Report: Retirement Visa Extension at Chiang Mai Immigration, 2014-11-27 (Th)

Seligne2

It is not that the regulations and the basic documentary requirements are different. They aren't.

Not sure what you mean by that but if you follow the Visa section and the other community forums on Visa issues you will find there can be considerable differences in requirement regardless of what the regs say.

yes they do appear to vary greatly and woe betide you if you try and quote the official regs - best just to smile and get on with it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Help!!! I didn't see OP quote a sign for visa extensions!!! What line did OP get into so that he got a visa extension queue number????

Has anyone gone to immigration at 8am to get a visa extension and was successful? Are all the queue numbers for visa extensions gone by 8am???

Last year I got there at 8:00. Got my extension, no problem. This year I went at 1:45. Got my extension, no problem. I will NEVER go to a government office at 4:50 A.M. or 5:50 A.M....never.

Posted Yesterday, 13:16

well to report back we did go and yes i was there at like 430 am Ouch! but there was a line already for 201,lol We where 8th in line.)) well it went like everyone said except they handed out the Q numbers at 7 am. no pre Q numbers. the only problem we had was they wanted a document from us embassy about our marriage certificate lol . it was in English with Apostille. and was Original . The funny thing was the guy didn't want my new address with lease or house book .just my income statement from embassy. we where out and back home by 1130 am.

So off to the embassy to get document for marriage. went back in a week same time ouch again! and we where 9th in line. So at 7 am they passed out Pre Q numbers ?? this time. fell to 11 place ? and at 830 am they passed out the real Q numbers. the problem was no one listened to him to wait to call out the Pre Q numbers to get your real Q numbers,lol But was lucky and got # 10 lol this time.so when we got there the woman took our embassy document on marriage certificate and wanted just a copy's of both? Not the Originals. and because this was for my wife as dependent they did take the copy of lease this time.we both got multi-entrys as well. funny thing is they never once asked or wanted my passbook copies showing my 2 months?

so all in all we where out and home by 12 pm. they where all really nice, this is just some thing i noticed, A lot of people did not come prepared document wise. i think in part because like me, had we known about needing the embassy certification of our marriage. i would have had that before going.

No where did i read here or in the rules where i needed one. so if they published all that you needed to bring and all was the same from officer or offices would help most who go there. Anyway it was not that bad. made the best of it.met a few nice people there.

Even though I am able to converse with them in the Thai language, I always present with my wife, she has her little talk with them, as most Thai ladies deem necessary, and the whole process proceeds in a fast, pleasant and courteous manner. I have never experienced any of the difficulties others seem to have on their visits...

Same situation with me. If I get there and the queues are just too long, I'll come back another day with my partner. She goes in ahead of me with my passport and papers and chats with the ladies or with the guy that does my extension each year, provided that he is available. After that everything moves very quickly.

It is not that the regulations and the basic documentary requirements are different. They aren't.

Not sure what you mean by that but if you follow the Visa section and the other community forums on Visa issues you will find there can be considerable differences in requirement regardless of what the regs say.

I am writing about Chiang Mai. I can not comment about other offices. Otherwise, when I read posts it seems that there is half a story or just some basic misunderstandings.

Otherwise, my operative word here is basic. There are not so much differences as there are actions of a Chiang Mai officer to confirm information provided by your documents.

One simple example for a retirement extension is the occasional request for residential information. That is a bit puzzling to me,relly, but it might be to confirm you are extending in the appropriate office, or eventually to match up with your reported residence per householder/hotel/condo, etc. People do move around from one extension to another. I suspect that this might have gotten even more strenuous in the case of marriage visas, as noted below.

A second example which might be considered would be a request for passbook pages from bankbooks to confirm a bank statement, a recent "matching" of balances. Verifying account "seasoning," of course, is the primary reason to check. Sometimes an officer might be looking for indications of the games some people play, such as short term loans or rotating deposits.

About marriage visas (with which I have no personal experience) I have heard about various sorts of confirming information being requested --- as well as residence visits by Immigration officers. The basic reason for that is probably a reaction to the marriage of convenience racket.

In my personal experience in Chiang Mai over some ten years, the only confirmation I have experienced is the passbook pages check for seasoning Thai bank accounts.

All in all, it does have to be remembered that immigration officers may pretty much ask for whatever confirmation they feel necessary to tell whether or not a person is genuine so carrying along some basic supporting information for pensions or a copy of your TM30 receipt or some other "proof" of residence sure doesn't hurt.

What have I missed out on?

By mid afternoon today they'd processed all the tickets they issued to the line and, having got a number at about 10:00, I came back at 3:00 and after a very short wait had my Retirement Extension processed and passport returned in about 20 minutes. The exception rather than the rule perhaps, but my experience of going later in the day for 90 reports has nearly always been good too. I understand that those who have to travel some distance want to ensure they get seen the same day but am beginning to feel that this getting up at the crack of dawn isn't quite as necessary as it's made out to be.

The staff were very helpful and polite as ever and I even got a car parking space. That was a surprise...

By mid afternoon today they'd processed all the tickets they issued to the line and, having got a number at about 10:00, I came back at 3:00 and after a very short wait had my Retirement Extension processed and passport returned in about 20 minutes. The exception rather than the rule perhaps, but my experience of going later in the day for 90 reports has nearly always been good too. I understand that those who have to travel some distance want to ensure they get seen the same day but am beginning to feel that this getting up at the crack of dawn isn't quite as necessary as it's made out to be.

Greenside, always the voice of reason. I couldn't agree more. I'm always amused at these reports of people going to Immigration at 4:50 A.M. LOL... Last week one reported he/she went at 3:30. I too, pop in when it suits me and take care of my business. If it's too crowded one day, then I'll just come back another. I always give myself about 20 days before my extension is up so there is plenty of time. No need to do something adventurous like camping out at a government office. I'm not a morning person so I'm glad so many turn up at these crazy hours so that the rest of us can go at more reasonable hours. thumbsup.gif

Bank letter confirmation.

Does it have to have same date on the letter as the day you process the application for extension?

If not, how many days "leeway" is there.

Thanks.

I've never had it dated the same date and I've understood the bank letter (confirming you have the applicable amount in your account) must be issued/dated within 7 days of the date of extension.

Another thing I've understood is that your bank book (and copies of same) must show the same balance in the account as the bank letter states (i.e., don't be withdrawing some money after you get the bank letter and updating your passbook so that your bank book and your bank letter show differing amounts).

That is why i think it is well worth the agency fee. I did this myself for 4 years and each year it got worse.

In my opinion it is money well spent ,i value my time .

Just think of the added congestion if we did not have the agency's to relieve the amount of people that would have to attend every day.

More money than sense.You will never learn how things work if you pay people to take over your responcibility.Just think of all the grumpy farangs you missed out on meeting.

oh the joys of engaging my super duper visa agent @14 baht a day..ret/visa plus 90 day reports thrown in

all d.i.y . eat your hearts out

and have a nice day at the zoo

ES You are like a broken record.Unless you have something constructive to post why do you bother ?

Boredom ,ego or a bit of both ?

sparkles great to see that u are thrilled to read my posts, and reply to them, do thank u for that, as it makes my day

nice one sport,

see from this thread a couple members are having some luck visiting during the office hrs

perhaps with the early morning hours scrum, combined with the visa agents comprehensive service to the aliens,growing each week

this has given some leeway to do so, but for how long????

a very nice afternoon to allsmile.png

• 4 months later...

The odds of remembering the 100 day reservation system finally caught up with me... Today was 100 days out and all the reservations are filled. Likely a 2 day trip required for that simple error this past month since I'm in Lampang province and first need to get to Chiang Mai by song tail or bus (and buses never arrive in CM before 10:45! bah.gif )

If I take a songtail I head first to the bank to get my statement of seasoned cash in account, then maybe reach the offices by noon. Depending upon the crowd that day it might be possible to get in and out - but Murphey's law means I need to prepare to stay a night. Anyway, thanks for this ongoing explanation:

This at least part of the reason for such delays at CM Imm:

Citylife: What is your biggest challenge in this job?
Pol. Col. Prachak: The lack of support from those in charge in Bangkok. Something as simple as staffing; our budget allows for 66 staff, we currently have only 52. The problem is that the hiring comes out of Bangkok and is a long process involving sitting exams, interviews and screenings. Bangkok doesn’t seem to be making any effort to hire the extra 14 staff we so desperately need here. I wish I could just put an ad in the papers and get some people in but they are appointed to me and I have no control. They need to transfer people from elsewhere and they are not doing it.
In two years we are going to be flooded when ASEAN finally opens its borders. Our facilities are inadequate, as are our personnel. It is going to be a mess.
As posted previously on another thread - forget which one http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=3724

;b++){var>

The odds of remembering the 100 day reservation system finally caught up with me... Today was 100 days out and all the reservations are filled. Likely a 2 day trip required for that simple error this past month since I'm in Lampang province and first need to get to Chiang Mai by song tail or bus (and buses never arrive in CM before 10:45! bah.gif )

Why didn't you start trying to book a slot starting 130 days before?

Do you know you can renew up to 30 days early but still get the renewal from your original date, there's no penalty.

OP, if I understand you correctly, you STILL have many chances to make an appointment online within the 30-day period before the expiration date --- at the Chiang Mai office. I hope that I am correct if that is where you are going.

But why there? I don't understand why you are coming to Chiang Mai if you are in Lampang Province? Don't you have to extend in the province in which you live? Isn't there an immigration office in Muaeng Lampang? Look here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zgfDwlRKjQiw.ki8rj55aIYww&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&z=6

How far are you from there? There you may or may not be able to make an online appointment --- I don't know --- but how busy would it be anyway? And how far away?

Maybe someone else will be able to sort this out if I have it wrong.

OP, if I understand you correctly, you STILL have many chances to make an appointment online within the 30-day period before the expiration date --- at the Chiang Mai office. I hope that I am correct if that is where you are going.

But why there? I don't understand why you are coming to Chiang Mai if you are in Lampang Province? Don't you have to extend in the province in which you live? Isn't there an immigration office in Muaeng Lampang? Look here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zgfDwlRKjQiw.ki8rj55aIYww&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&z=6

How far are you from there? There you may or may not be able to make an online appointment --- I don't know --- but how busy would it be anyway? And how far away?

Maybe someone else will be able to sort this out if I have it wrong.

Followed your link as I have a friend there,it came up 90 day reports only,if correct that's obviously the reason

Thanks Mapguy and Sparkles
Those living in Lampang must go to Chiang Mai for annual extensions - Lampang office is an option only for 90-Day notifications.
The mental calendar was right on - I was remembering 100days though, not 130 days to begin attempting a reservation. The past week got hectic and on the morning I remembered it was precisely 100 days out - and already booked solid.
My error, and I'll suffer the trip and extended time/ expense for the error. ... and I'll go early by a few weeks in case anything else goes off track. (Got the annual photo updated yesterday along with copies of the needed attachments.)

• 2 months later...

The extension is done clap2.gif and lesson well learned as to waiting till the 100th day before due to seek an appointment.
Good news is I have avoided the assured initial confusion this year as parts of the Immigration staff and activity move to Promenada. Up early and on the road early on the 29th to Chiang Mai, but the songtail broke down on one of the hills. Still, even with a 90 minute delay getting another ride (20 stranded passengers pushing onto the initial vehicles) I was into the city, and had collected my bank certification letter in time to still make it to Immigration in the AM. Fellow extendees (and immigration staff) can guess the rest - too long a queue to be seen that afternoon, please return tomorrow.

The good news here is that the wife and I didn't need an appointment to get our dental work done in the afternoon. thumbsup.gif
(Says something when dental visits are counted as a bonus huh.png )

Arrived 4:30 AM on Tuesday and was already well back in line. When finally called the paperwork processing went quickly and smoothly - almost as long a wait at the digital photo desk as for the paper checking and stamps. Then one last wait for the return of the passport - out the door at 10:35 AM.
When finally back home I was truly exhausted. No jet flights, but definitely the feeling of jet-lag ... from two days of very early rising and the stress of getting things hopefully right so as to have no snags. Handling it now, but I'm wanting a long life - and don't relish doing this trip when I get into my 80s maybe 90s.sad.png

Thanks for reporting back RPCV

Always good to hear what the "current" situation is like there

Pretty surprised you were there @ 4:30 & already well back in the line.

I guess it just shows how many are now living in CM & needing to get seen

Thanks again

The extension is done clap2.gif and lesson well learned as to waiting till the 100th day before due to seek an appointment.

Good news is I have avoided the assured initial confusion this year as parts of the Immigration staff and activity move to Promenada. Up early and on the road early on the 29th to Chiang Mai, but the songtail broke down on one of the hills. Still, even with a 90 minute delay getting another ride (20 stranded passengers pushing onto the initial vehicles) I was into the city, and had collected my bank certification letter in time to still make it to Immigration in the AM. Fellow extendees (and immigration staff) can guess the rest - too long a queue to be seen that afternoon, please return tomorrow.

The good news here is that the wife and I didn't need an appointment to get our dental work done in the afternoon. thumbsup.gif

Arrived 4:30 AM on Tuesday and was already well back in line. When finally called the paperwork processing went quickly and smoothly - almost as long a wait at the digital photo desk as for the paper checking and stamps. Then one last wait for the return of the passport - out the door at 10:35 AM.

When finally back home I was truly exhausted. No jet flights, but definitely the feeling of jet-lag ... from two days of very early rising and the stress of getting things hopefully right so as to have no snags. Handling it now, but I'm wanting a long life - and don't relish doing this trip when I get into my 80s maybe 90s.sad.png

I do sympathize with your problem and experience --- and much appreciate your good humor --- but perhaps you have not taken fully into account the preparations that all of us must make as individuals to fit into the reality of services provided. it sounds like you might not have a Starbucks on the corner of your soi. Well, the Department of Immigration can't manage that, either. So, in making decisions and practical arrangements for now and the future, think about the array of options open to you about where to live, et cetera, and, perhaps, you might decide you don't live in the right place with the right resources with adequate foresight to deal effectively or easily with some serious matters.

In any case, best wishes.

Edited by Mapguy

Old age drama queen.

All you have to do is get an agent if you want assistance.

I do sympathize with your problem and experience --- and much appreciate your good humor --- but perhaps you have not taken fully into account the preparations that all of us must make as individuals to fit into the reality of services provided. it sounds like you might not have a Starbucks on the corner of your soi. Well, the Department of Immigration can't manage that, either. So, in making decisions and practical arrangements for now and the future, think about the array of options open to you about where to live, et cetera, and, perhaps, you might decide you don't live in the right place with the right resources with adequate foresight to deal effectively or easily with some serious matters.

In any case, best wishes.

Thanks. I posted my experience so as to give a heads up to those who are new to Chiang Mai, but more so - to add to the record for Immigration to have as to why they need more staff (along with the added space.)

I indeed live far from a Starbucks - and 360+ days a year that is just fine. I'm out in the hills with my wife, stepchildren and a step-granddaughter too... in a neighborhood that is also half first cousins or closer. It is the quiet rural life I prefer - with people knowing me by name as I bike even further in the hills for exercise. The house we've built and gardens/ fruit trees on our lot (20m x 22m) are all I want to deal with... Getting an agent would still mean a trip to the city, and I save those to as few as possible, combining as above the legal with the health reasons.

No complaints with immigration other than they are understaffed - and no problems with people in line either. The reality for Chiang Mai is the need to get an appointment so as to avoid the line that requires such early hours.

Back to the idea of an agent, I do recall this post

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/765498-thai-immigration-boss-warns-of-fake-extension-stamps/#entry8478014

and I also know the same person who issues the receipt is the person who takes the digital photo- so that step uses what photo?

There is a thread that discusses the long term concern I expressed - and giving a limited POA to my wife for purposes of Visa Extensions as discussed here - meaning I've probably answered my own concluding question from above.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590801-visa-for-the-old-or-too-sick-to-travelwhat-options/page-2#entry5756477

It sounds like a probable way through. Then again, that state of frail health is hopefully another decade or two away. Who knows what rules or services will be in place then. wai.gif

Suggest the next time you have to go to the airport immigration office come in to Cmai a day or two early and stay at the Airport Greenery diagonally opposite Aiport Plaza, a short walk to immigation. There are a couple of hotel-like places behind the Greenery. Last time I looked they were advertising B400 per night. That's my routine.

Here ya go:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@18.769538,98.977804,3a,75y,117.7h,97.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGq6x6Mq2mbqZZf5hBtqOVg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Edited by ataloss

Thanks, that is close, and the price looks nice - for the rooms depicted (or are those old photos?)
http://www.agoda.com/airport-greenery-serviced-apartment/hotel/chiang-mai-th.html?asq=axmx5%2fSG2Q5l4iJtV1qMVaFMDA4xETeQBxJ6Gfqw582jqFnRB%2bFgxgD9%2byMJH7FUc9vgWjSYGqWiAU7PI2xuUZpBLG7U%2bazRQVmrQceQ6uC8cl3%2f4lRzhLVkrfUsO1cPsTImIWwrqhbqBv1qLiBKwDCQKR84vFwo7GSRfgozfw4%3d&cid=1646620&tag=f5d07df0-d804-4c6c-a6ba-f60a64a05529

EDITED => Of course the new location will be near Promenada. No biggie as a difference from Airport. Straight shot south from Arcade, and very close to the Big C. So far I rent a Honda Click when in town, and stay at a Guest house across the street from the rental. Both locations are about the same distance.

Edited by RPCVguy