014/11/the-cost-of-obesity-again-already.html

Edited by nisakiman

And your suggestion is what? That the ever benevolent state apparatus should take over and make the choices for people 'for their own good'?

What a loaded question.

I've discussed details on other threads, why rehash? Indeed there are MANY things societies can do, from the personal, the educational, to corporate policies, labeling policies, warning policies, and yes to government policies as well. One thing isn't enough.

But your suggestion of free choice DOES NOT apply to children and preventing obesity in children is the best hope for any country to reduce it in adulthood. So many children are becoming obese before they know what hit them ... it had nothing to do with their choices ... they are only children ... and once that happens it is a proven objective fact the vast majority are stuck being obese for the rest of their lives.

Thai government going after weight loss of kids is not a bad idea per se (but statistically the results won't be impressive, that's the nature of obesity, the vast majority of the weight losers will gain it back and more often quickly, that is known, grim but true) but it would be a better idea to go after PREVENTING it in the first place.

Edited by Jingthing

Does this guy Jingthing ever contribute a post?

Or is he just another Troll who swoops in like a nagging gnat?

I can't believe I doing this ... facepalm.gif

But, in JT's defence ... he started a topic on a closely related subject not that long ago.

Then, I disagreed with the premise of his OP ... but that's a mute point.

It's a bit disingenuous to say he hasn't been a leader in commentary on this subject.

Play the Ball ... not the Man.

The likes of all these American food chains springing up across the country isn't helping. This food is poison and should be banned or add huge taxes to cover the medical expenses. Why should those that don't eat American food have to pay the medical expenses of those who do. Taxes it like tobacco and alcohol.

• Like 1

It's not fair to blame it on western food only. Processed food in general, pumped with sugar, is often modern THAI food. Thais also are crazy about deep fried stuff as well. A model for what is happening in Thailand is Mexico ... increasing wealth, increasing urbanization, increasing processed foods ... voila, more and more obese kids ...

Being less active is also a factor, but the food intake is the more significant one.

Thailand is just at an earlier stage than Mexico. It's an opportunity they have now to not become Mexico.

I dont often agree with JT on these kind of topics but anyone living in Thailand with a bit of knowledge on food and health knows that the Thai sweets and fast foods are as bad as the Western ones.

I also dont like a government telling me what to do but children are a different story they have no free will they get what their parents give them and what they buy.

I know a few obese kids and it was not western fast food that caused it but sugar laden thai food and deep fried crap in old oil.

• Like 1

Visited a school for kids six and older in the provinces the other day. Kanom sellers were promoting their stuff at school grounds and the children were gobbling candy and sweet drinks. Before, during and after school. Needs to change, candy selling at school should be banned. Attitudes are not up to date.

• Like 2

Jingthing is no troll and his comments are far more interesting than your nasty quips.

I still smile when I think about the time he nearly lost his life on a baht bus at the hands of five drunken Iranians. A true survivor and master storyteller. biggrin.png

It's very easy to "blame the parents" - however Thailand's unregulated commercial sector has to bear a lot of the blame.

TV and the rest of the media can bombard children with adverts and imagery - even WITHIN the shows themselves - they are constantly pressured to buy/eat this and that - this is turn is turned into peer pressure and then pressure on the parents - Thailand is a country where people have experienced severe poverty eve famine in living history so denying your children/grandchildren anything they want is EXTREMELY hard to do.

if you just look at the contents of a 7/11 you'll see thew dangers - it would be hard to find one single item of "healthy" food in those stores.

Couple this with a nation that is largely in the dark concerning issues of health and diet and you have a recipe (no pun intended) for disaster.

• Like 1

It's very easy to "blame the parents" - however Thailand's unregulated commercial sector has to bear a lot of the blame.

TV and the rest of the media can bombard children with adverts and imagery - even WITHIN the shows themselves - they are constantly pressured to buy/eat this and that - this is turn is turned into peer pressure and then pressure on the parents - Thailand is a country where people have experienced severe poverty eve famine in living history so denying your children/grandchildren anything they want is EXTREMELY hard to do.

if you just look at the contents of a 7/11 you'll see thew dangers - it would be hard to find one single item of "healthy" food in those stores.

Couple this with a nation that is largely in the dark concerning issues of health and diet and you have a recipe (no pun intended) for disaster.

It's not fair to blame it on western food only. Processed food in general, pumped with sugar, is often modern THAI food. Thais also are crazy about deep fried stuff as well. A model for what is happening in Thailand is Mexico ... increasing wealth, increasing urbanization, increasing processed foods ... voila, more and more obese kids ...

Being less active is also a factor, but the food intake is the more significant one.

Thailand is just at an earlier stage than Mexico. It's an opportunity they have now to not become Mexico.

i tend to agree with Jingthing on this - some of the comments above just go to show why countries like UK, Oz and US have such dreadful obesity problems - ignorance and cultural problems are not just confined to Thailand.

thailand GOWS sugar and has done for centuries - they love fatty meats etc - but it is the CHANGE in eating habits and food production - not the traditional diet - that is important.

Talking about whether or not it is “western” or “Thai” diet is really a bit of a red hearing. It is what has changed people’s eating habits that needs to be examined and simply blaming a race or culture is ignoring the evidence.

If you have a balanced diet you should avoid obesity ad any other health problems incurred .

Obesity involves EATING MORE - especially of the kind of foods that make you put on weight - in the right amounts they are an essential part of any diet - western or Thai - but wen people get more money the first thing they spend it on is food and on the kind of foods that their bodies naturally crave. The craving is because these foods are traditionally the most difficult to get hold of - - meat is more expensive that vegetables etc. etc. ....sugar fats etc. are all items that are hard to get hold of in a very poor society and as economies develop the population can buy more and more of what they want.

Add to this the industrialisation of food production and the industrial processing of food - then you start to see a deadly combination in the change o=f a nations diet.

If you look at other countries around the world, obesity has always increased with the advent of westen food - but this is at least in part association rather than cause.....it is the introduction of industrial processing of foods that has to take the lions portion of the blame - pizza is a fine example - anyone who has had proper Italian pizza will know that it bears little or no resemblance to the pizzas on offer on high streets around the world; it is transformed into a industrial fast food.

If capitalism is left to its own devices it is primarily concerned with financial returns and dietary considerations are pushed to one side, so it then falls to governments to do something about it......the cost to the nation in medial bills is exorbitant and they are responsible for both health and finance - it Thailand however with no real stable government for decades this sort of legislation hardly ever sees the light of day.

There needs to be a dramatic change.

I can't believe I doing this ... facepalm.gif

But, in JT's defence ... he started a topic on a closely related subject not that long ago.

Then, I disagreed with the premise of his OP ... but that's a mute point.

It's a bit disingenuous to say he hasn't been a leader in commentary on this subject.

Play the Ball ... not the Man.

Nevertheless, still a MOOT point....