NRC on media reform calls for free but ethical press

webfact

NRC on media reform calls for free but ethical press

BANGKOK, 26 November 2014 (NNT) - The National Reform Council (NRC) committee in charge of mass media reform revealed that the majority sentiment submitted by the public called for a free but ethical press, and that the NRC would be ready to submit its proposals to the Constitutional Drafting Committee by November 30.

Tuanchai Sintuwanik, spokesperson of the NRC committee in charge of mass media reform along with deputy spokesperson Bunlerd Kachayuthdech delivered the statement detailing that the majority of input gathered called for a free but responsible press that doesn’t violate the rights of citizens.

The general consensus agreed that the press should adhere to constructive ethical codes of conduct aimed at properly informing its consumers and be subject to scrutiny by the public. General input also called for laws protecting the press from outside influence and raising public awareness about media accountability.

The NRC committee in charge of mass media will meet on November 30 to conclude all the suggestions before presenting them to the Constitutional Drafting Committee.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-27 footer_n.gif

Perhaps if the press reported with a degree of honesty and integrity, this would not be needed.

I have been amazed at how biased the media are here The people in charge have been bought just the same as in every other business which can influence who gets the power.

I saw a report by Jonathon Head on the BBc yesterday about the big police bust. What was the focus of his report ?. The seniority and sheer scale of the corruption ?. The cover up by the previous government and all the other police chiefs ?.

No - he spent over half the report whining that les-majeste stopped him mentioning the royal family. That guy has a real chip on his shoulder.

I saw a report by Jonathon Head on the BBc yesterday about the big police bust. What was the focus of his report ?. The seniority and sheer scale of the corruption ?. The cover up by the previous government and all the other police chiefs ?.

No - he spent over half the report whining that les-majeste stopped him mentioning the royal family. That guy has a real chip on his shoulder.

You seem to feel it's a major tragedy that the British army has not taken over that country and ordered reform of the press. I sure get that from your post, anyhow.

But consider this (because it's true): Jonathon Head may know about the big police bust, and it seems from your post that he does. You definitely do not know about it.

When you find out the background of the big police bust, revisit Mr Head's report. It may make sense to you, because it is a highly sensible report, at least according to your version of it, and everyone who actually knows about the big police bust understands the report and understands his frustration, both.

• Like 1

Perhaps if the press reported with a degree of honesty and integrity, this would not be needed.

I have been amazed at how biased the media are here The people in charge have been bought just the same as in every other business which can influence who gets the power.

Wow!

Try to read articles that are not produced in Thailand and you might become a little more educated.

Like somebody else I know....

"General input also called for laws protecting the press from outside influence ..."

The approval of such laws could have a draconian strangulation of a free and OPEN press in Thailand - far beyond the Junta's current erratic efforts to censor press reporting.

By "outside" I assume "foreign." So shall the Thai press be isolated physically and electronically from the foreign press so it's not infected by foreign reporting or even as extreme to ban foreign press in Thailand? Might such a ban go so far as banning any foreign news broadcasts and reporting in Thailand. If someone within the Thailand press community is deemed to be "under outside influence," how would that be known and what is the consequence? Shall there be an attitude adjustment, a fine, firing, imprisonment.

There is a saying that the pen is more powerful than the sword. But the NRC may design a "free" press with no ink.