Renewing expired DL

Millenial

Just realised my DL (Thai) variation expired back in August - oops ! good job the wife drove when we arrived back in Los :P

Anyway, rather than doing the test again (its boring... and takes an entire day which is not something i can so freely share).

Do they allow renewals on recently expired DL's, payment wise is no issue if they fine for it, specifically Phuket one,

Thanks

Renewing your licence isn't what it used to be. Need to take skills tests, medical certificate required, sit in a room and watch a movie on the do's and don't of driving in Thailand, so be prepared to waste at least half a day. It has got stricter.

Renewing your licence isn't what it used to be. Need to take skills tests, medical certificate required, sit in a room and watch a movie on the do's and don't of driving in Thailand, so be prepared to waste at least half a day. It has got stricter.

Just to confirm, the video (computer test), watch the boring movie, do the traffic light simulator, medi certificate etc

- this being it? not the driving test (the other half of the day).

Q: do they still accept tea money to get around this? - just to jump to the printing and leaving...

Q: best time to arrive? for this?

Just to confirm, the video (computer test), watch the boring movie, do the traffic light simulator, medi certificate etc

Q: do they still accept tea money to get around this? - just to jump to the printing and leaving...

Here in Pattaya, bribes disappeared many years ago. Don't know about Phuket, but considering what's going on right now, I wouldn't recommend even mentioning it.

The tests are easy. I'd arrive early. Here in Pattaya, there's a long line 20-30 minutes before the doors open.

Here in Pattaya, bribes disappeared many years ago. Don't know about Phuket, but considering what's going on right now, I wouldn't recommend even mentioning it.

The tests are easy. I'd arrive early. Here in Pattaya, there's a long line 20-30 minutes before the doors open.

I have never heard of any bribes at Phuket DLT.

Just an update....

Well turned up at immigration having completed all the paperwork for myself for the residency cert to be told, oh no you can not do this here you have to do this in the south (where there is no immigration), however as i like to help people, ill put you under my address (to which i told him why not use one of my properties in Phuket - not home but ones we rent out), oh no not good, but you can use mine, anyway needed it so went with his address as a residency.

500 baht but also i help you so if you want to pay more this is good. (ok sure i read this was free??!) si anyway paid the grease monkey 800 baht, (weired considering all his buddies up the chain are getting arrested left right and centre you would imagine that the last thing he wanted was more black money in his coffers,,, )

Anyway resolved went to do the test thing today, video, lights, and paperwork, - why do i not get a 5 yr dl i ask at the end ?

Ah sir you have tourist visa, yes but if you look here i also have non im b with wp!! (guy at swampy avoided my visa that was due to expire next week and gave me a 30 day one - something that i did not care about at the time as i fly to HK shortly, but am now regretting, as it means next year it all starts over again!!

Card and photo = 100 baht

They charge 110 baht = where does that go? as the receipt is for only 100baht

Card and photo = 100 baht

They charge 110 baht = where does that go? as the receipt is for only 100baht

So you paid a 10 Baht bribe?

Price for 5 year bike is 255 Baht, car 505 Baht. I'm not 100% sure if photo is included in that though, so one may have to pay 10 baht extra for that. I think they also charge 10 Baht for any additional photocopies if required.

Edited by stevenl

So you paid a 10 Baht bribe?

the receipt is for only 100baht

Price for 5 year bike is 255 Baht, car 505 Baht. I'm not 100% sure if photo is included in that though, so one may have to pay 10 baht extra for that. I think they also charge 10 Baht for any additional photocopies if required.

First payment 1.49 baht second 110 baht

as to where the fund goes, i am unsure, (10 bahts add up).

as in 5yr please see above.

Just noticed your earlier post.

Yes, correct, on visa exempt entry (which you are on) or tourist visa the rule is a 1-year license, for 5 years non-immigrant visa is required. Also prices I mentioned earlier are for 5 years.

Just noticed your earlier post.

Yes, correct, on visa exempt entry (which you are on) or tourist visa the rule is a 1-year license, for 5 years non-immigrant visa is required. Also prices I mentioned earlier are for 5 years.

Yet i still have a valid Non im B with WP visa still active, not cancelled, they should have used this in reality.

"Anyway resolved went to do the test thing today, video, lights, and paperwork, - why do i not get a 5 yr dl i ask at the end ?

Ah sir you have tourist visa, yes but if you look here i also have non im b with wp!! (guy at swampy avoided my visa that was due to expire next week and gave me a 30 day one - something that i did not care about at the time as i fly to HK shortly, but am now regretting, as it means next year it all starts over again!!"

Technically i had two visas active, they could have chosen the NOn Im B as it is obvious i will reknew either in BKK or in HK otherwise my WP would fail....

Millenial- Didn't you say that he voided your old visa? Can you have 2 active visas legally? I'm not suggesting that you are breaking the law, but rather that the legal systems make it impossible to have 2 at the same time. I don't know. Anyway thanks for the reminder- mine runs out at the end of the month. I saw your post and checked. I hope I'm not going to have to sit through that video again.

"Anyway resolved went to do the test thing today, video, lights, and paperwork, - why do i not get a 5 yr dl i ask at the end ?

Ah sir you have tourist visa, yes but if you look here i also have non im b with wp!! (guy at swampy avoided my visa that was due to expire next week and gave me a 30 day one - something that i did not care about at the time as i fly to HK shortly, but am now regretting, as it means next year it all starts over again!!"

Technically i had two visas active, they could have chosen the NOn Im B as it is obvious i will reknew either in BKK or in HK otherwise my WP would fail....

It doesn't matter that you have two valid visas (actually you only have one as a visa exempt entry is not a visa), what matters is what your current permission to stay is based on. As you are here on a visa exempt entry they can only give you a one year DL, that you also have a Non Immigrant B visa is irrelevant as you didn't use that to enter.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

Millenial- Didn't you say that he voided your old visa? Can you have 2 active visas legally? I'm not suggesting that you are breaking the law, but rather that the legal systems make it impossible to have 2 at the same time. I don't know. Anyway thanks for the reminder- mine runs out at the end of the month. I saw your post and checked. I hope I'm not going to have to sit through that video again.

Hi,

I believe it was a case of being on auto pilot, at the time i had just completed a 10 hour trip from the maldives via mumbai so had not even bothered to look.

So yes i believe the system failed, ultimately its <deleted> me more than 1 way.

Ah yes, all sit through the video....