Thai traditional liquor 'ya dong' fatal in cold snap, official warns

webfact

But usually it seem to be made from the same stuff every time, serves with some bpai tey water (or padan leaf or whatever they are called in english) and some mango on the side

Ya Dong is made of the same Ruang Khao distilled from molasses as the one sold at Tesco Lotus for 85 Baht per 0.64 liter bottle with alcohol by volume 40%.

Snake Ya Dong mostly comes from Laos and China I believe...

It's amazing that someone would dare to drink this cocktail! drunk.gif

attachicon.gifSnake Wine 1.jpg

This proves again that Tesco sells anything to make a buck, even stuff like this, and horse meat from Romania, that haven't been FDA approved. Then there's the cheating with the content they were busted for a couple of years ago together with Big C, in a shady deal with Unilever.

• Like 1

There is some truth in what these boffins are saying but certainly not to the extent they are making out. Alcohol at a certain level causes the blood vessels including all the capillaries to dilate. So the body radiates more heat. ie loses heat to the environment. On a cold day with some persons this could be dangerous.

My favorite winter stipple is a cup of hot Bonox with a nip or two of Captain Morgans Rum. In Australia its called a "Mum and Dad". Really warms the O'l cockles.

Try any dark rum, 50/50 with Stones Green Ginger Wine. That'll warm ya! Great in the duck hide. You forget about duck shooting.

“When you drink, it dilates the peripheral blood vessels near your skin, which means more blood – and heat – flows to these vessels,” says Professor Colin Drummond, head of the Section of Alcohol Research at King’s College London. “That takes blood and heat away from the core of your body. So while it feels like you’re warm because your skin is warm, your vital organs aren’t as warm as you might think they are.

“If you then go out in the cold after drinking, because you’ve got a lot of heat on the periphery of your body, you can lose heat very easily and quickly. And that can be dangerous.”

source: www.drinkaware.co.uk

• Like 1

Nonsense. The homeless use booze all over the world, in brutally cold and harsh environments, and no one dies from it. They say they drink it to stay warm.

Where do the people who make these statements go to school?

The question is, "Where did you go to school? Any idiot knows alcohol dialates blood vessels, brings blood to the surface and skin, away from the internal organs, causing hyerthermia. At the same time it gives one the feeling false of being warm, impedes judgement and causes drowsiness. Falling asleep out side, especially at night is how you die in cold weather. Thousands upon thousands die EXACTLY like that every year.

Tokay you are ill-informed and ignorant of physiological fact. Unlike many of the comments in this forum your comments are NOT harmless. Do a Google on the subject you may learn something.

"your comments are NOT harmless"

So how are his comments dangerous?? He's saying that the problem is that people drink alcohol, misperceive that they are warmer, become drowsy, fall asleep outside, then die of hypothermia. If his comments were dangerous, they would be encouraging people to do something risky. He's perhaps encouraging people not to assume alcohol will keep them warm and not to sleep outside. So where is the harm exactly?

I remember laying on my concrete driveway under my car in a t-shirt replacing mufflers after if warmed up to 33F. I wasn't drinking Ya Dong though.

I have worked in Alaska, and have been in 60 below zero fahrenheit. Always amusing

to see Thais bundled up and talking about a cold snap at 30 degrees...... :-)

Nonsense. The homeless use booze all over the world, in brutally cold and harsh environments, and no one dies from it. They say they drink it to stay warm.

The question is, "Where did you go to school? Any idiot knows alcohol dialates blood vessels, brings blood to the surface and skin, away from the internal organs, causing hyerthermia. At the same time it gives one the feeling false of being warm, impedes judgement and causes drowsiness. Falling asleep out side, especially at night is how you die in cold weather. Thousands upon thousands die EXACTLY like that every year.

Tokay you are ill-informed and ignorant of physiological fact. Unlike many of the comments in this forum your comments are NOT harmless. Do a Google on the subject you may learn something.

"your comments are NOT harmless"

So how are his comments dangerous?? He's saying that the problem is that people drink alcohol, misperceive that they are warmer, become drowsy, fall asleep outside, then die of hypothermia. If his comments were dangerous, they would be encouraging people to do something risky. He's perhaps encouraging people not to assume alcohol will keep them warm and not to sleep outside. So where is the harm exactly?

You are reading the wrong thread! He is saying that Tokay is wrong to believe "The homeless use booze all over the world, in brutally cold and harsh environments, and no one dies from it"

The question is, "Where did you go to school? Any idiot knows alcohol dialates blood vessels, brings blood to the surface and skin, away from the internal organs, causing hyerthermia. At the same time it gives one the feeling false of being warm, impedes judgement and causedrowsiness. Falling asleep out side, especially at night is how you die in cold weather. Thousands upon thousands die EXACTLY like that every year.

Thousands upon thousands die from falling asleep outside in the cold, assume that fact can be substantiated.

Hmmmm..........Maybe a hot toddy would be the order of the day instead.

I'm surprised Russians drinking vodka in the Siberian wastelands aren't dropping like flies if this piece of "medical science" is even remotely close to the truth.

Well all the other shit freezes within 30 min, speak from experience, however the Urals not Siberia. Same same, but not same biggrin.png

I have worked in Alaska, and have been in 60 below zero fahrenheit. Always amusing

And always amusing to see Scandinavians sweating their tits off when it's 20 degrees celcius. It's called acclimatization mate: My body's used to heat now: When I go home and its 20 I feel very cold, because it's a 35% drop in temperature.

There is some truth in what these boffins are saying but certainly not to the extent they are making out. Alcohol at a certain level causes the blood vessels including all the capillaries to dilate. So the body radiates more heat. ie loses heat to the environment. On a cold day with some persons this could be dangerous.

My favorite winter stipple is a cup of hot Bonox with a nip or two of Captain Morgans Rum. In Australia its called a "Mum and Dad". Really warms the O'l cockles.

Try any dark rum, 50/50 with Stones Green Ginger Wine. That'll warm ya! Great in the duck hide. You forget about duck shooting.

Im sure the ducks are grateful

People should decide for themselves if they want to die from cold while feeling cold, or, after a few drinks, die from cold while feeling warm and drowsy. I'd prefer the latter.

Or maybe not die at all cause its not that damn cold, if you choose not to sleep outside

Im sure the ducks are grateful

Ducks, what f****** ducks, where did the ducks come from. Occasionally pick elephants, but no ducks.

In the worst case, she said, drinking ya dong in a particularly cold day can even cause deaths. "There are many fatalities and illnesses related to spirits drinking in the winter each year," he said.

It's only helpful, when delivered by a Bernhardiner and there has to be snow and ice all around you. Oh, almost forgot that these villages do have ice...

post-158336-0-87501200-1417340555_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

And always amusing to see Scandinavians sweating their tits off when it's 20 degrees celcius. It's called acclimatization mate: My body's used to heat now: When I go home and its 20 I feel very cold, because it's a 35% drop in temperature.

I'm glad that you don't teach mathematics.....

"The official added that ya dong is even more hazardous than other types of alcohol because it features venomous creatures such as vipers, centipedes, and scorpions.

"Drinkers may catch virus or venom from these animals," Thada said."

Now let's see what the TAT can do with this example of Thainess - maybe a nice little video....