woking at a language center, what are my options for a proper visa

Hello TV users, I recently started working at a language center, and I'm curious about what I might need to get a work permit and non b visa. It's my understanding that for a government school you need a degree, but since it's a private business, I was hoping I wouldn't need a degree since I don't have one. Any useful advice is much appreciated.

If you are already working what kind of visa do you currently have? And you are working illegally if you don't have a work permit or have at least started the process. The consequences for which you will be told many times in the near future. That said, you need the paperwork from the school to apply for the work permit and the visit a consulate/embassy along with the paperwork supplied by the school and the receipt for the work permit application and apply for a Non-B visa. It has been reported that you don't need a degree working for a language school but do not know the current requirements which may vary depending on your location. Good luck!

Edited by wayned

I assume your meaning ...that you are going to start working....

A language centre will not require a degree.

Visa experts like ubon etc will be along with accurate advise. Have a squiz in teaching forum. Not just for visa but lots of usefull advice there. Good luck

Edited by jacksam

Yes, I just started lass than 2 weeks ago, currently on tourist visa, and don't want to work illegally. But the school made no mention of work permit/visa when I signed up, so i thought id do more investigating on my own. Ill ask the schools owner about theor status with the MOE, and see what my options are from there.

Is the school registered with the Ministry of Education. If not then you will not be able to get non-b visa or a work permit.

This is probably the most important thing you should check.

I have had friends caught out on this.

Many of the language centres will employ you as some kind of 'expert' to get round the rules but, IMHO, a bit iffy.

Yes, I just started lass than 2 weeks ago, currently on tourist visa, and don't want to work illegally. But the school made no mention of work permit/visa when I signed up, so i thought id do more investigating on my own. Ill ask the schools owner about theor status with the MOE, and see what my options are from there.

You should know it is illegal to work on a tourist visa. First get your visa and work permit organised then start working.

You should know it is illegal to work on a tourist visa. First get your visa and work permit organised then start working.

I'm aware of that, but I also have yet to meet the person that had their visa sorted and work permit in hand before they started teaching. So there's also that. That is why I was asking about my options, I'm not comfortable working illegally.

So why are you working illegally then if you don't want to be doing that? facepalm.gifwhistling.gif