A little help with island hopping, please

alt

If this is more suitable somewhere else, mods please move!

OK so just a brief background first... we're returning to LOS for 1 month. We'll spend some time up North and then make our way down south.

As a guesstimate, we plan to leave BKK on Dec 16/17 to 'go south' (as in, south of Krabi to the islands). Our deadline is that we have to be on Samui for Dec 24th (we're booked in, as we're using it as a stop-off point)

So, that gives 7/8 days on the islands. We would like to go as far South as Koh Lipe. Looking at a pic here:

map-my.jpg

Would it make most sense to fly into Hat Yai and get to Koh Lipe as quickly as possible. From the map it looks like we could spend a night or two on some of the islands, before eventually making our way to Phuket to fly out to Samui.

If this idea does make sense, what islands are worth visiting, and which are worth giving a miss? Given that we're happy to spend a week just sitting on beaches enjoying the nice sun-shine, with the hope of taking a longtail boat / speedboat to go exploring a bit.

We've been on Lanta before (and loved it) so would happily miss it, but i'm guessing it's a hub so have to go there. Ideally we'd like to do a night in Railay, but again we've been there so wouldn't miss it, given that we'll have been on some lovely beaches already.

OR

Would it make sense to fly into Krabi and try to make our way down South? I'm guessing not, as once we're down south the only way to get up to Samui is by land which would take 6+ hours.

BTW, we're just goign on what we've read online that we want to go as far south as Lipe. If it's too much work for such little time, we'd happily stay further North (and leave from Krabi) if we can spend a couple of days doing some more localised island hopping. Again, what we want is chilled out and lovely beaches. Ideally we'd like to stay at least one night on a 'paradise' island... we've done the day trips before from Lanta and while it was lovely, it killed us to have to leave.

Thanks for any help guys

Another option would be to fly BKK - Trang, and from Trang visit the likes of Koh Kradang / Koh Mook / Koh Ngai / Lanta

From there we either to North as far as Krabi / Railay and make our way to Phuket, or *shudder* a night in Phi Phi before going to Phuket

Again, opinions welcome. As we're in our mid 20's, while we do want some luxury / relaxing on islands... after a day or two I feel I might get bored and want to get back to some lively action... hence why i'm thinking this 2nd option (only go as far south as trang) might be the best move

• Like 1

We're just typical mid 20's couple (we're Irish... we like to drink) who would like to also chill out for a few days down South.

As you say, my fear is 'too much of the same thing' as we'll be 2 days on a beach in Samui and 4 days on Tao.

For 2 - 3 days of pure relaxation on amazing beaches with not-too-much people traffic, you recommend going further south, yes? And then just come up towards Phuket (to get a plane)

These islands will be getting very crowded by then. Lipe is very crowded and perhaps a bit overbuilt. Encroachment is everywhere. If you want solitude, you might want to look at another island, but for me, I'd like to visit there anyway and see what it's like.

This blog has probably the best info on the various islands here in Thailand:

http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/

This island is suppose to be very nice and can be done on the way there or back from Lipe:

http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/2008/12/ko-tarutao.html

Here's the ferry schedule for the various islands....at least one option:

http://tigerlinetravel.com/

And some info on Lipe:

http://www.kohlipethailand.com/

And of course hotel bookings can be done here:

http://www.booking.com/country/th.html?aid=369143&label=topmenulink

giggle.gif

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the reply :)

I have been advised that I am trying to pack too much stuff into too little time.

So, we have decided to restrict our week trip down south to less islands.

We could go straight down to Lipe (via Hat Yai) and an island or two surrounding, OR, fly into Trang and do an island or two around there. Would I be right in saying that the islands further south (ie. Lipe) would be 'nicer' - I know you say it will be crowded, but what island won't?!

One of the big problems with the islands is the amount of time it takes to get from point A to point B. Samui to Krabi is an all day affair. Counting the time from check out to check in...well...at least check out to first beer on the beach at your new hotel. 555555

Another option would be to fly BKK - Trang, and from Trang visit the likes of Koh Kradang / Koh Mook / Koh Ngai / Lanta

This is another great option. I don't see how you can miss either way. Spend some time on Tezza's website. Excellent info and might help you figure out which one is best.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will think about it over the next day or two, but I think flying to Trang and visiting those surrounding islands is the best bet. It's then not too long to get back up to Krabi (or Phuket) to go onward to Samui

I spent all afternoon trying to make my mind up between..

Fly to Hat Yai, go to Lipe and then make our way up

OR

Fly to Trang, go to Muk / Ngai, then on to Lanta (we were there before but happy to go back) and then make our way up

My head is telling me the 2nd option (Trang) as it seems to make more sense. Also easier to get to the islands from Trang.

Am I making the right decision? :) I think either way we'd need to book our accom. soon

Do you realise that air asia do a transfer from HY airport to Ko Lipe ? I have used other AirAsia transfers and can't rate them highly enough. I see people stuffed into some minivan with 18 people. AA is a little more expensive, but it really is stress-free.

I have been to going to the Tarutao national park for 15 years now, and loved every holiday there .. I have only visited Lipe a couple of times and seen it grow, its not a pretty sight, but what unregulated growth in Thailand isn't ? If you loved the vibe on Lanta, your going to find the same thing on Lipe.

Im sure you will have a great time there, there are bars and rustic bungalow resorts there which attract the right crowd for you to hook up with.

If you head to the Trang islands you might find it a bit hit and miss. I find the resorts a bit lifeless, food and accomadation lacking. Theres excursions going on, but its the same tours as you will see on Lanta - Emerald caves, snorkelling, mangroves.

With any of the southern islands, its going to take you the best part of 2 days to get on and off .. so thats cut you down to 5 days. If your coming from Europe you might want to spend a day sleeping.

If you go to Lipe, you can take a day out snorkeling, a couple of days lying on the powder sand, cross over to the national park either Andang or Tarutao island on the way back and spend a night ( where there is nothing apart from a bed and restaurant ) and explore.

On the return, just take the ferry to the mainland arriving early afternoon, bus to Hat Yai then overnight bus ( or train ) to Samui.

If you go to the Trang islands, your going to spend a lot of your holiday waiting in a travel agents or by a pier for vans or boats to make your trip to Ao Nang, then waiting and loosing another day getting to Samui.

I did 2 nights on Kradan in January - for chilling out it was the best island I've been to. Pristine white sand and clear blue seas and not crowded at all. There's an italian chap who's opened a pizza restaurant right next to the beach - damn good pizza, how he gets the ingredients there I have no idea!

The sunset alone is worth it.

• Like 1

I did 2 nights on Kradan in January - for chilling out it was the best island I've been to. Pristine white sand and clear blue seas and not crowded at all. There's an italian chap who's opened a pizza restaurant right next to the beach - damn good pizza, how he gets the ingredients there I have no idea!

The sunset alone is worth it.

Yes, this is a perfect place for chilling out .. take a book, catch up on some sleep, eat a pizza, walk up the beach at sunset, few people who keep themselves to themselves, great for me and the wife, at 40, but is it what the OP is looking for ?

ETS: When I first heard of Kradan, It was known as the honeymoon island, where newly weds would head to one of the few (expensive) resorts on the island. Maybe Its changed, I couldn't tell you.

Edited by recom273

You're planning on hitting how many islands in eight days? With wait times at airlines and fairies you'd be lucky to have enough time for a beer on each island. I'd fly to Trang and decide on two or three of the islands--Phi Phi, Lantah, Ngai, Muk, Kradang, and return to Krabi where you can fly or take a taxi to Samui--in fact, a taxi is about B5k, maybe less, no waiting, stop where and when you want, drink beer all the way; there is an expressway between Krabi and Surat and on to Donsak for the Samui ferry--takes only three hours mol.

• Like 1

You're planning on hitting how many islands in eight days? With wait times at airlines and fairies you'd be lucky to have enough time for a beer on each island. I'd fly to Trang and decide on two or three of the islands--Phi Phi, Lantah, Ngai, Muk, Kradang, and return to Krabi where you can fly or take a taxi to Samui--in fact, a taxi is about B5k, maybe less, no waiting, stop where and when you want, drink beer all the way; there is an expressway between Krabi and Surat and on to Donsak for the Samui ferry--takes only three hours mol.

Yup I would definitely go with a taxi....I hate those minivans.

We did Samui to Ao Nang several years ago. It was an all day mess. We caught a minivan in Surat and the driver had a delivery, so went way out of our path for this. Plus, we waited some 2 hours for the van to fill up. And got dropped off at an inconvenient location in Krabi, so had to get another truck to take us to Ao Nang. Not a fun day.

Thanks for the replies guys... still can't make up my mind whether to do Lipe via Hat Yai, or Kradang / Mook / Ngai via Trang.

The thing is that we do want to end up back in Ao Nang / Railay area as we loved it last time. From there on we can either ferry over to Phuket (which seems a little out of the way as we have no desire to see Phuket) to fly to Samui.

We took a bus (+ ferry) from Samui to Krabi before and yes it was a bit of a mess (but we had good fun, big group and lots of beer).

I see a suggestion of flying to Hat Yai and do Lipe (and some other island) and then back to Hat Yai straight up to Samui via overnight bus/train - this actually makes a lot of sense and could be a winner.

Either way, I at least now know that it's one choice or the other... not possible to do ALL the islands in such little time