Phil Hughes: Australian batsman dies, aged 25

webfact

Phil Hughes: Australian batsman dies, aged 25

(BBC) Australia Test batsman Phil Hughes has died, two days after being hit on the head by a ball.

Australia team doctor Peter Brukner said he never regained consciousness and died in hospital in Sydney.

Hughes, 25, was carried off on a stretcher at the Sydney Cricket Ground after a short-pitched delivery struck his head, missing his helmet.

He had CPR and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation before being taken to hospital and placed in an induced coma.

In a statement, Peter Brukner said: "It is my sad duty to inform you that a short time ago Phillip Hughes passed away. He never regained consciousness following his injury on Tuesday.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/30219440

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-27

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whistling.gif Sorry for being a dumb yank, but what exactly is a "short pitched delivery"?

The delivery part I understand, but the term "short pitched" has me confused.

Short pitch deliveries are used as a technic to slow down an agressive batsman, its bowled with in the middle range of the pitch to create more bounce, usually aimed to the shoulder to head area.

whistling.gif Sorry for being a dumb yank, but what exactly is a "short pitched delivery"?

Unlike baseball, the ball is supposed to bounce off the pitch before arriving at the batsmen, a short pitched delivery would be somewhere in the vicinity of 10-12 metres from the batsmen and at somewhere in the range of 130-150 kph. The pitch is 22 yards long, approx 20 metres.

The ball rises sharply from the pitch and if directed at the batsman he either ducks and allows it to pass through to the keeper or attempts to play at it.

Hope that helps you understand.

Bam Bam

• Like 1

I am stunned at this dreadfully sad news. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. I am saddened that the world has lost a great cricketer, but more that the world has lost a 25 year old man - a son to his parents - merely a boy in their eyes - as a parent as well, I truly feel great shock and sadness for them.

My thoughts also go out to Sean Abbott - I am certain his feelings right now are indescribable - such a tragedy cannot easily be overcome, and this will take time for all involved.

Sadly, this can happen in sport - it is not the fault of anyone, and certainly not the bowler - he was doing what he had trained to do, to play the game the way it is played - and exactly the same must be said of Phil Hughes - he was a sportsman and played to the best of his ability.

A very sad day for all.

• Like 2

Unlike in baseball, a cricked ball is bowled so as to hit the pitch between bowler and batsman.

Usually, the ball hits the pitch a yard or so in front of where the batsman is standing, and this is referred to as a 'good length'.

Occasionally, a fast bowler will deliberately pitch the ball further away from the batsman, so that the ball bounces high and reaches the batsman at chest or head height. This is a short-pitched delivery, or a 'bouncer' and is used to unsettle or intimidate a batsman. It is a legitimate tactic in cricket when used sparingly.

This is the main reason that batsmen wear helmets, but tragically in this case, the ball, which was travelling at 145kph, missed the helmet and struck the player in an unprotected and vulnerable spot.

A sickening tragedy and probably the worst shock this great game has suffered in over 50 years.

Awful news. Looked in a bad way on the pitch but was hoping he'd pull through. All the protection in a cricket helmet is from the front; you hook and miss or swivel around to avoid the bouncer and you're at the mercy a bit, but even the odd one can get through from the front as with Broad recently. The bouncer is part of the game and there are risks in many sports, but wonder if they'll make mandatory more substantial helmets. RIP

Horrendous news.

Shows that basically other than a glancing blow to the top of your head, a helmet offers little protection.

I played cricket to a high enough level and saw 2 or 3 horrendous injuries from top edges into the face. So everyone started wearing helmets and then they became compulsory for kids playing.

But recently 2 through the grill and peak last year and one fractured skull. The helmets need a serious redesign and rethink. Or batsmen, and I am not singling Hughes in any way here, need to start ducking and weaving a bit more instead of being happy hookers and thinking their helmet will save them.

Times have changed, and virtually no batsmen leave bouncers anymore. Bowling machines and helmets mean that even numbers 7/11 are happy hookers these days. It isn't meant to be that way, but time have changed.

Very tragic for the Hughes family and cricket in general. He was a good player and well liked it seems. A little unlucky with selection I think.

Anyone who can get 100 at wanderers in their 2nd or 3 rd match off ntini and morkel can't be a bad player. Rip.

Horrendous news.

Shows that basically other than a glancing blow to the top of your head, a helmet offers little protection.

I played cricket to a high enough level and saw 2 or 3 horrendous injuries from top edges into the face. So everyone started wearing helmets and then they became compulsory for kids playing.

But recently 2 through the grill and peak last year and one fractured skull. The helmets need a serious redesign and rethink. Or batsmen, and I am not singling Hughes in any way here, need to start ducking and weaving a bit more instead of being happy hookers and thinking their helmet will save them.

Times have changed, and virtually no batsmen leave bouncers anymore. Bowling machines and helmets mean that even numbers 7/11 are happy hookers these days. It isn't meant to be that way, but time have changed.

Very tragic for the Hughes family and cricket in general. He was a good player and well liked it seems. A little unlucky with selection I think.

Anyone who can get 100 at wanderers in their 2nd or 3 rd match off ntini and morkel can't be a bad player. Rip.

Mate, the ball hit him at the base of the scull-top of the neck, at the rear/side. The ball crushed and split the artery. Apparently it's happened once before by a cricket ball. I can't recall it though.

It's absolutely tragic, The helmet would need to come way, way down to cover that area.

He was a great cricketer and country boy from Macksville on the NSW mid north coast.

Horrendous news.

Mate, the ball hit him at the base of the scull-top of the neck, at the rear/side. The ball crushed and split the artery. Apparently it's happened once before by a cricket ball. I can't recall it though.

It's absolutely tragic, The helmet would need to come way, way down to cover that area.

He was a great cricketer and country boy from Macksville on the NSW mid north coast.

Its horrendously bad luck. The only other story of a death batting I remember reading was a kid getting hit over the heart and then batting on.

The design has been essentially the same for 30 years. They will come up with something now. A shroud? A skullcap? Its a life and death issue tragically and it deserves a rethink.

Bear in mind, there have been plenty of cases of it going between peak and grill. Now I am not sure about you, but if doubt there isnt one company out there with a solution.

• Like 2