Report: Retirement Visa Extension at Chiang Mai Immigration, 2014-11-27 (Th)

Seligne2

At the risk of being pedantic and subject to ridicule, here is a blow-by-blow account of a morning spent at CM Immigration. It is intended to help those who seek information. There is a short version and a longer version.

Short version: In by 04:50, out by 11:19

Longer version:

04:50: Arrived at CM Immigration. There were 13 persons already queued up in one line of two-persons side-by-side. The adjacent parking lot was closed, leaving us to park motorbikes inside the Immigration compound near the gate. At this hour there were about 5 free car parking spaces. At this hour there are also some chairs available for early-birds.

06:15: The guardian came and told us to move our motorbikes to the adjacent parking lot, now open. Scramble ensues.

06:20: The sun was up high enough now to allow us to see that there were A4-sized placards stapled to the building's east side eaves. They are above eye level and not obvious. We were meant to form queues corresponding to our category. From left to right, they read as follows (verbatim, with spelling corrected):

201: In the case of teacher, researcher, state-owned educational, private educational, mass media function, Buddhism or religious function, missionary, retirement, visit Thai spouse or child, medical treatment, etc.

301: In the case of transfer visa to new passport, endorsement, non-quota, BOI (Board of Investment only), Change visa.

401: In the case of Business, family member of Thailand (spouse/child/child of his or her spouse), volunteers, etc.

501: Notify 90 days

06:35: The last car parking space was taken.

06:55: Immigration ladies came out to hand out number cards. I was given Number 15. With our number cards we took seats in the immigration building.

07:20: My number 15 was called and I went to the front desk. The officer took a quick look at my passport and give me my "real" number: 214. This is the number that, when called, will allow me to conduct my business with an immigration officer. As the office does not open until 08:30, when they start calling numbers, this means some free time. (NB: the numbers are allocated according to a system. The first digit of your number determines what "counter" you get sent to. If you want to know more, I have appended a paragraph at the end for the curious).

07:30: I walked to the rear of the compound where there is a copy shop (hours are 07:30-16:30). They make photocopies and take photos. I had a 4 x 6 cm photo taken, the size required for the TM7 form. You get 4 photos for 100 baht.

08:30: First numbers were called promptly: Number 201 to Counter 5.

10:28: My number was called. I went to Counter (desk) 5, staffed by Officer Atitaya Inthapun. I have had her before and she is pleasant and ruthlessly efficient.

I handed her my:

• Completed TM7 form with 4 x 6 cm photo (to save time, GlueStick your photo to the form prior)
  • Copy of passport info page, Thai immigration stamps, departure card, 90-day report (+passport original)
  • Original letter from bank attesting to bank balance as of 2014-11-25
  • Copies of bank books for all accounts as of 2014-11-25 showing 3+ months balance (+ bank book originals)
  • Evidence of lodging address (lease contract)
  • 1.9k baht

(Do sign all photocopies).

10:43: Officer Atitaya completed her due diligence, put the appropriate stamps in my passport and directed me to another desk between Counters (desks) 6 and 7. There a staffer did some data entry and took a photo of me. Total elapsed time, 6 minutes. I was told to wait for the return of my passport and my 100 baht change.

I hung around waiting. The immigration waiting room at 11:00 was only about three-quarters full. I have never seen it so empty at that hour.

11:19: They called my name and country and returned my passport and change to me. END! (for another year).

Note on numbers and "counters": At CM Immigration there are 7 service "counters" (only 2 are real counters, the rest are desks) plus an info counter. Counter 1 is for "In the case of tourists, Re-entry". Oddly, there was no queue outside for this category. If you are judged to be in this category you will get a number "0xx".

Counter 2 corresponds to Queue 501 outside. It is for 90-day reporting. In this category you will get a number in the range "5xx".

Counters 3 and 4 correspond to Queue 401 outside. In this category you will get a "4xx" number.

Counters 5 and 6 service Queue 201 outside. This gets you a "2xx" number.

Counter 7 corresponds to Queue 301 outside. "3xx" numbers.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very comprehensive and accurate report based on my recent experience at the same office. It does get interesting when it rains.

I'm curious, Selinge2, do they still have a hidden stash of plastic chairs behind the main building? Someone discovered that when I did the same chair-sit wait drill about three weeks ago and about 60 people were fortunate enough to have chairs. Maybe they were just on-site for a special function or something, like an office party.

Edited by NancyL

Yeah, everyone early has to got to go and rustle up chairs from behind the building.

At around 06:45 there is a commotion when all the professional visa agency people, a substantial number, suddenly stand up and en masse return their chairs back behind the building prior to the officials coming outside.

That is why i think it is well worth the agency fee. I did this myself for 4 years and each year it got worse.

In my opinion it is money well spent ,i value my time .

Just think of the added congestion if we did not have the agency's to relieve the amount of people that would have to attend every day.

That is why i think it is well worth the agency fee. I did this myself for 4 years and each year it got worse.

Just think of the added congestion if we did not have the agency's to relieve the amount of people that would have to attend every day.

All of which can be overcome by using a bit of initiative and getting an on line appointment.My 90 day report, by mail, was a 4 day turn around this week.Posted Monday received today.

I

All of which can be overcome by using a bit of initiative and getting an on line appointment.My 90 day report, by mail, was a 4 day turn around this week.Posted Monday received today.

But sadly a Retirement Visa Extension can not be done by mail or at a 7-11 as has been mooted... coffee1.gif

Edited by sfokevin

If you want to extend a retirement visa, get in line 201 (you want a 2xx number). If you are speaking of some sort of other extension you must be more specific. I think (I do not know) that by 08:00 your chances may be hit or miss. Today seemed to be a slow day at Immigration.

Parking lot queue 201 is for retirement extensions and queue 401 is for marriage extensions, although you'd really have to work very hard to figure it out from the wording on their signs. If you read the OP, you'll see the words "retirement" and "family member of Thailand" buried in the description for those queues.

I just got mine, and am so happy I finally got it done. Lots of questions about residence (Forgot the copy of Property Owners' ID Card), none about income (I had everything nailed on that).

Was told that I could not do it 45 days before my expiration date of my 90 day O. Came back at 30 days. That was kind of bad info..or I may have misread a thread dealing with this.

Can you do a mail-in for your 90 day reporting.....when the first report is due?

If I leave thailand for a week at 89 days, with a reentry permit, does that mean I don't have to report until 90 days after returning? (effectively skipping the first reporting, as I would be out of country)

Mail in reporting in pinned topic. When you leave and reenter Thailand your 90 day reporting clock starts over with the day of entry counting as day 1.

Just re-read your first sentence and if you are asking can you mail in your first 90 day report then no as you need the receipt from previous 90 day reporting attached to the mail-in package.

Can you do a mail-in for your 90 day reporting.....when the first report is due?

If I leave thailand for a week at 89 days, with a reentry permit, does that mean I don't have to report until 90 days after returning? (effectively skipping the first reporting, as I would be out of country)

if you are asking can you mail in your first 90 day report then no as you need the receipt from previous 90 day reporting attached to the mail-in package.

Okaaaaaay. Just clarifying. That seems to help...and it didn't hurt me a bit to ask ~thumbsup.gif

Edited by slipperylobster

Why do you have to get there so early? In the ten years that I have been obtaining my extension of stay (retirement) I have never had to attend an immigration office at such an ungodly hour. I have done extensions at Nakhom Pathom, Wattana and the last two at Udon Thani and have always arrived around 10.00am. I have even attended on a Monday or a Friday and always, everything is completed on the day of my attendance.

The longest wait was at Wattana, about 3 hours, including their lunch break, whilst at the other offices about an hour and a half, maximum. During my attendance the only time they required my passport was to stamp it after which they returned it to me. Have never been required to wait the whole day for it to be returned nor have I been required to come back the next day. Is the Chiang Mai office really that busy?

Udon Thani, where I now attend, is fully computerised and as you enter there is a desk where an Officer photographs you, enters the necessary details on computer, allocates a number, after which you take a seat and wait your turn. There are four officers in the next section, all with computer access, and the process is so smooth that you are in and out within a very short period of time. That is provided you have all the necessary documentation and nothing crops up that will delay the process.

Even though I am able to converse with them in the Thai language, I always present with my wife, she has her little talk with them, as most Thai ladies deem necessary, and the whole process proceeds in a fast, pleasant and courteous manner. I have never experienced any of the difficulties others seem to have on their visits and at no time has any officer sought a stipend over the required fees, nor have I offered and on every occasion the whole process has been conducted with the utmost professionalism by the officers concerned. It is actually a pleasant experience at this office.

Edited by Si Thea01

I just did a first 90 day report by mail to Chiang Mai Immigration, posted in 15 days before due date, receipt/acknowledgement took three weeks to arrive back at my home, maybe they don't post until due date, but it worked fine without any receipt from last 90 day report, as this was my first one. So I expect they don't need you to mail in a receipt you don't have!

Why do you have to get there so early? In the ten years that I have been obtaining my extension of stay (retirement) I have never had to attend an immigration office at such an ungodly hour. I have done extensions at Nakhom Pathom, Wattana and the last two at Udon Thani and have always arrived around 10.00am. I have even attended on a Monday or a Friday and always, everything is completed on the day of my attendance.

The longest wait was at Wattana, about 3 hours, including their lunch break, whilst at the other offices about an hour and a half, maximum. During my attendance the only time they required my passport was to stamp it after which they returned it to me. Have never been required to wait the whole day for it to be returned nor have I been required to come back the next day. Is the Chiang Mai office really that busy?

Udon Thani, where I now attend, is fully computerised and as you enter there is a desk where an Officer photographs you, enters the necessary details on computer, allocates a number, after which you take a seat and wait your turn. There are four officers in the next section,, all with computer access, and the process is so smooth that you are in and out within a very short period of time. That is provided you have all the necessary documentation and nothing crops up that will delay the process.

Even though I am able to converse with them in the Thai language, I always present with my wife, she has her little talk with them, as most Thai ladies deem necessary, and the whole process proceeds in a fast, pleasant and courteous manner. I have never experienced any of the difficulties others seem to have on their visits and at not time have I ever been asked nor has any officer sought a stipend over the required fees, nor have I offered and on every occasion the whole process has been conducted with the utmost professionalism by the officers concerned. It is actually a pleasant experience at this office.

It is a special attraction of Chiang Mai. It is known as get out and see the sun rise. They like the idea of people seing the sun rise over DoiSuthep and glint on the pagoda there they offer it free with your visa attendances.

(Of course some of those in Chiang Mai just get there early as they are on the way home from an early night in.

Edited by harrry

Agreed. Chiang Mai is a nightmare. At least the two times I went there. Not quite the pleasant ride that the OP enjoyed. Overcrowded and noisy....extremely confusing. Overworked staffed (I actually cried for them). It was not good.

Udon is like you woke up to a brand new way of life. Pleasant, efficient and uncrowded.

I suppose it is because of the higher quality of farangs there. They are mostly retirees..older and established.

Chiang Mai is pretty much a "mixed" bag. More screening, and more ...ahem... (quality tourists?)

That must be why.........only thing I can come up with. Chiang Mai "should" be able to invest more on their immigration facilities...but I suppose, too many things going on at once... No time to upgrade?

If you want to extend a retirement visa, get in line 201 (you want a 2xx number). If you are speaking of some sort of other extension you must be more specific. I think (I do not know) that by 08:00 your chances may be hit or miss. Today seemed to be a slow day at Immigration.

If you get there at 08.00 am for a retirement extension you'll be given a number and asked to return in the afternoon after lunch, around 13.00.

I did it a couple of times already and it worked just fine, got out at around 15.30 pm.... I hate get out of bed at 04.00 am :)

I just did a first 90 day report by mail to Chiang Mai Immigration, posted in 15 days before due date, receipt/acknowledgement took three weeks to arrive back at my home, maybe they don't post until due date, but it worked fine without any receipt from last 90 day report, as this was my first one. So I expect they don't need you to mail in a receipt you don't have!

Okay. That is very interesting.

It is quite contrary to what I was just told about the first reporting. (Needing the first reporting to be in person, and thus not being able to mail it in until the second 90 days).

Thank you for clarifying......as there is some confusion on this, evidently.

The OP may be interested in mailing in his first reporting....as I am. I do feel it is relevant....as the whole process involves not only the obtaining of the extension....but how and when you can do your first reporting. Planning.

Edited by slipperylobster

It's a lot easier at Chonburi immigration, you just show up before 12 and normally walk out before 2 pm.

Can somebody who lives in Chiang Mai do the retirement extension in Chonburi? Or elswhere? For any reason (on holiday away from Chiang Mai, for example). ?

I figured it must be done where you live

This at least part of the reason for such delays at CM Imm:

Citylife: What is your biggest challenge in this job?
Pol. Col. Prachak: The lack of support from those in charge in Bangkok. Something as simple as staffing; our budget allows for 66 staff, we currently have only 52. The problem is that the hiring comes out of Bangkok and is a long process involving sitting exams, interviews and screenings. Bangkok doesn’t seem to be making any effort to hire the extra 14 staff we so desperately need here. I wish I could just put an ad in the papers and get some people in but they are appointed to me and I have no control. They need to transfer people from elsewhere and they are not doing it.
In two years we are going to be flooded when ASEAN finally opens its borders. Our facilities are inadequate, as are our personnel. It is going to be a mess.
As posted previously on another thread - forget which one http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=3724

In the 7+ years of dealing with CM Imm, I've only had 1 time that was a pain in the ass, and that was on my 1st Marriage Extension. The following year I switched to Retirement. For my last one, I was in the process of basically just recovering from a stroke, so not in the best of health. The people there know me, and told me to go sit outside, then they came out to me to get my papers, etc, took everything back in, and 10 min later were helping me to my car.

One of the problems is lack of staff and facilities, and the ever increasing number of people now using the services there. In the past, I've walked in at 9:00 for Extension, and been out by 11. Not happening now, though. But people who "complain" should look at the situation. The same number of staff who used to handle things for 200 people are now having to handle 500. And they still do it with a smile and friendly attitude. My hat is off to them.