Prosecutors set to arraign Myanmar men for Koh Tao killings

webfact

Why we don't hear about British investigators??

That is the million dollar question.

Diplomatic channels must be observed and adhered to I suppose.

Should the public prosecutor be feeling the push to proceed on this case then it could potentially be wound up within a month. All before the official release of the report in January.

I would expect a leak of this document, or parts thereof, very, very soon.

True RTP but them again getting so hard to fake DNA tests these Days with the world watching. One way or another justice will find those Guilty and it won't care who you know or pay off . So If I were a certain someone I would run forrest run. mark my words.

True strange brew and I hope that justice does find those guilty, guilty one way or another.

What I sincerely hope is the hand of justice finds those not guilty, not guilty.

As, with this misjudgement, comes death.

These two things are not part and parcel of the same deal. The Burmese two must be released and hopefully never even face the farce of a Samui trial. This is sadly, not likely and I do fear the worst for the lads.

Justice by all means but the garbage that gets posted on here with no proof is lynch mob material.

You have convinced yourselves they are innocent and leave no room for any other outcome.

Not a healthy attitude!

Ha bloody ha! And only women who are not beautiful are safe in bikinis is a healthy attitude. Get a life.

• Like 1

I am very concerned by the lack of any public report from the British Police sent to overview the case - even if they have to say "we were not given sufficient independent access" it would strengthen the case for further investigation into the police activity.

This I also quoted about in some earlier threads.

The British police were only there as a public relations exercise to appease the doubters, observers only. They will not go against the grain with the investigation or if they do have any criticisms these will be stated subtly and still will not have any influence on the judgement of the court.

So, following your train of thought: even if the Brits come up with evidence that implicates the headman's people, the Brits will stay mum. In other words, not rocking the ships of state is more important than telling the truth or submitting evidence which may nail the true criminals. If that turns out to be true, the Brits will be shown to be morally decrepit.
  • Like 2

Thailand: Detention of Koh Tao murder suspects extended for 6th time

http://asiancorrespondent.com/128679/thailand-detention-of-koh-tao-murder-suspects-extended-for-6th-time/

A tweet (in thai language) by Andy Hall states that this extension has been requested in order to check the details of many testimonies made by a lot of withesses ...

I wonder from where do these witnesses suddenly spring up ?

Witnesses for the Defence giggle.gifcoffee1.gif

Justice by all means but the garbage that gets posted on here with no proof is lynch mob material.

You have convinced yourselves they are innocent and leave no room for any other outcome.

Not a healthy attitude!

Better call the Prime Minister of England and Burma. Their suspicions are unfounded.

How dare they bother theThai PM with their silly questions about the killings.

• Like 1

http://asiancorrespondent.com/128679/thailand-detention-of-koh-tao-murder-suspects-extended-for-6th-time/

A tweet (in thai language) by Andy Hall states that this extension has been requested in order to check the details of many testimonies made by a lot of withesses ...

Probably one of the best articles I've read on the case, anyone doubting the concern shown internationally on this case should read this. For those out there that condemn those seeking justice and posting on social media, then best to avoid this, it will hit you in the face.

• Like 2

Interestingly enough an update on the lad who was attacked in Samui some months ago appeared on thaivisa this morning.

I may be mistaken but I understand that the uk hearing into the murder-island murders is on the very same day that the trial for this lads case starts in Samui. How poetic if this is so. Can we confirm that these both start on 6th Jan? Enormous pressure on samuiland if this is the case.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/780935-jacks-plight-for-justice-in-samui-after-an-attack-leaves-him-with-mounting-medical-bills/page-4#entry8749863

Interestingly enough an update on the lad who was attacked in Samui some months ago appeared on thaivisa this morning.

I may be mistaken but I understand that the uk hearing into the murder-island murders is on the very same day that the trial for this lads case starts in Samui. How poetic if this is so. Can we confirm that these both start on 6th Jan? Enormous pressure on samuiland if this is the case.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/780935-jacks-plight-for-justice-in-samui-after-an-attack-leaves-him-with-mounting-medical-bills/page-4#entry8749863

Its also the exact same prosecuting team, yes the BBC mentioned 6th Jan for Hannahs inquest

Edited by thailandchilli

Any half-witted lawyer can have these charges thrown-out without much of an effort..joke; unless it will be a kangaroo court.

Maybe not a kangaroo court, but perhaps a rhino beetle court. It is increasingly looking like biz-as-usual proceedings (influenced by corruption, pay-offs, bowing to social-strata dictates). Unless players on the Thai officialdom side of the scrimmage all of a sudden decide to be objective and disregard money, social status (and dictates from their superiors), it will be biz-as-usual and the scapegoats will be found guilty.

I predicted from the outset how this case would conclude and have no reasons to cast doubts on the verdict once this reaches the court. Those that disagree with the verdict and the way this investigation has been conducted can still go ahead on facebook publishing their crackpot conspiracy theories for the rest of eternity, but it won`t make the lightest different to the outcome of this case and will eventually fall on deaf ears once this case is concluded and laid to rest.

Perhaps you're right. The tens of thousands of Facebook posts won't have any bearing on the final ruling on the case (B2 found guilty). But the outpouring of concern (and photos, etc) from social media has had a deep impact on how the case has moved along. Even the Thai PM has commented on that. He and all his underlings are uncomfortable with all the bad press they've been getting, as well as the doubters who aren't afraid to speak up. If the shoe was on the other foot (if social media was praising officials) then of course, officialdom would love the adulation. There are a slew of reasons hundreds of thousands of Thai and farang feel strongly that this case has been abysmally handled. Those opinions probably won't change the course of the court proceedings, but they may be having an even deeper effect: It may affect the way RTP conduct investigations in the future: hopefully instill a modicum of professionalism and objectivity, and a bit less corruption and fabrication/skewing of evidence.

The Brit Police report..............Diplomatic version.

Not a healthy attitude!

Troll that to the embassies and authorities in England and Myanmar! The locals have given us no reason to see any evidence perpetrated upon these two men is real. Stop making a hobby out of merely winding people up for the sick pleasure of being an old pensioner on his girls' Ubon pig farm, who needs to find a part time job.

<deleted>!

Under the law, some items of evidence can't be disclosed publicly," he said.

But somehow they had the right to disclose everything on a near hour-by-hour basis. The RTP wear brown because it hides all the BS inside them.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity
  • Like 1

Indicted and convicted whatever the evidence, because the RTP put the B2 there, and the judge will believe the RTP and not the B2 whatever the defence. And no-one on here can do anything about it, but accept that what will happen will happen.

Agreed, we can do nothing about it, nor legally can the UK or Burmese governments, but in hand with those official channels we can carry on to express our distaste at this enormous travesty of Justice and lack of respect to the victims family, all to keep the tourist $$$ flowing

but will it do that? Keep tourist $$$ flowing?

You could think a guilty verdict would do just opposite. At least from many Brits anyway.

it leave a bad taste in the mouth no matter who is guilty.

not sure if enough to alter national tourism but you would think kho tao would be suffering no matter what

Especially if the mystery deaths keep happenning after these errr killers are prosecuted

Edited by tingtongtourist

Its also the exact same prosecuting team, yes the BBC mentioned 6th Jan for Hannahs inquest

Thank you for confirming this. What I wouldn't give to be in Samui that day !

I am advised that international media will be in town so could be quite a show.... Erh.... Performance, by all involved.

Should see many a sweaty brow that day !

Regarding the photo accompanying the OP: There's the same photo from a slightly different angle, just right of the published one. It clearly shows Mon (Headman's brother and one who was, and should still be a suspect). He's standing behind and to the left of the man in the center with the whitish-blue shirt.

Indictment of Koh Tao Murder Suspects Postponed Again
By Khaosod English

14175112051417511569l.jpg
Police arrested Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, both 21-year-old Burmese migrants, on 3 October and accused them of murdering British tourists David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, on the popular resort island of Koh Tao.

BANGKOK – A court on Koh Samui island has approved a prosecutor’s request to extend the detention of two Burmese men accused of murdering British tourists in southern Thailand in September.

Police arrested Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo*, both 21-year-old Burmese migrants, on 3 October and accused them of murdering British tourists David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, on the popular resort island of Koh Tao.

Despite police’s insistence that Zaw and Wai are linked to the murder through incontrovertible forensic evidence, the public prosecutor handling the case has repeatedly delayed indicting the two men, citing police’s "incomplete" case files.

The two men have had their detention extended six times since they were arrested, bringing their total number of days in prison up to 60. Under Thai laws, a suspect can be detained for up to 84 days before trial.

In court today, the public prosecutor reportedly attributed the delay of Zaw and Win’s indictment to the extensive amount of evidence and numerous witnesses connected to the case.

Police initially insisted that Zaw and Wai confessed to the murder, but the two suspects later recanted their confessions in the presence of lawyers.

The Burmese men told lawyers they were tortured by police into making the confessions, an allegation police have steadfastly denied.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1417511205

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-12-02

Indictment of Koh Tao Murder Suspects Postponed Again

By Khaosod English

14175112051417511569l.jpg

Police arrested Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, both 21-year-old Burmese migrants, on 3 October and accused them of murdering British tourists David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, on the popular resort island of Koh Tao.

BANGKOK – A court on Koh Samui island has approved a prosecutor’s request to extend the detention of two Burmese men accused of murdering British tourists in southern Thailand in September.

Police arrested Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo*, both 21-year-old Burmese migrants, on 3 October and accused them of murdering British tourists David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, on the popular resort island of Koh Tao.

Despite police’s insistence that Zaw and Wai are linked to the murder through incontrovertible forensic evidence, the public prosecutor handling the case has repeatedly delayed indicting the two men, citing police’s "incomplete" case files.

The two men have had their detention extended six times since they were arrested, bringing their total number of days in prison up to 60. Under Thai laws, a suspect can be detained for up to 84 days before trial.

In court today, the public prosecutor reportedly attributed the delay of Zaw and Win’s indictment to the extensive amount of evidence and numerous witnesses connected to the case.

Police initially insisted that Zaw and Wai confessed to the murder, but the two suspects later recanted their confessions in the presence of lawyers.

The Burmese men told lawyers they were tortured by police into making the confessions, an allegation police have steadfastly denied.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1417511205

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2014-12-02

Time to stop the BS!!

Time for the prosecutor to admit, there is, and there never was, a case!!

Instead of wasting everybodys time, what about a investigation into "alternative" suspects??

Hint: You don't have to look very far!!

• Like 1

Well because I don't go along with the TVF detectives come lynch mob I have been called a troll I've had a interest in the ac bar I've been on the payroll for the RTP I am a government informant and now I'm a pensioner living on a pig farm in ubon with a girlfriend looking for a part time job.

Thank you Gemini81 and your ct mates.It just proves with you lot it's your way or the highway no facts required.

Your honour I rest my case!

I was not aware that any witness had been hunted, who actually observed what happened Must have slow readers working on the prosecution team. Only witnesses I can foresee being called are charactor witnesses, guess if you go family/friends all the way to far removed cousins, you could get a right big crowd involved.

The next big hurrdle may be explaining where the comparsion DNA that is reported as evidence, left by those committing this crime, came from.

Probably one of the best articles I've read on the case, anyone doubting the concern shown internationally on this case should read this. For those out there that condemn those seeking justice and posting on social media, then best to avoid this, it will hit you in the face.

From the linked above article:

The online community was the first group to openly question the Royal Thai Police’s “perfect investigation”. Within minutes of Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo being paraded in front of the international press as the perpetrators of this vicious crime, social media exploded with questions, doubts and conspiracy theories.

And conspiracy theories about the conspiracy theories. By the time of the October 3, 2014 beach re-enactment scene the family of Ms. Witheridge most likely had already set in motion the UK follow-up as specified in the FCO / Police Chiefs MOU

Edited by JLCrab

Why is everyone hell bent on saying these 2 are innocent.

The General just had some of the top cops in Thailand arrested yet there isn't as much as a hint that his people have found anything untoward and don't think for one minute they haven't checked

I very much doubt if the General would hesitate to arrest anyone who has tampered with evidence...He wants the people behind him and if this was a stitch up and he exposed it, his popularity would go through the roof.

It seems that all we read on Thaivisa these days is post written by know it alls who spend half their lives telling us every policeman in Thailand is corrupt and in every case that comes up the evil Thai Police have an angle.

In the case at hand there is not one piece of evidence that suggests these guys are innocent. They have no alibi of being elsewhere, they admitted they did it but now with their lives on the line and a bunch of lawyers (the most honest people in Thailand) pulling the strings suddenly we here cries of "It wasn't me"c

Some one correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there a 3rd man, their friend who witnessed the attack?

“The General just had some of the top cops in Thailand arrested…”

He didn’t have anyone arrested. He learned of it later. (He says)

No. A third man did not witness the crime in Koh Tao:

https://www.dvb.no/news/third-burmese-said-he-did-not-witness-murder-burma-myanmar/44856

(Also reported in BP. But as you may know, cannot be linked here.)

Here, he details the intimidation he received:

https://www.dvb.no/news/koh-tao-murders-third-man-released-returning-to-burma-myanmar/45040

“Some one correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there a 3rd man, their friend who witnessed the attack?"

Corrected.

“…telling us every policeman in Thailand is corrupt and in every case that comes up the evil Thai Police have an angle.”

The answer to your query is in the last line of this article: wai2.gifwai.gif

http://time.com/3608619/thailand-military-sommai-phasee-pongpat-chayapan/an-released-returning-to-burma-myanmar/45040