Credit Card Info

guys , the same old credit card thread again , few questions

1. Is it worthwhile having a thai credit card ( i mean in terms of security and usage esp when we travel overseas)

2. Is there a " Secured" Credit culture here , where you lodge some money with a bank and get a credit card half its limit?

3. and has any one got a credit card in thailand without a work permit who is not married to a thai lady?

regards

1. No: it is not worth having a Thai Credit card. You will need to deposit the equivilent in cash in a term-deposit at the Thai bank of the credit card as surety. If you experience loss of card, and/or fraud beit on internet or other means you will be responsible for repayment of money lost in full.

2. Yes: If you are a non-Thai citizen you will have to deposit funds, which match the credit card limit.

3. No: I have never heard of anyone WITHOUT a work permit and a company/embassy reference getting a Thai Bank credit card.

I recommend you get one from your home country. It is not difficult. Plus in the U.K. and other western countries they now offer pre-paid Mastercards anyway, if you fail to meet the credit-card security checks.

Good luck.

You'd better make a trip to Singapore in case you don't have a credit card already. The HSBC in Singapore is offering a secured credit card, better and safer than Thailand, plus, they won't even give you a credit card in Thailand unless you have a work permit with a big salary attached to it.

1. No: it is not worth having a Thai Credit card. You will need to deposit the equivilent in cash in a term-deposit at the Thai bank of the credit card as surety. If you experience loss of card, and/or fraud beit on internet or other means you will be responsible for repayment of money lost in full.

i did actually receive a mastercard gold card with a 200,000 credit limit without work permit and without any kind of deposit. all i did show them about me was my passport, id card and bank statements of the last 6 months showing my offshore income. admitted, that's over 100k thai baht per month so that was probably one of the reasons why i was approved.

as for fraud or anything else, i have access to a 24/7 call center and am entitled to dispute any transactions i didn't make for a period of 60 days, according to my contract with them.

i did actually receive a mastercard gold card with a 200,000 credit limit without work permit and without any kind of deposit. all i did show them about me was my passport, id card and bank statements of the last 6 months showing my offshore income. admitted, that's over 100k thai baht per month so that was probably one of the reasons why i was approved.

as for fraud or anything else, i have access to a 24/7 call center and am entitled to dispute any transactions i didn't make for a period of 60 days, according to my contract with them.

Rainman, I'm sorry for being indiscreet, but where exactly have you managed to do it? Do you have an address of the branch?

Rainman, I'm sorry for being indiscreet, but where exactly have you managed to do it? Do you have an address of the branch?

QUOTE RAINMAN

Central Card (you know, the Central shopping complexes?). Bangkok Bank wanted security desposits, which they received, then called later and wanted even more, then even wanted the work permit which i had already told them i didn't have and they said was no issue, etc. etc. so i wouldn't recommend for anyone to even try there.

I am still mystified why anyone would want a Thai Bank Credit Card: Especially now e-cards are available at TFB.

Very interesting... Which branch ? If so thousands of expat will be able to do do this :o

Given the Security, Consumer Protection, Purchase Insurance, sound legal framework, high credit limts and no membership costs of Western Cridit Cards, I'm at a loss why anyone would go begging to be allowed a Thai credit card, doubly so if they are havng to secure the card with hard cash.

The Thai Credit Card Companies have a lot of catching up to do before they'll get my business.

Given the Security, Consumer Protection, Purchase Insurance, sound legal framework, high credit limts and no membership costs of Western Cridit Cards, I'm at a loss why anyone would go begging to be allowed a Thai credit card, doubly so if they are havng to secure the card with hard cash.

The Thai Credit Card Companies have a lot of catching up to do before they'll get my business.

Exactly! It baffles me why anyone would want a Thai Bank Credit Card. They are just not needed, ever! There will always be an alternative safer, cheaper, more reliable option available.

Cash is KING in the L.O.S. it can work miracles!

Exactly! It baffles me why anyone would want a Thai Bank Credit Card. They are just not needed, ever! There will always be an alternative safer, cheaper, more reliable option available.

Compared to cash, my Thai plat credit card gets me into airport lounge; 1% discount on petrol at Caltex; various discounts at various restaurants and shopping (e.g. 5% additional discount on top of the 40% discount I already got on a Zegna suit, 10% - 25% discount when dining at certain restuarants such as Erawan Tearoom); free gifts with purchases at Homepro (I think I got a TV when I tiled my place), Gaysorn, Central etc from time to time (and especially useful during end of season sales I received a trip to stay in Phuket worth about 10,000b and just last week got a trip to stay at Sattahip worth a similar amount for purchases I would make no matter what); 1 month of free credit vs. cash; limit 3X my monthly salary; has chip technology protection (which my NZ visa does not as it only has the swipe strip); legal framework and purchase insurance untested, but since it is underwritten by GE I am not too worried; no membership charge (vs. NZ card of $14 every 6 months); 6 months interest free on certain electrical appliances if I wanted it. Access to certain social events, and 24 free visits to the gym a year (a useful gift).

Also of course...mileage scheme; will end up with a free trip to Korea about once every two years. About the same as a western card.

Couldn't get any of these with cash, and only some of those benefits with a foreign CC.

So...even though I would like to believe cash is king (and I used to truly believe that) the CC industry can offer things that you just cannot get with cash here, especially at the modern format shopping centres who run VISA promotions. And with no membership fee, it costs nothing to have it?!

Compared to cash, my Thai plat credit card gets me into airport lounge; 1% discount on petrol at Caltex; various discounts at various restaurants and shopping (e.g. 5% additional discount on top of the 40% discount I already got on a Zegna suit, 10% - 25% discount when dining at certain restuarants such as Erawan Tearoom); free gifts with purchases at Homepro (I think I got a TV when I tiled my place), Gaysorn, Central etc from time to time (and especially useful during end of season sales I received a trip to stay in Phuket worth about 10,000b and just last week got a trip to stay at Sattahip worth a similar amount for purchases I would make no matter what); 1 month of free credit vs. cash; limit 3X my monthly salary; has chip technology protection (which my NZ visa does not as it only has the swipe strip); legal framework and purchase insurance untested, but since it is underwritten by GE I am not too worried; no membership charge (vs. NZ card of $14 every 6 months); 6 months interest free on certain electrical appliances if I wanted it. Access to certain social events, and 24 free visits to the gym a year (a useful gift).

Also of course...mileage scheme; will end up with a free trip to Korea about once every two years. About the same as a western card.

Couldn't get any of these with cash, and only some of those benefits with a foreign CC.

So...even though I would like to believe cash is king (and I used to truly believe that) the CC industry can offer things that you just cannot get with cash here, especially at the modern format shopping centres who run VISA promotions. And with no membership fee, it costs nothing to have it?!

Too bad that most of us farangs can't get a credit card in LOS.

Too bad that most of us farangs can't get a credit card in LOS.

If you have earnings here, work permit and so on, can't see why you would have a problem, I know when I previously asked about this (as one of my clients is a major multinational with finance products) a number of members told me not to bother going after foreigners, as most of them with legitimate reasons for being here (work) already had cards?....

If you are earning a farang wage i.e. 100k+ a month, have a work permit and can't get a card, PM me and I'll let you know which companies I know for a fact will give you one.

If you are only here on holiday, then I guess, no, then it would be tough to get one here. Can't comment on retirement, as don't know anyone in that situation?

i dont work here and neither does my wife and until recently cash was king for us.

at the beginning of this year my sister in law said that she was offered a credit card by her bank (sc) , she didnt need it as she had cards already but offered it to my wife , who now uses the card , it is in her sisters name and even on the very rare occasions when id has been asked for , the stores have never so much as blinked an eyelid at the fact that the card and signature are in a different name to the id.

even a purchase of over 100,000b worth of airline tickets was not queried.

no wonder visa uk wont send a replacement card to me here.

as steveromagnino says , the card gets us all sorts of discounts and freebies and apart from the total lack of security procedures taken by shop staff when the card is used it has turned out to be useful .

we pay our sister in law monthly when the bill arrives.

Edited by taxexile

I dunno, all did did was apply at citibank and they gave me a visa with 500k limit. no deposit. whats the big deal?

Most of my friends and co workers also have thai credit cards, again no deposit

Edited by t.s

Very interesting... Which branch ? If so thousands of expat will be able to do do this :D

any Central (the shopping malls) branch will have an application. they just assist you to fill it out, either Visa or MasterCard (i did MasterCard) and will then send it to the main office for approval. i just had a friend of mine, who is employed by a Thai company for over 2 years, submit the application and it came back a week later already, denied. so i really don't know why i got it... :o but give it a try and let us know how it goes.

• 1 month later...
I dunno, all did did was apply at citibank and they gave me a visa with 500k limit. no deposit. whats the big deal?

Most of my friends and co workers also have thai credit cards, again no deposit

yes, but you have a work permit right?

Citi also gave me a 575k limit which I thought was an odd number (with no relation to anything)..but Im thinking of canceling it because they charge B4K a year (and another bank pre-approved a free card with almost the same limit)...

Central Platinum MC gave me a slightly lower limit (but round number of 500k) and charge 4k a year (but in addition to alot of other benefits, they gave me a free Priority Pass black card for airport lounges, which normally costs US$399 per year--and I've used it quite often as a back up to Star Alliance lounges).....