Has Thailand finally killed the golden goose?

Phuketboy

The apologist would say...Scams? What Scams? We have no Scams...just disgruntled old fat tourists making Thailand look bad...

Truth is the geese are flying over Thailand...having found more fertile feeding grounds without being shot at so often...

While you wish to use sarcasm, not facts, as you tool. Should we instead say that we are all going to die horrible death as there is no government to protect us?

Thiis muuust beee a horrible future for all of us. Right?

Where is this goose supposed to be? Guys, anyone in the farming forum knows anything about this bird?

Here's a recent photo of the goose on a BA flight from Heathrow to Swampy. Cant say I'll be overly upset if he doesnt come back.

xpost-172716-0-02708700-1417704345_thumb

I thought posting pictures of tv members was against forum rules biggrin.png

Does anyone have a clue how many Americans vacation in Thailand compared to Aussies and Europeans? I don't see that many when I'm there.

China's economy including exports is struggling. The Russian Ruble has crashed. Japan's economy is struggling.

I think it's currency values and economies that are doing at least some of this. Also, Thailand has become expensive. For people on a budget there are alternatives.

I am an American and I agree there are far fewer Americans in Thailand ( tourist) than Aussies or Europeans in Thailand.

I have lived here for years now, but before that, I visited a couple of times a year.

The reason that there are so few American tourist here is the distance!

With layovers, it can easily take 20 hours to fly here from California, and many Americans need to travel to California before leaving from there.

It once took me 36 hours to fly back to California due to plane problems in both Bangkok and Taipei...not a pleasant trip!

Being pretty tall, as many Americans are, long flights are torture.

There are many great vacation destinations without all the bad publicity that are, much closer to the U.S.

No matter what happens to the exchange rate of Baht to USD, I would not expect to see a noticeable increase in American tourist in Thailand.

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 2

Where is this goose supposed to be? Guys, anyone in the farming forum knows anything about this bird?

Mate ... it was news to me ... until yesterday when the flyer in the Mail came in for this creation, that I've never heard of before.

A turducken

A chicken, stuffed inside a duck, stuffed inside a goose turkey ... blink.png

turducken1.jpg

Credit

Actual image is here

Regardless of individual expat opinion , military rule and martial law are not pluses for the majority of tourists. Throw in global economic woe , a seemingly over valued baht , perceived safety concerns and Thailand looks less atractive then it once was.

Even TAT conceed that numbers are down and as Chinese tour groups contribute very little to local economies , I would guess the tourist contribution to GDP will reduce accordingly.

• Like 1

Well I have struggled to get decent accommodation for February and still find coming to Thailand for hols cheaper than Europe, what I don't understand is why people keep their prices for rent so high and have no bookings when another apartment in same block is fully booked all high season for less money?!

Does anyone have a clue how many Americans vacation in Thailand compared to Aussies and Europeans? I don't see that many when I'm there.

China's economy including exports is struggling. The Russian Ruble has crashed. Japan's economy is struggling.

I think it's currency values and economies that are doing at least some of this. Also, Thailand has become expensive. For people on a budget there are alternatives.

I'm American, but now officially retired after a massive Japanese import 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 SX just took all the pep out of me, and having bone grafts and steel implants in both shoulders, implants in my right forearm and 2 experimental surgeries on my right femur, along with the 4 day coma and still enough pain to keep me on large doses of morphine and 2x/month hospital checkups. I traveled 30+ countries for business and start companies before landing in Thailand in 2002 working for some government officials which shall go unnamedsmile.png ... plus I started one new Law Firm here in 2003 with a Korean partner.

I would never consider Thailand a tourist destination of mine, specifically WAY too hot (I like 20C at night for a good 6 months of the year and not much more than 26C in the day). Thailand has far too much corruption, scams, disorganization, always changing rules, etc., for me to come here for vacation. I am only cause I am married to my Thai wife, and we have businesses here and in Japan, and being back in the States was never a big pull for me after the Bush's. I traveled in lived in Bali for 6months and loved it ... hopped my first surfboard there at age 45 or so back in the mid-2000s. Tahiti, Samoa, Maldives, nice temperate countries like Ecuador where you have 4 different seasons if you travel 300 km N,S,E, or West.

I merely accept Thailand, and enjoy my wife and her family here. Vacation? Not a thought in a lifetime.

PRG

Sounds more like you except it.

• Like 1

Just saw a very interesting story about world economics, on CNN by Richard Quest, basically to predict world economics keep your eye on the price of crude, the last time the financial markets were very bad was back in 2009, the price of crude was $34 per barrel then, lets watch and see what happens this time ?

Do you think they really care?!?

Domestic tourism is thriving this season...

Close to home: Wang Nam Keow will be -again- fully packed this weekend.

I've been there...but it was closed.

Indeed, several resorts have been closed down for land encroachment of the natural park.

Good riddance actually...

Be more choosy next time regarding where you want to spend your money.

I meant the entire area.

Maybe it wasn't closed, maybe I somehow just missed it.

What happens there by the way?

A great number of tourists are regulars and are often connected with long term stayers.

They are not much concerned about danger, corruption and rip off's, they know the drill.

But they are very much concerned with the fact that many long term stayers are being pushed out. They are concerned about urine tests. And they are enormously sensitive around the growing anti-farang sentiment.

There are lots of others who look for potential business and investment opportunities. Which have gone form marginal to zero.

A strong prevailing attitude is, well it was kind of fun and there was some potential, but now its just too damned ugly, too difficult, a bit on the pricey side and there are other places.

Cambodia will do well.

Great post except for the Cambodia part.

The population of Cambodia is the brutalized thugs that remained after they killed everyone else.

It's a nasty violent place with a brutal desensitized population.

I've only been there briefly a few times. The streets looked a bit rough and nasty. Some of the people I met where charming, but there aren't many places in which the slaughter of millions of people don't leave scars. Poverty is a big issue. I've heard that things are picking up - more visitors, more economic activity and hopefully future generations will enjoy a better life than those of the recent past. Some reports I've had of falangs living in the country side are mildly encouraging.

what I don't understand is why people keep their prices for rent so high and have no bookings when another apartment in same block is fully booked all high season for less money?!

Answer:

The first apartment is owned by a Thai - the second apartment is owned by a non-Thai

oh, and it is not high season yet. not for another week or so. Having just spent 3 months on koh phangan, the tourists are certainly coming back and this year business for my holiday rental has double over last year which was dire indeed.

I am giving LOS a miss this year off to Indonesia where I will spend all my holiday money. Tired of all their problems and bad attitude towards foreigners. Somehow they think they are doing us a favour?

Chiang Mai is already inundated with tourists. One less disgruntled farang means absolutely zero.

• Like 2

Thailand is under Marshall Law and under the control of an oppressive Military Junta.

The Police are out of control, backing the systematic scamming of visitors.

Are you going to plan your family holiday there?

marshall law?

you mean this guy?

Martial_Law.jpg

or these?

1280px-MarshallStack_Slayer.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a recent photo of the goose on a BA flight from Heathrow to Swampy. Cant say I'll be overly upset if he doesnt come back.

attachicon.giffatbastard.jpg

Jesus Christ. And I was just about to have something to eat...

Mate ... it was news to me ... until yesterday when the flyer in the Mail came in for this creation, that I've never heard of before.

A turducken

A chicken, stuffed inside a duck, stuffed inside a goose turkey ... blink.png

turducken1.jpg

Credit

Actual image is here

OMG. Fabulous matryoshka poultry. ohmy.png

Edited by Morakot

I am an American and I agree there are far fewer Americans in Thailand ( tourist) than Aussies or Europeans in Thailand.

I have lived here for years now, but before that, I visited a couple of times a year.

The reason that there are so few American tourist here is the distance!

With layovers, it can easily take 20 hours to fly here from California, and many Americans need to travel to California before leaving from there.

It once took me 36 hours to fly back to California due to plane problems in both Bangkok and Taipei...not a pleasant trip!

Being pretty tall, as many Americans are, long flights are torture.

There are many great vacation destinations without all the bad publicity that are, much closer to the U.S.

No matter what happens to the exchange rate of Baht to USD, I would not expect to see a noticeable increase in American tourist in Thailand.

Most Americans get 2 weeks holiday.

For my old classmates, a dream vacation of a lifetime might be visiting California or Florida.

Overseas travel doesn't even cross their minds.

Everyday, I go to Google News and search 'Thailand.'

The local press isn't covering the oppression. Imagine that.

The Bangkok Pundit?

He was reliable and would skirt around the sensitive issues but would lead you to the good stuff.

He took allot of shots at The Nation and pointed out their unethical journalism practices.

Voluntarily took his site down last week when the news stories just got too hot.

Yes the local papers have always printed 'nonsense' but it's got to the point now when it's a couple of pages of local 'celeb' fluff and the rest is made up of ads.

Even the BP isn't worth a glance these days and the fact that Voranai disappeared immediately the junta seized power speaks volumes.

Everyday, I go to Google News and search 'Thailand.'

The local press isn't covering the oppression. Imagine that.

The Bangkok Pundit?

He was reliable and would skirt around the sensitive issues but would lead you to the good stuff.

He took allot of shots at The Nation and pointed out their unethical journalism practices.

Voluntarily took his site down last week when the news stories just got too hot.

Yes the local papers have always printed 'nonsense' but it's got to the point now when it's a couple of pages of local 'celeb' fluff and the rest is made up of ads.

Even the BP isn't worth a glance these days and the fact that Voranai disappeared immediately the junta seized power speaks volumes.

Nothing to do with the coup; a TV member a few months ago said Voranai emailed him to say that BP had cancelled his contract as he had become editor in chief of GQ Thailand.

Kong Rithdee is very much against the coup, yet his comments are published in BP every Saturday.

- The expense. Holiday in Europe is cheaper when flights are taken out

- The Baht, sill way to high

- Junta

- High profile murder cases

- Unexplained deaths through dodgy food/drink

- Increased crime against tourists

- Obligatory scamming putting off potential return visitors

- Obligatory poor service putting off potential return visitors

- Social media has revealed to the masses what some Thais are really like

- Better destinations elsewhere for cheaper, minus the baggage

------------------------

You know, I first came to Thailand in 1977.

There were people then saying tourism was dying in Thailand.

The glory days were over, so they said then in 1977.

And just about every year that I came back people here in Thailand were saying the same thing.

But there is still tourists coming to Thailand in 2014, isn't there?

I'm not saying tourism in Thailand doesn't have problems.

I'm just pointing out that like nearly 40 years ago, there still are 'tourists" getting of the airplanes, aren't there?

• Like 2

attachicon.giffatbastard.jpg

Jesus Christ. And I was just about to have something to eat...

Imagine being jammed in next to that on a long-haul flight - the FAs should be shot for letting him unleash that gut on the flying public. Absolutely no concern for the health and wellbeing of his fellow passengers.

The one thing I feel sure of is that the official figures will not be representing the facts.

I would love to see Thailand back to its heady popularity pre 2008 and a more carefree lifestyle.

The latest I have read that will no doubt have tourists flooding here for high season it he banning of alcohol proposal for New Year and Songkran.

I look around and even in times when some hotels seem to have good occupancy it is not like 10 years ago.

You'd have to dial the clock back to pre-2001 or even pre-1997 to get the carefree lifestyle mate.

• Like 1

- The expense. Holiday in Europe is cheaper when flights are taken out

- The Baht, sill way to high

- Junta

- High profile murder cases

- Unexplained deaths through dodgy food/drink

- Increased crime against tourists

- Obligatory scamming putting off potential return visitors

- Obligatory poor service putting off potential return visitors

- Social media has revealed to the masses what some Thais are really like

- Better destinations elsewhere for cheaper, minus the baggage

------------------------

You know, I first came to Thailand in 1977.

There were people then saying tourism was dying in Thailand.

The glory days were over, so they said then in 1977.

And just about every year that I came back people here in Thailand were saying the same thing.

But there is still tourists coming to Thailand in 2014, isn't there?

I'm not saying tourism in Thailand doesn't have problems.

I'm just pointing out that like nearly 40 years ago, there still are 'tourists" getting of the airplanes, aren't there?

I don't think it yo-yos as much nearly as it does now.