Sliding gate track

Our house has the typical metal gate on wheels running on a metal track

The problem is for about 5cm in the middle its starting to rust and erode

Anybody know if that can be repaired or a whole new track needed

Thought I would try and check before visiting local shops

Cheers

Even if a whole track is needed not that big of deal - but if one section is bad they can weld a new piece. Most are just an angle iron with rod welded along the top and set in the cement. A bad section can be cut out and replaced by anyone that can weld. Most gate shops make their own and can repair them easy enough.

• Like 1

we got a sliding gate arrangement on our shop house garage (we also own the adjacent properties) and the corrosion can be a problem when you expose bare metal to atmosphere from the continual rubbing from the gate assembly...

grind down to get rid of any pitting and then coat with something substantial, try to find a suitable industrial grade coating somewhere, not house paint...touch up if the bare metal appears again... you can repeat the process indefinitely as required...better than digging up the concrete and welding a new piece...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I replaced mine with stainless steel. While cheap stainless will still rust, the process is slow

"Expensive " stainless will also rust if its not used correctly, and actually in certain conditions ie free iron contamination stainless steel will rust quicker than carbon steel ;)