Just want to confirm -- "moat bpai loohp ao"

Nautilus05

Well, "moat bpai" basically means "go away forever / disappear", and "luup ao" is basically a question particle asking, "ok?". Isn't that correct? From a store owner, and I've been going there basically every day for 8 months now, since they first opened.

So it's either:

1.) He politely told me to <deleted> off, and never come back.

2.) I'm just being paranoid, and it was due to the little stoned teenager who was in the store seconds previously, and was obviously feeling a bit aggressive. You could tell straight away, and I even hung out at different aisles until he pissed off out of the store. Maybe he was just warning me to go straight home?

Could be a few different things, depending on context, since we don't know specifically know what you heard.

I don't know about "Moat bpai" meaning go away forever, but if you wanted to buy something, and they'd run out, they might say "Mot laew, bpai ______", which would basically be telling you that what you wanted was out of stock, and that you could go to _____ to buy it instead (And they could probably leave out the "laew" to shorten the sentence if they wanted).

The "Luup" could be the word for sleep, so they might have actually been telling you that what you wanted was out of stock, and that you should goto sleep.

But as I said, it's a bit difficult to tell as we don't have the full context + phonetics are difficult (Also depending on where you are, they might be speaking in the Southern Dialect or similar).

• Like 1

If we hadn't been told this was a statement, I'd have thought the phrase was

หมดไปหรือเปล่า [L]mot [M]pai [HS]roe [L]paao '(Have you) sold out?

That seems really close to what the OP posted. If he regularly buys the same thing at the shop, then turned up unexpectedly, it might make sense for the shopkeeper to say that to him.

No, I'm quite confident he told me to go away, and never come back. Maybe the "luupb ao" is an Issan dialect, but I know for certain it's a question particle meaning "ok?". Then "moat bpai", you can find here:

http://thai-language.com/id/205594

I'm certain he said, "moat bpai luupb ao", and a few seconds later said, "bpai luupb ao" (go away, ok?). Doesn't make sense why he'd say that though, as there's absolutely no reason for him to, and I spend probably 25,000/month just at their mini-mart. I've been going there every day for probably 8 months, and one night he just tells me to go away, and never come back? I'm obviously missing something.

I'm probably just being paranoid, and he was warning me about that stoned teenager who was the previous customer, hence the "disappear, ok?" statement. Maybe he was just trying to protect me. Or who knows, but whatever... doesn't matter. Thanks for the replies though!

No, I'm quite confident he told me to go away, and never come back. Maybe the "luupb ao" is an Issan dialect, but I know for certain it's a question particle meaning "ok?".

Well, หรือเปล่า is quite likely to be pronounced [HS]lue [F]paao and means 'true or not?'.

Then "moat bpai", you can find here:

The sense of 'to go away' in the sense of changing location is not attested there, and is not one I've encountered. However, if you have the syllable division correct in "luupb ao", I've never come across the phrase.

ไปหรือเปล่า [M]pai [HS]rue [F]paao, of course, can just mean "Has he gone?".

If the storekeeper sounded aggressive, that could be because of the stoned teenager. People don't always rapidly switch their tone of voice according to whom they're speaking.

No, I'm quite confident he told me to go away, and never come back. Maybe the "luupb ao" is an Issan dialect, but I know for certain it's a question particle meaning "ok?". Then "moat bpai", you can find here:

mod bai isn't go away, it's 'used up'. 'mod' means finish

it's luu bpao, not luupb ao, two words หรือ ป่าว as other's wrote, ป่าว (bao) is a shortened form of เปล่า (blao) . but it'd be easy to hear what you heard if he spoke quickly. he's already shortening it to bao. the หรือ can also be shorted so really what he said is รึป่าว, easy to mix up.

it's a question particle meaning 'or not?' not 'ok?'

he may have said mod bai ru bao, 'has mod gone or not?' and the stoner kid's name is Mod, known to the shopkeeper

really it's just 'has mod gone?' but using 'ru bao' is what someone flustered / angry would use, like we'd say 'has that guy gone yet or what?'

Ohhh, "luu bao" means "or not?". Whoops, I got that wrong. I was certain it meant "ok?".

Well, in that case he was probably just offering me a ride home on his motorbike (eg. want to go on the motorbike, or not?). That would make more sense than anything. He's offered to drive me home several times before, although I've always declined. Then I bought more than usual that night, so heavier load, plus the stoned and aggressive teenager wandering around (unusual for this area), so maybe he was just politely demanding that it's in my best interest if he drive me home. Then in response, I just said "ok", and walked away like an idiot. :)

Now I feel comfortable to go ask him what the hell he meant, without worry of raising tensions. Good to go!

• Like 1

it is หลบ

หลบหนีphr_link.gifspeaker_sm.gif lohpL neeR to escape หลบหลีกphr_link.gifspeaker_sm.gif lohpL leekL move out of the way; to avert; to parry ที่หลบภัยphr_link.gif theeF lohpL phaiM asylum; hideaway; place of safety หลบภัยphr_link.gif lohpL phaiM to take refuge; seek refuse; seek asylum เดินหลบphr_link.gif deernM lohpL to sneak around หลบตาphr_link.gif lohpL dtaaM to avoid someone's eyes, avoid being noticed, elude observation หลบเลี่ยงphr_link.gif lohpL liiangF to avoid; keep from paying หลบฉากphr_link.gif lohpL chaakL to evade; run away หลบมุมphr_link.gif lohpL moomM to shirk; evade หลบหัวphr_link.gif lohpL huaaR to disappear หลบลี้phr_link.gif lohpL leeH to escape; avoid; dodge หลบหน้าphr_link.gif lohpL naaF to avoid meeting someone

it is หลบ

Doesn't make much sense for the storekeeper to say this. Hardly ever hear lop being used other than 'delete', as in delete that photo you just took of me darling, mai suay

The OP went to a store and the storekeeper asked หมดไปรึเปล่า (mod pai rue* plao) ...which means "are you out already?"

Why would the storekeeper ask the customer if he's out of something though? Agree with an earlier poster that I've never come across 'mod bai'

Well, in that case he was probably just offering me a ride home on his motorbike (eg. want to go on the motorbike, or not?). That would make more sense than anything. He's offered to drive me home several times before, although I've always declined. Then I bought more than usual that night, so heavier load, plus the stoned and aggressive teenager wandering around (unusual for this area), so maybe he was just politely demanding that it's in my best interest if he drive me home.

Could be that

Interesting mystery

Nope, I actually found out what happened. He actually did tell me to go away, and never come back. Apparently, his wife was making up stories about me, and decided to spread them around the neighborhood.

Went out to the store earlier today (different one, further away), and while walking there a neighbor straight out yelled to me, "<deleted> off to your home country!". I was a little stunned, so just said, "no, just going to the store" (I take my duffel bag with me, because I still have enough plastic bags to last me 6 months). Then she said, "no, no... not to your home there, but back to your own country!". Bit perplexed, I just said "ok", and walked away.

Sure enough though, upon walking home she was on the street now with her grandkids or whatever, waiting for me. She questions me again, and at this point I'm a little pissed off, so ask if we can sit down in her driveway and talk about it (her daughter was there as well, with her son -- figured she would act as a good balance). Turns out, the owner's wife of that store said I've been hitting on her. For <deleted> sakes, I'm gay. Sorry to break your heart sweetheart, but if I was going to hit on anyone, it'd be your husband, not you. What a bitch...

I mean, if you don't like me for whatever reason, then fine, just say that. I'll go to the store 20m down the road, no big deal. Don't spread rumors about me behind my back though, because that's bullshit, and now the entire neighborhood thinks I'm some pervert. Thanks, bitch...

maybe upset at the lack of attention her way?

Also please note that หลบ and ลบ differ.

ลบ is erase/delete and minus (in math) eraser is ยางลบ (rubber erase)

หลบ has a few meanings, one being move. You can hear this often around kids messing around and someone is backing up or moving something, "เฮ้ยเด็กๆหลบเลย"

Who knows what this guy said verbatim. . oh well

• Like 1

Wow wonder why someone would slander u like such, to what end? Cause they don't like your money or you or both. I'm sorry to hear you have suffered this bs, kinda sad.

Don't get carried away, he spends average 800baht a day I a mini mart and has been doing so for eight months; do you really believe that the owner is going to piss him off?

The poster has absolutely no idea what he heard; why on Earth he should assume it was anything but positive is amazing.

If anything this thread could be linked in nicely with the one about paying to learn Thai being a waste of time.

Is the wife you allegedly seduced named Mod? (female name, as in learn Thai with Mod)

In that case 'mod ao ruu bao' would be 'did you <deleted> Mod or not?' as 'ao' is used for that verb. To take / possess / have a person in the carnal sense.

k0AjWUp.png

Although actually that'd be him asking if Mod <deleted> you...

The more I think about it sounds like he's asking if you banged her and the 'mod' part is something you misheard.

Edited by jspill

Nope, I actually found out what happened. He actually did tell me to go away, and never come back. Apparently, his wife was making up stories about me, and decided to spread them around the neighborhood.

Went out to the store earlier today (different one, further away), and while walking there a neighbor straight out yelled to me, "<deleted> off to your home country!". I was a little stunned, so just said, "no, just going to the store" (I take my duffel bag with me, because I still have enough plastic bags to last me 6 months). Then she said, "no, no... not to your home there, but back to your own country!". Bit perplexed, I just said "ok", and walked away.

Sure enough though, upon walking home she was on the street now with her grandkids or whatever, waiting for me. She questions me again, and at this point I'm a little pissed off, so ask if we can sit down in her driveway and talk about it (her daughter was there as well, with her son -- figured she would act as a good balance). Turns out, the owner's wife of that store said I've been hitting on her. For <deleted> sakes, I'm gay. Sorry to break your heart sweetheart, but if I was going to hit on anyone, it'd be your husband, not you. What a bitch...

I mean, if you don't like me for whatever reason, then fine, just say that. I'll go to the store 20m down the road, no big deal. Don't spread rumors about me behind my back though, because that's bullshit, and now the entire neighborhood thinks I'm some pervert. Thanks, bitch...

I didn't read this amplification. If a neighbour actually confronted you then I think that you live in the wrong neighbourhood! Are you renting? If you are gay then they have known that since soon after the day you moved in so the story of you trying to seduce the wife wouldn't be credible.

Can you speak Thai? Was the conversation with 'granny' in English? If not English can you write in some sort of logical phonetics what it was you thought was said?

It is fascinating.

If a neighbour actually confronted you then I think that you live in the wrong neighbourhood!

Tell me about it. Especially when you have no idea what you did wrong. I've lived here for a good while, and nothing in my life has changed, but all of a sudden everyone seems to hate me with a vengeance. I'm still quite lost as to what sparked this. I don't do anything that would make anyone dislike me.

If you are gay then they have known that since soon after the day you moved in so the story of you trying to seduce the wife wouldn't be credible.

Nah, they would have had no reason to think I'm gay. Well, until yesterday when I told them. I don't act or dress feminine, don't have a boyfriend, don't date, don't do giks, don't have gay friends, nothing. I just hang out here at home with my dogs while behind the computer, for the most part. And nobody ever asked me, so I never told them. I don't care if anyone knows, but I don't go around randomly telling people.

Can you speak Thai? Was the conversation with 'granny' in English? If not English can you write in some sort of logical phonetics what it was you thought was said?

Went something like this. I was talking down the street to the store, and:

Granny: "hey! gap baan!"

Me: "nah, pom bpai laan tee-nan" (nah, just going to the store over there)

Granny: "no, no! gap baan brapteet kun! tee-noon!" *pointing far away* (no, no, go back to your home country, far away!)

Me: "ok, chai" *walk away*

Then basically a repeat of above while I was walking back home, except this time she was on the street waiting for me. Just trust me, I didn't misinterpret anything during that little convo.

But yes, I do rent, and thankfully these days only rent furnished houses. My lease is already fulfilled on this house, so no problem, I'll just grab a new one. Hopefully somewhere like my old neighborhood, and not one filled with xenophonic snobs.