Myanmar Permanent Residency System for Foreigners in December

So does anyone think Thailand will do the same? Wouldn't it be Great if you didn't have to check in every 90 days, I mean Really we want to live here, but you just make us jump though the hoops every time, not many other countries treat expats like that. When will they catch up with the 21st century?

Thailand is a different country from myanmar and has seperate laws. So no I doubt it.

Regardless, the fact that a 3rd world country with poor roads and even poorer electricity service now offers permanent residence is meaningless if your desire is to live in a different country that does not..

So does anyone think Thailand will do the same? Wouldn't it be Great if you didn't have to check in every 90 days, I mean Really we want to live here, but you just make us jump though the hoops every time, not many other countries treat expats like that. When will they catch up with the 21st century?

Thailand already has Permanent Residency - applications are taken by the Immigration Bureau each year in the last week of December. In very simplistic terms, it requires 3 consecutive years of extensions of stay, evidence of the payment of income tax (preferably on a salary of >= 80,000 baht/month) and basic Thai speaking/listening/reading skills. Application fee is THB 7,600 and if granted, there is a fee of THB 191,400 for the residence certificate (THB 95,700 if married to a Thai or someone who already has PR).

• Thanks 1

How can you call a 5 year visa for permanent residency? I do not know if I should laugh or cry.cheesy.gifcrazy.gif

Can't see an issue with this unless you're just being really pedantic.

Most countries that offer a PR system have a limit on validity subject to meeting renewal requirements etc.

Nothing wrong with this announcement...

• Like 2

No doubt the host will plug into the 21st Century as soon as their guests do. My relationship has been 21st Century like,since the 20th Century. 90 days, buy a stamp.

Wow...this could be a game changer...cause other SE Asian countries to rethink their punitive immigration laws...Thailand would benefit immensely by immigration reform to reward retirees in this country with less hassle and longer stays...

Consider it a race.

Some SEA countries like Burma didn't even start when Thailand was out of the gate with a running start and shifting nicely up to third gear and 3500 RPM.

Then all of a sudden...

Just when some backward countries a crawling forward, Thailand decides to pull a cunning stunt to throw everyone off.

Ever so slowly and carefully the Thai drivers, skilfully manoeuvre the gearbox into reverse.

And now at cruising speed, they are gently releasing the clutch.

So does this mean I can work as a digital nomad from Myanmar ?

Short, non time wasting answer - no.

Do some research on this. There will be a lengthy application process and a lot of criteria to satisfy before they will consider you for PR.

Surely you don't expect to simply get off the plane with your laptop one day, smile nicely, and stay for 5 years?

I live in Myanmar. Wait till the rules come out before getting excited.

We have to report and get an Foreigners registration certificate and cannot stay in private houses without permission on a business visa. I have a farm and cant stay there without permission and applying. So you have more freedom in Thailand and rents are cheaper and condos etc. Oh yes and our hospitals are pretty bad and electricity and internet and on it goes.

The main reason is to bring home Myanmar people who have lost Myanmar citizenship as they fled and moved to other countries and took up foreign citizenships.

Second is to allow teaching professionals to come and improve the education system.

So wait till you see the rules first this is not what you think it is. They want the people who can help the country develop and bring back the educated and experienced who left over last 50 years.

Good post, it amazes me some of the claptrap spoken on here.I thought this forum had inteligent people, maybe you are the only one lol

• Like 1

Vietnam allowing falang to buy property, Myanmar 5 yr visa, what is Thailand going to offer?

One can own property in Thailand, buy house in company name, multi 0 visa, stay 15 month, renew, marriage visa, retirement visa, visa if one has thai/non thai infant etc etc

Just to be clear ... 'one' if a non-Thai cannot own the land in Thailand. Sure, 'one' can own the structure on the land, or a Thai registered company can own the land.

Vietnam allowing falang to buy property, Myanmar 5 yr visa, what is Thailand going to offer?

One can own property in Thailand, buy house in company name, multi 0 visa, stay 15 month, renew, marriage visa, retirement visa, visa if one has thai/non thai infant etc etc

Just to be clear ... 'one' if a non-Thai cannot own the land in Thailand. Sure, 'one' can own the structure on the land, or a Thai registered company can own the land.

And additional that Thai registered company is not allowed to be registered for the sole purpose of owning land, so that weeds out the majority of foreigners who don't run a business in Thailand.