webfact

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She "rolled into the wheels"?

Trying to figure the translation issues with this.

RIP and condolences to the family.

Edit.

Just read the update and am more confused than before. Jumping off, with your momentum taking you away from the train and reversing course to get caught in the wheels?

Its true I guess the laws of physics do not apply in Thailand.

Quite possible she jumped, slipped and fell backwards. If your feet land first and slip forward then your body would fall backwards. This is how people usually fall when the slip.

Very sad indeed. It must be awful to see a family member killed like this.

Edit.

Just read the update and am more confused than before. Jumping off, with your momentum taking you away from the train and reversing course to get caught in the wheels?

Quite possible she jumped, slipped and fell backwards. If your feet land first and slip forward then your body would fall backwards. This is how people usually fall when the slip.

Very sad indeed. It must be awful to see a family member killed like this.

Well, most likely this was a freak accident, and what is being reported is nothing like what really happened. A truly sad situation being made worse for her family by poor reporting and or police investigation reports.

Pretty stupid action of a diplomat.

Yes, we know, you're so much better, and not a diplomat! That really sets you apart.

Most diplomats I know, Dutch, are pretty stupid. Not sure if they have IQ or just refuse to use the contains. But diplomats from Costas country; they have to be clever. Getting EU money for free.

"is the jumping off point for a national park famed for its picturesque waterfalls." It is a jumping off point, not a jumping ON point. Death railway indeed.

This tourist train runs over an old wooden bridge which suffers a lack of maintenance. If they do not take action, the whole train will drop down one day.

My wife was watching Thai news program said her handbag caught on railing causing her to fall under the wheels.

I saw a report that said the strap caught on the door handle and pulled her over into the train.

Poor woman, and her husband must be feeling awful as well.

Condolences for such a tragic loss.

• Like 1

I used to work in engineering at DiseyWorld, Florida. The parking lot trams took more lives than any other accident. The people had been driving at 100+ KPH for hours on I-95. So they got out of the car and on a tram at 10 KPH to get first inline for tickets. Appeared to be going really slow. They would roll right into the parking lot posts and die right there in front of audience. Disney term was " Bad Show". Many things you could do in your youth you cannot do now. Images of the old European films with people running to catch a train come to mind. Humphrey Bogart leaving Paris in Casablanca. "Here's lookin' at you kid".

Edited by Timebandit

In Thairath they reported that the strap of her bag caught on the metal steps in front of the train door as she was getting off. Accompanying the story was a photo of the steps which had sharp corners and looked like they could easily hook onto something.

Her family had got off before her and the train had begun to move off as she was disembarking. The fact the train was moving, along with her bag catching on the steps was unfortunately enough to make her lose balance and fall over and under the train.

Edited by katana

Edit.

Read the Bangkok Post report of the accident to restore your faith in physics in Thailand.

Pretty stupid action of a diplomat.

Yes, we know, you're so much better, and not a diplomat! That really sets you apart.

Hes not a diplomat, but whos the smartest a dead diplomat or a live poster with common sense. And since when does a persons status have anything to do with intelligence. A lot of people get top jobs because of the old boy network and cronyism. I would rather be a live road sweeper, cleaner or other type of job you would properly look down on than a dead diplomat or a dead billionaire.

"...whos the smartest a dead diplomat or a live poster with common sense."

Without a shadow of a doubt the former if you're referring to Frits.

as a kid growing up in the USA, there was one weekend when me and some of the neighborhood kids did go down and hop the train. It was a slow moving freight train shuttling between the factory loading docks. It was easy to jump on the rear corner of the cars where there was a ladder. But once I was running along and jumped in to the open side of the box car. Between the slope of the hill, and my short size I barely made it into the car and I remember my legs dangling and my friends luckily that were already in the car were able to grab me and pull me in. If they had not, I would have been run over. Dumb dumb and dumber but we did it.

• Like 1

When the train starts to move don't the doors automatically lock and also conceal any step. This is a safety device that has been around for decades.

Safety device "Doors automatically lock"......what doors?

Bangkok to Nam Tok route has been using 3rd Class train service for decades.

post-62796-0-32061200-1417034911_thumb.j

This is the norm, even when the train is traveling at slow speeds.

• Like 2

The guard is supposed to watch the train carriages until the train has passed the platform. The guard is supposed to hold a green flag/light for the loco crew to know it is safe to proceed and a red flag/light to remain stationary or stop. The loco crew must not move the train if they cannot see the guard when the train is stationary at the platform The loco crew must watch the train carriages and the guard until the train has passed the platform. The guard should have red flagged/lighted the loco crew if someone is trying to demount a carriage.

So, what went wrong?

as a kid growing up in the USA, there was one weekend when me and some of the neighborhood kids did go down and hop the train. It was a slow moving freight train shuttling between the factory loading docks. It was easy to jump on the rear corner of the cars where there was a ladder. But once I was running along and jumped in to the open side of the box car. Between the slope of the hill, and my short size I barely made it into the car and I remember my legs dangling and my friends luckily that were already in the car were able to grab me and pull me in. If they had not, I would have been run over. Dumb dumb and dumber but we did it.

yes when I think back to the risk we kids took running across rail tracks, really dumb as you say. Looks like she jumped off took photo's and (maybe) holding the camera in one hand simply was not careful enough with horrible consequences RIP

edit (quote):

An eyewitness said the victim jumped out of the slow-moving train for photographing and jumped onto the train again.

However she missed the steps and rolled into the rails.

Saiyok forensic officials and police were inspecting the scene.

Source: http://englishnews.t...k-station-train

Edited by binjalin