Confusion with Residence Certificate.

I'm purchasing a motorcycle and so need a residence certificate. I'm on a Non-O multiple entry visa, based on marriage.

I've got some documents ready and went to the immigration department in BKK today. Upon talking to an agent at immigration, I was told they don't give RC and I need to go to my embassy for that. I called Canadian embassy in BKK and explained the situation and said the immigration is sending me there. The embassy said they don't give the RC but they can give me the affidavit of residency.

Are these the same things, the affidavit and the RC? Or the affidavit is required for the RC? Both the affidavit and the RC require similar supporting documents so I'd think these 2 are the same type of documents?

Went speaking to another agent and after a few minutes of talking and showing her some documents, she kept insisting that I don't have a 1 year visa. I have had my passport open right in front of her with my Non-O multiple visa page and she kept insisting it's not the right visa????

It's a pain the arse to deal with Thai government officials, they're of no help and the way they speak to people, they may as well write the "bugger off, I'm busy" on their forehead.

I'd like to ask if the RC and affidavit are the same things. It would be easier to deal with people at my embassy.

Also would like to ask what documents are required for the RC (if I still need to get it). I have my passport with visa, passport size photos, a letter from landlord saying that I live at the address (the rental contract is however on my wife's name only), and I have our marriage certificate. And money.

Do I need anything else?

How much is the cost of the RC by the way? There was a notice board at the immigration department with various forms and prices and there was 2 types of RC listed, one was 19K THB and the other one was 180K+ THB. I think even a 19K was too expensive, I think folks at the motor forums mentioned it costs a lot less than that.

Bangkok immigration will not do a certificate of residency unless you are doing 90 day reports to them. There is no official fee for them. Some offices charge from 200 to 500 baht for them.

The affidavit of residency will be accepted. But some dealers and registration offices will want it translated to Thai.

• Like 1