Immigration office Cm

BB1955

I have to do my extention next week can someone tell me how they are doing the number system now . Last time I was there I saw signs above the chair outside naming the different services . Have they changed . I plan on watching the sunrise from there next week.

Well, more constructively than above, look at the appropriate posts without just flinging a question like this into the air as a new thread! There is MUCH posted appropriately elsewhere on TV Chiangmai and VERY easy to find.

Actually people have been injured there as a result of this insane system. I know of three people who have died within days of attempting to obtain retirement or marriage visa extensions and the stress of the situation had caused them to have a heart attack, stroke or major bicycling accident. There are undoubtedly more people who have had their lives thrown out-of-whack because of the need to get out of bed at 4 am to secure a good place in line, then wonder if they're in the right line, only to be told at 8 am that they didn't bring the right documents and then have to go off to chase for the right documents knowing they have another day of getting up at 4 am to get in line again. And then, probably having whomever processes their visa not even ask to see the document they were told was vitally important to get.

OK, rant over. For the OP, I was there three weeks ago, doing the chair-sit thing for an elderly gentleman who probably wasn't up to the strain of it. Yes, the system is still in place. Plan to arrive at 5 am if you need a retirement extension and get in line #2. If you need a marriage extension you get in line #4 and you can come a little later.

• Like 2

NancyL, I find this post of yours uncharacteristic --- and much more than melodramatic. Your presumption, while sympathetic, that people have had heart attacks, strokes or major bicycling accidents because of immigration office attendence stress is perfectly absurd!

BUT I will agree that people who feel their lives might be "out-of-whack" for the reasons you have given do indicate that such people are addicted to smelling the roses of Chiang Mai as it is some sort of "promised land" for the soon-to-be and already retired.. Such innocents shouldn't be here. They need to stay or go back whence they came!

The real problem is not the problem of Chiang Mai Immigration (which has does indeed have its own logistical problems, primarily to deal with the innocents who read too many retirement haven and travel advertisements). The real problem is with Westerners (so many of whom happen to introduce themselves at the Chiang Mai Expat Club meetings) who in their increasing age (dotage?) find on the internet that Chiang Mai might be "a nice warm" possibly affordable place to live out their "golden years." Such people should stay where they are with what they are familiar with.

Well I have to agree with you that Nancy was a bit no a bunch over done. But people throwing their life out of whack getting up at 4:00 in the morning to be there at 5:00 is really ridicules.

It is only once a year not a monthly, weekly or daily affair.

If you find that as disrupting your life remember you have a year to plan for it also the chance to get an on line appointment bad odds on that happening but a chance or you can pay some one to do it for you or just pay some one to get there early enough to get you a number to give you an idea when to come in. If that disrupts your life well their are international flights leaving Chiang Mai every day.

By the way nice cheap shot at the Ex Pats. I guess it is open season on them again saw a shot taken at them on another thread. The big problem at Immigration is that Bangkok has allowed them funds to employ 15 more staff. But Bangkok is the one who will do the hiring. Also there is no room for them and once again Bangkok is the bottleneck. The staff at immigration are doing their best and even working over time. I have yet to have a hard time with the staff. All so people showing up with out the documents filled in properly. Last time I did a 90 day I watched one of the staff help some guy fill his in.

• Like 1

No Mapguy and Northernjohn -- you know that I help out elderly people who find themselves in hospital. I know of one man who suffered a stroke in the parking lot of Immgiration, another a heart attack and a third who had a bicycling accident when he was in search of a document he had been told to get by Immigration when he went for what he thought was going to be a routine visa extension appointment.

It is a very stressful situation for people, especially if they're in early stage dementia. That's when people can still function if they've set a routine for themselves -- do the same thing every day. But the need to do the once-a-year visa extension creates much stress and the situation at CM Immigration sure doesn't help.

• Like 1

NancyL, I find this post of yours uncharacteristic --- and much more than melodramatic. Your presumption, while sympathetic, that people have had heart attacks, strokes or major bicycling accidents because of immigration office attendence stress is perfectly absurd.[/i]

Connecting the dots in an uncharacteristic

manner is apparent in other recent posts. A new gift?

I know it can be quite difficult for some to get to immigration and at the latter stages of life need some assistance , im glad to see that someone provides that . As for excepting whats here , I see nothing wrong with trying to improve your existence here by looking outside the box . Its not a matter of dealing with inconviences its a matter of trying to improve your life style . We all come here most of us to enjoy a better life style ... I dont bitch about the minor inconviences but I do look for ways to improve them as in my question . If I inconvienced someone by asking for hel here sorry , but I thought thats what we do here try and help each other..

• Like 1

If you can't deal with such discontinuities as some bureaucratic inconveniences or difficulties at Chiang Mai immigration (brought on, actually, by the flood of expatriates looking for some sort of heaven on earth in Chiang Mai) then a person absolutely does not belong here.

No cheap shot at the Chiang Mai Expats club. Just to say that it is over-full of näive people who seem to favor creating some sort of comfortable existence separate from --- but geograpically in --- Thailand.

If you happen to be abroad and read this because you want to live here, then I suggest you take a much more serious look at what you are anticipating --- and your motives. if you want to bring what you are comfortable with at home (as is evidenced by what is posted all over this site: favorite restaurants and hamburgers, et al), perhaps you should reconsider moving here more an invasion of this place than a retirement retreat.

Claiming not to take a cheap shot and then immediately following that with a cheap shot is, at best, about as cheap a shot as one can take. Your comment was off topic and out of line.

Regardless, I do agree that Nancy's comments were over the top. If there really are people here who get that stressed out over the immigration system, those kindly folk need to be protected from themselves and ought to be living in some world without stress that probably exists nowhere. Yes, there are some older folk who get all bent out of shape about a lot of things.....even a broken toaster....but blaming the toaster or the Immigration Office for their heart attacks or bicycle accidents is just a wee bit goofy.

If you can't deal with such discontinuities as some bureaucratic inconveniences or difficulties at Chiang Mai immigration (brought on, actually, by the flood of expatriates looking for some sort of heaven on earth in Chiang Mai) then a person absolutely does not belong here.

No cheap shot at the Chiang Mai Expats club. Just to say that it is over-full of näive people who seem to favor creating some sort of comfortable existence separate from --- but geograpically in --- Thailand.

If you happen to be abroad and read this because you want to live here, then I suggest you take a much more serious look at what you are anticipating --- and your motives. if you want to bring what you are comfortable with at home (as is evidenced by what is posted all over this site: favorite restaurants and hamburgers, et al), perhaps you should reconsider moving here more an invasion of this place than a retirement retreat.

You defiantly need a holiday in another country, Have you considered the Sudan? How many thousands do you reckon are relocating to Chiang Mai because of the Ex Pat club.Your life is disrupted by one a year extension on your retirement. I notice you are suggesting people leave the country for still appreciating food from home or celebrating a holiday here such as Robert Burns day. You really seem to be getting bitter. Doesn't take much for you to tell people to go back to where they come from.

Could it be you are homesick and trying to put it on every one else?

No Mapguy and Northernjohn -- you know that I help out elderly people who find themselves in hospital. I know of one man who suffered a stroke in the parking lot of Immgiration, another a heart attack and a third who had a bicycling accident when he was in search of a document he had been told to get by Immigration when he went for what he thought was going to be a routine visa extension appointment.

It is a very stressful situation for people, especially if they're in early stage dementia. That's when people can still function if they've set a routine for themselves -- do the same thing every day. But the need to do the once-a-year visa extension creates much stress and the situation at CM Immigration sure doesn't help.

I have no doubt those things happened but to blame it all on a once a year event is stretching it. As you said they were not in that good of health any how.

Also as I have pointed out there is alternative ways to do it. You don't have to be there at 5:00 in the morning. One of them you don't even have to fill out papers it can be done for you. People with dementia should have there caregivers help them out.

• Like 1

You defiantly need a holiday in another country, Have you considered the Sudan? How many thousands do you reckon are relocating to Chiang Mai because of the Ex Pat club.Your life is disrupted by one a year extension on your retirement. I notice you are suggesting people leave the country for still appreciating food from home or celebrating a holiday here such as Robert Burns day. You really seem to be getting bitter. Doesn't take much for you to tell people to go back to where they come from.

India or Sudan on $10/day for a few months would undoubtedly do wonders, even on $25/day.

John, you need to look at the long term with Mapguy, he is transitioning. He used to be all about what was wrong and what should be done to correct the immigration department and numerous other government departments. That has now gone quiet and he is on to get out of town/go back where you came from/do not come here. Stay tuned for the next song he will start singing for us, and keep up the hope.

• Like 1

Some people have been here a very long time, this is their home, there is nowhere to go back to.

Cognitive decline and frailty often comes with old age and even you are not immune to it.

• Like 1

got to admit mapguy has a point the growth in farangs in chiang mai has been phenomenal and they all seem to be long term stayers??? who obviously need visas,i do think its got, or getting out of hand now,ten years ago chiang mai was not far off a ghost town,god noes what its going to be like in another ten years,any way rant over im off to imm to do my 90 days,look foreward to the buzz of immigration,55555.

I did a TV extension there last friday, walked in about 9am, went to the middle counter, got my docs checked, got given a number, waited about 30 minutes then number got called at counter on left by the door, waited another 25 minutes and got passport back

Times are guesstimates, time can fly when your chatting away to all the old farts in there

Tourist visa extensions are a walk in the park compared with retirement visa extensions. Marriage visas waits are shorter, but you have to bring more documents and then there's that "30 day under consideration" thing with marriage visas and the home visit for the first extensions.

No, Northern John, not bitter at all, but concerned about, as NancyL writes, people who really seem to have a problem dealing with ambiguity or bureaucracy in a new or different culture especially when they are older and, perhaps, increasingly frail in mind and body. People should be much more cautious about packing everything up and moving here. NancyL is right to be concerned about people like that.

And, no, Northern John, no cheap shot at the Expat Club. It fills its purpose, but my point is that it is a club for expats. It really isn't about integrating into Thai society. It seems much more a grouping of "people like themselves" or "people like back home" enjoying familiar passtimes. It is here geographically but culturally apart. The Expats club, of course, tends to attract English-speaking foreigners. Japanese and Korean expatriates are also clanish in this way, perhaps more so.

There is nothing at all wrong with celebrating former home country traditions or enjoying oatmeal instead of noodles for breakfast, and so on. But maybe the urge to replicate "home" here can overwhelm integrating into the culture and developing a better sense of place. This expatriate syndrome is not unique to Thailand. I really don't know what it is like in Khartoum, Northern John, biggrin.png but such communities are widely distributed around the world where the sun shines!

Uptheos points out a serious problem when he writes of "old-timers" who have broken connections with family or with home country. NancyL works hard to help such people. As he says, all of us need to find a way to deal with getting older.

Older folks who are still in familiar climes but anticipating moving here should be cautious about folding their tents.

• Like 2

I really don't know what it is like in Khartoum, Northern John, biggrin.png but such communities are widely distributed around the world where the sun shines!

http://www.expat-blog.com/en/destination/africa/sudan/

im getting on but some of the elderally people in immigration today beggered belief,but i suppose you got to admire people making the most of there old age.and there pension income.just hope the cost of living remains pretty much the same for a good few more years,and it doesnt catch up with the main tourist places in los.

im getting on but some of the elderally people in immigration today beggered belief,but i suppose you got to admire people making the most of there old age.and there pension income.just hope the cost of living remains pretty much the same for a good few more years,and it doesnt catch up with the main tourist places in los.

I'm not sure why it beggars belief.

If someone has lived here a very long time they are certain to get old, unless they die.

Why is it assumed that very old people are just surviving on their pension?

Immigration makes no concessions for 90 year old's as far as I know. biggrin.png

If someone has lived here a very long time they are certain to get old, unless they die.

Immigration makes no concessions for 90 year old's as far as I know. biggrin.png

your having a good couple of weeks son, having a go at all and sundry,but its all good fun,after all it is tv.

your having a good couple of weeks son, having a go at all and sundry,but its all good fun,after all it is tv.

I wouldn't have a go at you blue, we've been bantering far too long and I'm sure we're past that stage. wink.png

Well I have to agree with uptheos there is defiantly an aging population here. Me included. I have no problem with the immigration except for the time it takes to extend if you don't have an appointment. Mine is due next October and I will consider an agent or maybe get lucky with an on line appointment. Or as has been suggested hire some one to sit there in the morning to get me a number. My wife all ready knows the paper work involved.

What I am trying to say if it is causing these people problems they have been here long enough to know what is expected of them and should be prepaired for it.

As for the pensions. I agree that could be a problem on a marriage retirement but for a single retiree 65,000 baht a month is more than enough. If people are new here and it is so problematical for them perhaps they should not have come. For those of us who are aging here we know what is ahead and should not have the problem.