How to compare management/maintenance of Jomtien condo buildings?

wpcoe

I may be back in the condo market again (as a buyer) soon. I have my eye on a few buildings and want to stay in a certain area of Jomtien, but wonder how the management and maintenance of the various buildings compare.

I'm mindful of the country's defamation laws and this forum's strict policy to respect them, so it may be difficult to get negative comments about any building, but feel free to PM me with any questionably legal, but objective & factual, comments.

The most I've been able to find is online owners' forums for View Talay 2A/2B condos. I remember from several years ago both of them having "condo envy" for the VT1 buildings. i.e. They would have comments like "VT1 does this, why can't we?"

Do any other condo buildings post their meeting minutes and/or financial reports online? Are there other (semi?)public forums for other Jomtien condo buildings?

Amongst the buildings I'm considering are VT1A/B, Chateau Dale, VT2A/B, View Talay Residence 3/4, Grand Condotel and Jomtien Complex. I had previously included the Jomtien Plaza high-rise, but another thread here made reference to the financial state of the building which cooled my interest. That's the kind of info I'd like to hear about.

As you might tell, I favor the slightly older buildings (plus the VTRs) vs the newer ones like VT5C/D, VT7, etc.

Although I'm not interested in the area, I recall many glowing reports about the management and financial condition of Baan Suan Lalana on Soi Chiayapruek several years ago. Any comparable reports about buildings in my target area?

I'm really not interested in defending my choice of area or buildings, but am interested in being able to research them to make informed decisions about them.

It's simply not a matter of the annual maintenance dues which should be based on square meters. Looking just at the annual dues can be misleading as homeowners usually do not vote for increases to maintain the project. You should review and include the condition of the sinking funds, history of special assessments and possible future assessments. Vt1,vt2, Jomtien Plaza, Jomtien Complex have had recent remodeling projects. I have friends in both vt1 and VT2 and they are basically happy with their homeowners committees. The annual reports I have seen posted in the lobby and might be available at the juristic office. I would speak directly to a homeowner in each of the projects that interest you.

Amongst the buildings I'm considering are VT1A/B, Chateau Dale, VT2A/B, View Talay Residence 3/4, Grand Condotel and Jomtien Complex. I had previously included the Jomtien Plaza high-rise, but another thread here made reference to the financial state of the building which cooled my interest. That's the kind of info I'd like to hear about.

Chateau Dale? That may be a can of worms.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/774461-49-foreign-ownership/

(Without even thinking about Grande Caribbean next door and the loss of view and extra noise that will entail.)

@WaywardWind: Yeah, I'm pretty set on that locale. I currently live farther out in Jomtien and am tired of moto-sai taxis (which disappear at sunset) to connect with baht buses. The area I have now chosen is walkable to shopping, banks, restaurants, (legit) massage, etc, even Immigrations! I'm not interested in Pattaya city, either -- a little too hectic for my preference.

@ThaiBob: I've been on the board of a condo association and am familiar with the operation of a buliding. The comments about Jomtien Plaza just set off alarm bells for me. The annual reports for the VT buildings are online, too, and I've seen nothing disturbing in them, although the change in management companies for VT2A seems a bit curious, perhaps with a non-public back story?

@KittenKong: Oh, my! That's one condo complex off my white list. Thanks!

@WaywardWind: Yeah, I'm pretty set on that locale. I currently live farther out in Jomtien and am tired of moto-sai taxis (which disappear at sunset) to connect with baht buses. The area I have now chosen is walkable to shopping, banks, restaurants, (legit) massage, etc, even Immigrations! I'm not interested in Pattaya city, either -- a little too hectic for my preference.

OK. We live in an older building - Park Beach - on Wong Amat beach, with very good management and maintenance staff, spectacular views over the bay, many convenience stores, restaurants, pharmacies, legit massage within 500 meters. Pretty quiet area. Short walk/moto to Pattaya-Naklua Road, (always available because of the large hotels nearby), where baht buses are plentiful. Best Supermarket at Dolphin Circle good for most needs.

No proximity to the Immigration office, though, but we treat it as a day out with lunch in Jomtien every 90 days.

I live in Jomtien Beach Condos on the "A" side... I have lived here for 8 years and find it to be clean, well maintained and relatively quiet. They have good amenities such as restaurants, shops etc. as well as two clubhouses with pools and workout facilities. The maintenance fees are currently about 5,600 baht per year.

• Like 1

Jomtien Beach Condo is another complex that I recall being well managed and maintained, but it's a little farther from where I want to be. After moto-sai/baht-busing it for ten years at my current condo, I'm really looking for someplace easily walkable to what I call "downtown Jomtien." If my Plan A (the condos/area I outlined above) isn't fruitful, JBC is at the top of my Plan B list. Unless baht buses start plying Jomtien Second Road, though, I think I'd be more interested in the S buildings at JBC.

Edited by wpcoe

I live in JBC and think it is fairly well run. Did have some episodes where Thai owned condo above mine was leaking water & ruining my ceiling. Despite many requests and complaints, nothing was done. Problem was no shower curtain, stopper over drain (take a look and see you there is a 1/2 cup on bottom of floor drain. Quite common) However I once had small leak and they shut off my water immeadiately, demanded action (which I was glad to do). Thai love Thai in action?