Electric shock

JohnnyJazz

Bignose does have valid points and I'm sure that most of us would happily pay a pro. to do the job.

Problem is finding a pro. who really is professional, licensed, here? Which is of course why our OP posted here.

Plenty of other sites offering electrical help, many based in the US, perhaps he should go there and tell them their expert advice is not wanted.

I see the problem a bit differently. Ignorance and stupidity are not excuses here as they may be in the west. There are a lot of good professionals in Thailand but for many reasons they will do what you ask them to do even if it's stupid. Thailand is not a culture that promotes confrontation, you're the one who pays, you're the boss.

So my goal when posting here is not to become a professional electrician but to know enough to be able to have an "intelligent" conversation with my contractor. Basic stuff that is reasonable that I ask him to do and ways to check that what he's doing is what I want/need.

Back to the OP. I realized that I've a grounding problem in the house and maybe other problems that I haven't found, it's a 20 years old house. Renovation is soon due. What would be the major points that you, professionnal or expert amateurs, will ask the contractor to do/check based on your knowledge of the common problems found in Thailand. FYI I'm talking of a townhouse in Bangkok.

Thanks in advance.

JJ

Edited by JohnnyJazz

This has to be the last time I shall post on this subject (not that anyone will give a sh1t:)) as it is now beyond explanation why this still happens and it will always be this way...

I appreciate we are in a third world country when it comes to electrical installations, but why oh why do certain people on TV persist on giving advice to uneducated amateurs?

When back in your "Mother Country" where ever that is, I am sure it is a regulated requirement that a licensed person carry out this work, you know and understand why this is the case so why do you persist in disseminating this information when you know the risks involved?

I have read the replies several times..."It's quite expensive to get someone and it's really quite easy" or "There's just no one available where I live who can do it" or my personal favorite "I've done a lot of research with the drawings posted really quite good"

The bottom line is get your wallets out of your back pocket and pay someone to do it properly, you'll quite happily spend money on grog, your favorite cheese, another movie channel for the television, maybe even a massage from a nubile local, but you don't want to spend it on something you can do your self (or so you think) Get with it and spend the money on something worth paying for...

With every person who carries out his own installation work, we are one more day closer to someone being killed! While I don't like the idea of anyone losing their life I genuinely hope it is the cowboy electrician and not his partner or child...

No matter who it is will you sleep comfy knowing that you helped him along with your expert advice???

Rather you than me Gents, rather you than me...

If you had taken the time to read the OP you would have realized that I'm looking for information to understand what the professional I've hired is doing and to ask him the right question when discussing the house renovation.

So be a man of your word and never post on the subject again.

And on your way out please take this idiot "asdecas" with you.

Thanks

[/

WOW, that's a bit harsh. I feel that anyone offering sensible & logical safety advice should be, at least, respected for their motives.

I'm an offender of the DIY brigade. Been in the electrical trade for some years, but not qualified or licensed. Main reason, excuse, for DIY, is I consider my work safer & a better standard than all the local sparkies.

Oh, & why is "asdecas" an idiot ? Maybe a bit aggressive in his approach, but sound advice none the less.

Just my opinion....... Cheers..... Mal.

WOW, that's a bit harsh. I feel that anyone offering sensible & logical safety advice should be, at least, respected for their motives.

I'm an offender of the DIY brigade. Been in the electrical trade for some years, but not qualified or licensed. Main reason, excuse, for DIY, is I consider my work safer & a better standard than all the local sparkies.

Oh, & why is "asdecas" an idiot ? Maybe a bit aggressive in his approach, but sound advice none the less.

Just my opinion....... Cheers..... Mal.

I came here because I really need advises. When someone replies "don't answer this uneducated amateur " that pisses me off a bit . I overreacted, sorry about it.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Given that its a townhouse, and depending on your budget, you may want to bring in a lighting consultant. Electricians in general (anywhere) are not especially creative when it comes to lighting so I wouldn't leave that to him if you are looking for something different. And, consider adding ceiling fans if not there already.

If your house is not at ground level there could be issues establishing ground. Check other threads for ideas on that.

Otherwise, I think the safety issues have been covered.

Given that its a townhouse, and depending on your budget, you may want to bring in a lighting consultant. Electricians in general (anywhere) are not especially creative when it comes to lighting so I wouldn't leave that to him if you are looking for something different. And, consider adding ceiling fans if not there already.

You're right, that's a problem. Everybody is like "what you want us to do ?" We have the chance that the landlord is quite supportive as long as what we want make sense. Her designer offered some suggestion regarding the lighting, I'll need to have a look at it as, as you said, that's something the electrician asks me to confirm too. Never thought that a house renovation would be so complicated sad.png

When we renovated our house and they took down the ceilings, it revealed a total spider web of electric wires. A total mess; and they were not installed in plastic tubes. And this is a Land & House project. We got some "real" electricians to do it correctly, but still had to inspect, what they were doing, because they also tried to do some "shortcuts".

PS!. The most important thing, to install in a house, is a Circuit Breaker.