Thai South: Many paid off in fuel scam

webfact

This has to have been happening for quite some time but only now is being exposed which suggests involvement, collusion, protection etc at many levels, especially the higher ones, and it's not just something that has suddenly started.

My question is: How did this whole thing blow up? Who blew the whistle and who withdrew protection ?

I suspect a lot of the random "insurgency" shootings weren't so random. Nor about any insurgency.

More about criminal enterprises either protecting their activities, silencing witnesses, or diverting attention.

For a moment there I thought I had read.....

Many paid off in Koh Tao Murder Scam

THE NATION

Wishful thinking I guess.

It is not for the content of your post

but for keeping it in memory

Koh Tao Murder should be in the public memory until it is properly solved and the perps and their connections are found beyond reasonable doubt and got their deserved punishment and it is made sure that they really serve their prison time

(sorry, OT but important)

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My big question is who is the end customer of this oil? Was it refined and sold as gasoline in gas stations? And are there any of the big name oil companies invovled?!

First, it's not "oil" but a product made from oil that is referred to in the article as "petrol" - a fuel (gasoline or diesel) for either trucks or cars - distributed the petrol to service stations. The end user is the public. who pays market price. it is the station and the distributors who profit. It is cheaper to ship oil than petrol; therefore, I'd expect the bootleg petrol comes from refineries within the Asian area, ie., Indonesia, Malaysia, etc. and not from the Middle East, Africa, or Europe. Given the plausible case for "local" criminal enterprises, and inconsistent vertical intergration of oil companies from underground to gas tank, I doubt any of the "big name oil companies" are involved.

Given the retail cost of unleaded gasoline in Malaysia is about $0.68 per liter, and the cost in Thailand is about $1.28 per liter, there is quite a bit to be made by smuggling across the border.

Even more to be made if the fuel is acquired at $0.00 per liter... i.e. stolen.

http://www.mytravelcost.com/Thailand/gas-prices/

http://www.mytravelcost.com/Malaysia/gas-prices/

(I make no judgment about the accuracy of the linked site, but it seems in line with other resources)