Seeking advice for small business start-up in Pattaya

I would like to start-up a small business in Pattaya early next year. I'll be importing lightly used, 1 -2 year old jet skis from America and offer them for sale, lease and rental in Pattaya. I'm thinking a rental showroom around Beach Road and then a full service centre and showroom elsewhere in town. I figure daily rentals for 5000 baht/day on a capital investment of 200,000 baht is far better return than most other rentals.

I don't need to go into all the details but what I'm looking for is feedback from ThaiVisa members who have tried opening a small business in the past around Pattaya.

What would you have done differently next time?

What was your biggest challenges in starting up and then operating?

If successful, what were the main reasons why?

If unsuccessful, what were the causes?

What sort of things did you not anticipate?

Thanks for all your input. I am experienced in business outside of Thailand but it would be nice to have a heads up about things that could cause unexpected challenges in Pattaya.

Thanks....

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think if this is not a troll it is a definite person with a death wish that does not read this site.

There is no way the mafia is going to let you open a legit business that will hurt them.

Be careful and hire a police force to protect you and your merchandise.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. You guys are a wealth of experience and thanks for sharing.

Import duties on jetskis: 0%

VAT: 7% but can be reclaimed from input tax credits.

So the mafia controls the Seadoo & Yamaha dealerships? I think you misunderstand my intentions. I'm not going into the hourly rental side with worn out Waverunners. I'm offering higher priced, performance models that are rented by the day, or longer term.

I am not competing against the Beach Road garbage in terms of quality, service, or value. Its like comparing a short time hotel to the Hilton. Different client base, different expectations.

Imports-Exports is a very good business in Thailand and around the world. The only problem now is that Chinese companies are a big competition. and will be dificult to find a product that China do not produce for a lot less than any other country....even luxury itens and high end products that most times are not advertised. What you can buy with labels or brands indicating made in the US or Europe, may be made in China or other low labor cost countries, even in Thailand, like Levis and Lee jeans. I cannot name a product now from the US or Europe that can sells in other countries without big competition.

Just and example: Some people buy brand new Ford and Chevrolet in Thailand just for image, because do not make any sense. Thai made Japanese brands cars are a lot better and cheaper. Living in Asia, best business will be exports, not imports. My opinion.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. You guys are a wealth of experience and thanks for sharing.

Import duties on jetskis: 0%

VAT: 7% but can be reclaimed from input tax credits.

So the mafia controls the Seadoo & Yamaha dealerships? I think you misunderstand my intentions. I'm not going into the hourly rental side with worn out Waverunners. I'm offering higher priced, performance models that are rented by the day, or longer term.

I am not competing against the Beach Road garbage in terms of quality, service, or value. Its like comparing a short time hotel to the Hilton. Different client base, different expectations.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif The best post EVER

OP......you kinda missed Guy Fawkes night this year, but what the hell, just light a bonfire and burn the money anyway - that will be far less painful than losing your money and your shirt to the Thai mafia and their minders, the BIB.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

So let me make sure I understand this. Should I open a business in Pattaya that in any way competes against a Thai owned company and they lose market share to me; they will try to hurt me / kill me / or otherwise try to harm me? And this is all based on direct experience of the Thai Visa members when they went into business but then quit after receiving death threats or were beat up?

If that is the case, why aren't all the successful foreigner bar owners killed off when they buy a bar and start to gain market share at the expense of Thai owned bars? Are they not all "mafia" owned as well? Or owned by the police?

I'm not trying to argue....I just want to fully understand whether these replies are based on actual experience or just rumours.

Zero percent on jet skis your having a laugh !:)

This year I brought into thailand a small inflatable quicksilver , and a 5 hp mercury outboard cost me on uk ebay

about 20.000 baht and customs wanted 22,000 after a few phone calls got it down to 15.000 sti crazy price for5 year old boat and 15 year old engine but I was kinda expecting that

how the so called customs can drop the import duty price in a phone call !!!!!

You have to remember your not in the us or uk dealing with normal customs

Here they do what they want I suspect my boat never had any customs paper work

corruption

my advise dont import anything !!!!!

Zero percent on jet skis your having a laugh !smile.png

This year I brought into thailand a small inflatable quicksilver , and a 5 hp mercury outboard cost me on uk ebay

about 20.000 baht and customs wanted 22,000 after a few phone calls got it down to 15.000 sti crazy price for5 year old boat and 15 year old engine but I was kinda expecting that

how the so called customs can drop the import duty price in a phone call !!!!!

You have to remember your not in the us or uk dealing with normal customs

Here they do what they want I suspect my boat never had any customs paper work

corruption

my advise dont import anything !!!!!

You should try changing Customs brokers if that's the case. My broker imports 12 boats a month for his personal business and pays 7% VAT and that's it. My last import was an aircraft which he negotiated the VAT down to 4%, rather than the usual 7%. I have 2 used jet skis arriving next month....he figured 7% on a declared value of 50% of actual cost.

I was looking for actual, real life feedback from business owners. I'm not sure the background of you guys but you don't come across as particularly successful. Let me guess....old, fat, bald, met your wife on a barfine, living here on a pension?

Hmm. Lets try this one instead.

I think its a good idea to open what you wrote. Get your importlicense and look for a good place to open. Location is everything. Dont forget to advertise and go down to the beach and tell the renters about your business because after all i think its them whos going to be your biggest buyers. I wish you the best with your business.

I was looking for actual, real life feedback from business owners. I'm not sure the background of you guys but you don't come across as particularly successful. Let me guess....old, fat, bald, met your wife on a barfine, living here on a pension?

Like that, is it?

Okay, go ahead and open your jet ski business. In fact, have a grand opening on Beach Road. You'll never make it to an old, fat, bald man as you'll be bumped off sooner or later.