Laos urges Thailand to speed up border demarcation

webfact

Laos urges Thailand to speed up border demarcation
By Digital Content

14171597459806-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 28 -- The Lao government has urged Thailand to quickly complete demarcation of the border between the two neighbouring countries, and to also help maintain peace along the Mekong River, said Deputy Prime Minister/Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan on Friday.

Gen Prawit told journalists after co-chairing the 21st meeting of Thai-Lao General Border Committee with Lao Defence Minister Lt Gen Sengnuan Saiyalath at a hotel in Bangkok that the Lao side had asked Thailand to urgently accelerate the border demarcation process.

The committee also discussed joint drug suppression during the meeting.

Laos agreed to a proposal made earlier by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha to make Nong Khai province, opposite the Lao capital of Vientiane, a special economic zone due to its large trade volume while the border province also offers convenience for communication, said Gen Prawit.

The border committee also discussed a plan to hold a Regional Border Committee meeting at military region level, aimed at strengthening relations between the two countries, he added. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-11-28

Speaking of Thai/ Laos border, does anyone know how Laos managed to aquire such a large piece of land on the Thai side of the Maekong? I think the Maekong would be the natural border.

It goes back to the French 'Indochina' days I believe - Thailand ceding ground to ward off the would-be colonisers. I recall reading about it somewhere - perhaps the TV 'history' section. Also read somewhere that Siem Reap in Cambo was part of Thailand in the early 19th century.

Thailand took the opportunity in WWII to take territory back, but given they chose the wrong side in the war they were made to give it all back post-war.

• Like 1

Speaking of Thai/ Laos border, does anyone know how Laos managed to aquire such a large piece of land on the Thai side of the Maekong? I think the Maekong would be the natural border.

Also, until the Mekong has more planned dams on it, the main stream (natural border) continues to move in places. New sand banks appear that can become islands and later merge with the mainland of either side when the course changes again. Land which was once Thai can become Lao and vice versa.