American arrested for sex crimes here and in the US

Lite Beer

American arrested for sex crimes here and in the US
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Police have arrested an American man for sex crimes allegedly committed in the United States and Thailand.

Thomas Andrew Erickson, 47, who is also known as Andrew McLean or Barry Stewart, was nabbed in Samut Prakan while in possession of fake US and British passports.

Central Investigation Bureau acting chief Lt-General Prawut Thawornsiri announced Erickson's arrest yesterday. "On September 15, US authorities alerted us that an American had fled to Thailand to avoid arrest related to sexual and physical assaults," Prawut said.

After learning that the US has already revoked Erickson's passport, police also learned that a jewellery shop assistant in Bangkok's Bang Rak district had lodged a complaint against Erickson in early 2011 over an alleged rape and attack that left her seriously injured.

Prawut said that after having a brush with the law here, Erickson had used a fake British passport to secure a teaching job at a famous school in Nakhon Si Thammarat.

"He later moved to the Rangsit area and then Prawet area, doing a brief stint as an English-language teacher," the senior officer said. "He also worked as a freelancer for a media firm via an Internet-based contact".

Prawut said Erickson opened a language school behind Khon Kaen University. "Based on our inquiries, he assaulted many victims in Thailand," he said. "Some victims were lecturers at famous private and state universities. These victims came to him as they wanted to improve their English skills. After the assaults, they did not lodge complaints because they felt humiliated."

He said Erickson had bipolar disorder.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/American-arrested-for-sex-crimes-here-and-in-the-U-30248797.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-29

• Like 2

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since not all English teachers in Thailand are sexual perverts, than it must be that all the sexual

perverts in Thailand are teachers, or somehow connected and in close proximity to young

adults and children.. and Thailand is haven for such possibilities as no farang is ever vetted

for his/her criminal past...

• Like 2

The fact that he has a bipolar disorder is not relevant to his actions and does nothing more than further stigmatise a relativaly common mental diorder. He knew right from wrong and is nothing more than a "bad lot" who, if found guilty, should be punished to the full extent of the law.

Unfortunately, with Bi Polar disorder, it is quite possible that in a state of mania with Psychosis that a person could become very sexually disinhibited. I am not in know way suggesting this is relevant in the case here, just that it could be possible. There are for a number of differing presentations of Bi Polar, so it is not the easiest disorder to describe. If he wasn't unwell at the time, then he should be punished to the full extent.

However it does appear this guy has a long history of this, so really should be either in jail or a secure treatment facility.

Edited by mrtoad

Since not all English teachers in Thailand are sexual perverts, than it must be that all the sexual

perverts in Thailand are teachers, or somehow connected and in close proximity to young

adults and children.. and Thailand is haven for such possibilities as no farang is ever vetted

As "teaching" is one of the few occupations available and it gets these types close to their potential victims you are probably right.

I know that I had to submit a police clearance for my teaching position. However friends who have been here for years have not been required to. Also there are LOTS of people teaching without degrees ( I have met 5 in the last month - all got work through agencies) - they will also not be vetted.

So on the vetting - yes and no.

Thailand is like a magnet for the trash of the World,the more they

catch the better,a few years in a Thai prison is what they need,then

deport them to their home countries.

regards Worgeordie

Why's that do you think? Couldn't be anything to do with massive bribe taking, lack of law enforcement and rampant prostitution could it? huh.png

This country deserves the trash it gets.

• Like 1

If any one wanted an example of opening the mouth, or in this case typing, before engaging the brain, look no further than this little gem

Your inability to read > think >type, leaves me to wonder just how much contact you have had with teachers, at this or any time in your life

Without thinking, or any factual evidence, you have placed every teacher under suspicion with your twisted piece of logic i.e "all sexual perverts are teachers or somehow connected and in close proximity to young adults and children"

While it would be difficult to carry out sexual abuse without being in close proximity to the victim, I also have to ask......What the hell are you on? Some of his victims were teachers. Please excuse me but I am unaware of all that many adolescent lecturers, in this country or any other.

Further evidence, if any were needed, that you haven't got a clue about the subject is your claim that no farang is ever vetted.

However you may wish to dress this up, it is no more that unadulterated "teacher bashing"

He is close to correct. If you are a sexual predator in Thailand, you will want to be close to your victims. Therefore, you would probably want to be a teacher. I know this guy was attacking adults but that does not nullify ezzra's logic. It is basic selection bias; we select into the environment that best meets our needs. It is not that teachers are predators but predators are likely teachers.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A police background check, from your home country, is required before you can legally teach in Thailand.

The fact that he has a bipolar disorder is not relevant to his actions and does nothing more than further stigmatise a relativaly common mental diorder. He knew right from wrong and is nothing more than a "bad lot" who, if found guilty, should be punished to the full extent of the law.

So the judge has spoken, or is he still goint to court?

What Is Bipolar Disorder?

Bipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in mood, energy, activity levels, and the ability to carry out day-to-day tasks. Symptoms of bipolar disorder are severe. They are different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through from time to time. Bipolar disorder symptoms can result in damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and even suicide. But bipolar disorder can be treated, and people with this illness can lead full and productive lives.

Reference: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/bipolar-disorder/index.shtml

• Like 1

Bipolar disorder.

Bet he never forgot to pick up his pay cheques!

This excuse is getting more popular over the years for perps to try and get out of trouble.

It's an insult to the true sufferers.

Are you confusing bi-polar with amnesia?

So the judge has spoken, or is he still goint to court?

Think you should re-read my post "if found guilty........"

well well... My wife and I just removed our son from a school here in Nakon pathom because the owner and full time teacher at the school was recently caught in a lie hidding the fact that he was convicted of a brutal rape back in america and released in 2004. He served a 10 yr prison term to be be released early (3 years) on condition that he return back to Thailand not to return to the USA. He came to Thailand and started a career teaching English as he doesn't speak Thai that well. Then he was let go of his last job because the school found out that he had this criminal record. he then started his own school with his wife. According to the police and Thai school board it was perfectly ok because after all he is Thai and the offence happened in america not Thailand..... At least that was there way of thinking.... Back in America he is not allowed within 1000 ft of a school but here... living the life. We gave them the opportunity to go before the entire school (moms and dads) and tell them the story but they did not and kept it a secret instead... unfortunately without the support of others to make this known even though we had the paperwork from the USA we just let it go as we don't have time for that kind of stress.

Speaking directly to the head of the school board here in Nakon pathom, said if you knew about this or our ok about this and if something happens going forward then you are directly responsible... she just looked at me, shrugged it off without a care.

well well... My wife and I just removed our son from a school here in Nakon pathom because the owner and full time teacher at the school was recently caught in a lie hidding the fact that he was convicted of a brutal rape back in america and released in 2004. He served a 10 yr prison term to be be released early (3 years) on condition that he return back to Thailand not to return to the USA. He came to Thailand and started a career teaching English as he doesn't speak Thai that well. Then he was let go of his last job because the school found out that he had this criminal record. he then started his own school with his wife. According to the police and Thai school board it was perfectly ok because after all he is Thai and the offence happened in america not Thailand..... At least that was there way of thinking.... Back in America he is not allowed within 1000 ft of a school but here... living the life. We gave them the opportunity to go before the entire school (moms and dads) and tell them the story but they did not and kept it a secret instead... unfortunately without the support of others to make this known even though we had the paperwork from the USA we just let it go as we don't have time for that kind of stress.

And you presume to take the moral high ground in the same breath as not having the "...time for that kind of stress"?

Let's hope nothing bad happens because of your lack of "time".

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What needs to be done is for both Thai and expat teachers to be police cleared from their respective place of origin and a working with children permit issued, no certificate no work.

• Like 1

Thailand is like a magnet for the trash of the World,the more they

catch the better,a few years in a Thai prison is what they need,then

deport them to their home countries.

regards Worgeordie

Why's that do you think? Couldn't be anything to do with massive bribe taking, lack of law enforcement and rampant prostitution could it? huh.png

This country deserves the trash it gets.

Yes of course, it's Thailand's fault for attracting the scum.

It's good to know that someone on the forum "get's it."

If you have a story like this and print it without an accompanying picture of the crook, then better not print it at all. Would be nice to see whom I have to kick in the face when I see him...

Best would be to get rid of such animals right away by lethal injection. I don't care if they have bipolar disorder or "siamese quadrupeliacough" to show as an excuse. They are best of dead - for their own sake and those of the many innocent others.

There was a close-up photo along with the full story that I saw last evening - but I forget where. I thought it was Andrew Drummond, but I just checked and it wasn't there.

Must have been somewhere else... but it's out there.