Land department to prohibit Uber Taxi service saying it’s unsafe and overcharge customers

Lite Beer

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if any of you have used GrabTaxi yet? It's a bit like UBER but actually uses taxis AND the meter!

Avoids the hassle of the meter dodgers and, generally, the Yaba-laden <deleted> pulling a 20 hour shift.

I have used it a couple of times and have never had to wait longer than three minutes to get a taxi to Sukhumvit or even the airport from Pak Kret.

Costs about 30 Baht more on a long run.

App available in the Google Play store.

......and No, I don't have any economic interest in this beyond not wanting to get ripped off by these lazy bastages.

• Like 2

If it is popular with the end user then the most popular PM in the last decade should look at integrating it into society by allowing them to conform to the law.

I think it is a great idea.

With that said though it is refreshing to see the law actually being applied now and not ignored.

Nah won't work. The most popular PM in the last decade is in Dubai

what business is it of the government who I decide to ride in a car with?

Seriously f'd up taxi service is the reason Uber exists. Even some parts of the city no taxi will use a meter. Then when you try to get his taxi ID to make a complaint the driver will threaten you with violence.

The Land dept obviously are part of the taxi mafia monopoly scam.

As in most countries, the law says that to be a taxi you have to be registered as a taxi.

This model will go boom the first time someone has an accident and it turns out that the passenger isn't covered because the car is acting as a business vehicle.

You fail at every level, Uber insures its drivers. Think before you open your pie hole

Well that would be hard to achieve in a legal way since the car would need to have the correct permit and plate in thailand.

You are driving in a private car. You sure he has insurance. Go read how uber works. If the private driver has no minimal insurance, uber won't pay.

Why so aggressive anyway. This is a discussion, not an arguement.

http://m.laweekly.com/informer/2014/06/19/uber-lyft-riders-might-not-be-covered-by-insurance-industry-claims

The National Insurance Association says no. While firms such as Uber and Lyft say they maintain $1 million coverage in "excess insurance" per incident, the devil's in the details: The companies say the driver's own personal insurance is the coverage of first resort.

Now **** *** with your cheap insult and go and do some reading yourself.

and stop

Spouting your inaccuracies

The National Insurance Association says no. While firms such as Uber and Lyft say they maintain $1 million coverage in "excess insurance" per incident, the devil's in the details: The companies say the driver's own personal insurance is the coverage of first resort.

There's a sticky one, at least back in the States. Every auto insurance policy I've ever had spelled out an exclusion for racing and another exclusion for carrying people for hire.

I suspect it's difficult (if not impossible) to get auto insurance that covers carrying passengers for hire, without first having a legal permit to carry passengers for hire.

I also suspect the Uber's $1MM policy protects them in case they get sued for arranging the ride, but wouldn't be very helpful to someone in the hospital needing medical attention. It may take years to get a settlement.

Seriously f'd up taxi service is the reason Uber exists. Even some parts of the city no taxi will use a meter. Then when you try to get his taxi ID to make a complaint the driver will threaten you with violence.

It is amazing that some think that things that happen in other parts of the world are normal, but magically turn into conspiracies when in Thailand.

In most countries I know of if you do not have a taxi license you cannot drive a taxi. Simple. In Australia this is the case and there is no grand conspiracy between government agencies and the taxi mafia.

It aint hard to get your head around. If it is against the law then it is naughty. That means you should not be doing it.

It's amazing that some think that comments and complaints about issues in Thailand don't equally apply to other countries as well. Should we also state that?

Just because something is a law does not mean not following it is ethically wrong. Many times laws (yes including the taxi law and in every country that has it) are simply to protect a monopoly that the government approves who can do what (for a large fee of course).

I doubt anyone could explain the difference in principle from me driving a friend somewhere in my car, and a taxi doing the same for a fee. According the taxi law I would be breaking the law.

It is amazing that some think that things that happen in other parts of the world are normal, but magically turn into conspiracies when in Thailand.

In most countries I know of if you do not have a taxi license you cannot drive a taxi. Simple. In Australia this is the case and there is no grand conspiracy between government agencies and the taxi mafia.

It aint hard to get your head around. If it is against the law then it is naughty. That means you should not be doing it.

It's amazing that some think that comments and complaints about issues in Thailand don't equally apply to other countries as well. Should we also state that?

Just because something is a law does not mean not following it is ethically wrong. Many times laws (yes including the taxi law and in every country that has it) are simply to protect a monopoly that the government approves who can do what (for a large fee of course).

I doubt anyone could explain the difference in principle from me driving a friend somewhere in my car, and a taxi doing the same for a fee. According the taxi law I would be breaking the law.

" from me driving a friend somewhere in my car, and a taxi doing the same for a fee. According the taxi law I would be breaking the law. "

You are taking a friend for no charge. Not taking a complete stranger who happens to call your telephone number for a paid ride... totally different scenario!

a foreign business with a superior service. obviously the Thai authorities would find any technicality to say its illegal. but with the weak justice system, let Thailand "enforce" its decision with their midget government.

Not exactly a "technicality " running an unlicensed taxi service. They should have requested help from the relevant department rather than just barging in!

a foreign business with a superior service. obviously the Thai authorities would find any technicality to say its illegal. but with the weak justice system, let Thailand "enforce" its decision with their midget government.

The Australian authorities found the "technicality" that private people can't offer paid taxi services.

10 cops, each hailing rides via Uber could easily put a pretty big dent in all the enthusiasm when they arrest the unregistered drivers who show up, and confiscate their vehicles.

I'll bet it wouldn't go past the first day before word got out and nobody answered an Uber hail.

Why on earth do people insist on using something so obviously illegal ? Private cars are not registered for taxi work, do not have taxi insurance, are not approved by the local authority, etc, etc. Oz had the right idea -- I believe they stopped it before it starts

Is there an IQ test you need to fail to get a job in a department like this?

This is simply an attempt by a corrupt monopoly to protect itself from competition using "connections".

Your second sentence seems to sum up the approach of many business segments here.

Thailand taxis are the worst in the world. For most visitors to the "Land of Smiles" the first Thai they meet is their taxi driver, who promptly rips them off, and in doing so colors their impression of the rest of Thai society, which unfortunately is not a good representation of the people here. Outside of taxi drivers, police officers and politicians, most Thais are very kind and generous people. Too bad foreigners have contact with the first two groups in ways that all too often leave them with a horrible impression of the folks here.

As evil a company as Uber is, anything is better than dealing with the crooked taxi mafia. Too bad for this inane decision by the powers that be.

Thailand taxis are the worst in the world. For most visitors to the "Land of Smiles" the first Thai they meet is their taxi driver, who promptly rips them off, and in doing so colors their impression of the rest of Thai society, which unfortunately is not a good representation of the people here. Outside of taxi drivers, police officers and politicians, most Thais are very kind and generous people. Too bad foreigners have contact with the first two groups in ways that all too often leave them with a horrible impression of the folks here.

As evil a company as Uber is, anything is better than dealing with the crooked taxi mafia. Too bad for this inane decision by the powers that be.

Presumably you have visited a good selection of other countries - especially third world countries - and can substantiate your claim with fact ? ;) Please tell what your experiences have been elsewhere.

Personally I have never had any issue with taxis in Thailand. They just take me where I want to go and charge me by the meter. I usually say keep the change because I always go out armed with lots of 100 and 20 Baht notes. A lot of the guys are friendly and happy and tell me about their life and work. Just regular guys. There's been a few that don't talk much, but it's easy to see that they're just knackered so I leave them alone. I've been refused my destination a few times, but it's so easy to just say no problem and get the next cab.

Uber is using private cars without insurance, local authority permission, registration as taxi -- nothing -- and no recourse to any authority when things go wrong.

So why not allow Uber to operate alongside regular taxis and then everyone is happy. People like me can pay a little more to avoid extortion and the ridiculous practice of asking a taxi if they will take you here or there (to be refused a lot of the time) and people like you can stick with the taxis that ostensibly single you out as the one person they're going to treat courteously and according with the law.

I can't say I've used taxis in every country but at least 90 of them. And so far, my non-scientific survey based on personal experience yields the opinion that Thai taxis are the worst overall. Yes, some in South America will try to kidnap or rape passengers if you hail them off the street and there is no record of you as a passenger, but it happens in low percentages and everyone I knows calls them from a registered service anyways, because they actually show up and the wait is not too long.

Edited by srchino

If Uber registered the cars as taxis, got insurance for them and did all the legal things needed to operate a taxi service in Thailand this discussion would not be happening ;) More choice is always a good thing, but Uber did not afaict even approach Thai authorities about starting a taxi service in Thailand - they just did it and hoped to get away with it. Arrogant at best ....

They are still online and working the same as previously and I'll bet that they will continue to do so. I choose to take my chances with a possibly uninsured Uber driver in a nice new Camry than with a licensed registered Bangkok taxi driver every day and any day!

There are a lot of circles within circles here in Thailand and we really don't know what's going on regarding Uber from what we read in the paper. We don't know the deal they struck before they started and we don't know the negotiations that are happening now.

They are still online and working the same as previously and I'll bet that they will continue to do so. I choose to take my chances with a possibly uninsured Uber driver in a nice new Camry than with a licensed registered Bangkok taxi driver every day and any day!

There are a lot of circles within circles here in Thailand and we really don't know what's going on regarding Uber from what we read in the paper. We don't know the deal they struck before they started and we don't know the negotiations that are happening now.

They haven't stopped the app from being used. They have just said they will fine any person that is not licenced as a taxi driver.

So the drivers use the app at there own risk.

Must be the evil Thai Junta in .... Nevada?

Uber suspends Nevada service

Court injunction shutters Nevada Uber service one month after launch

Uber has shut down its service in Nevada barely a month after launching, following the issuing of a preliminary injunction preventing it from operating within the state. In a separate announcement, the company has also advised it has disciplined an executive following allegations he had tracked the location of a journalist using a corporate-level "God View" tool.

The injunction against Uber's Nevada operation was issued by Washoe County District Court Judge Scott Freeman, reports the Las Vegas Review Journal. The Nevada Taxicab Authority and the Nevada Transportation Authority have both attacked Uber, claiming the service was illegal because its drivers were unlicensed carriers, who must pass tests and have proof of insurance. Uber claims drivers are investigated, drive late-model cars, and are covered by a blanket insurance policy to abide by regulations, but officials claim these measures are insufficient.

After a period where both authorities impounded Uber vehicles and cited drivers, the Nevada Attorney General's office applied for injunctions in various counties. While Uber claimed it was a technology company rather than a transportation company, regulators pointed out that Uber operates similar to taxi cabs on face value.

In a blog post, Uber thanks customers in Nevada for using the service, and though admitting it was "temporarily suspending service" because of the court's decision, it was committed to the state. After noting that close to 1,000 jobs were lost because of the ruling, the company claims "Uber has met a real need of supporting access to more transportation options, bringing accessibility to previously underserved communities," before prompting readers to sign a petition to support efforts to try and convince state officials of its legality.