Bill Cosby sued for alleged underage sexual abuse

Lite Beer

In criminal cases 'beyond a reasonable doubt' is the requirement for conviction. In civil cases ' on the balance of probabilities ' is usually the benchmark.

True, but it's worded a little differently. The standard for civil cases is "The preponderance of evidence." This means that the jury needs to find that its a little more likely to be true than not.

Frankly I don't like it. As in the case of OJ, he was found not guilty of a crime under the standard of "beyond a (any) reasonable doubt." Then he was sued civilly and found guilty by a preponderance of the evidence. I think that if a guy is found not guilty of a crime by jury he should be able to walk away and get his life back.

OJ is a dirt bag who was later convicted of another crime and is in prison. Fair enough.

I was still shocked by all this. I think most people were. It was probably that Dr. Huxtable character that really fooled people. Also the morality preaching to the African American community. Growing up I actually bought his records (quaint!) and went to his live shows ... he filled large stadiums. Normally I don't think the smoke there's fire logic is really fair but when you've got such large numbers of accusers like this, that changes things.

The 1960s was the 'golden age' of the comedy album. With strict media censorship the only other way to hear adult humor from the pro comedians was at their performances, but even then... (RIP Lenny Bruce) I only found out a few years ago that Bob Newhart initially became famous for a dirty joke on one of his albums. When word first got out that Redd Foxx was going to get a TV show, the first response from everyone who knew who of him was the same: you've got to be kidding!

Cosby first got my attention with the album about sharing a bed with his brother, and chickenheart.

That preaching to the community stuff is what p.o.'d the young comedian who started stirring this stuff up.

Regardless what the outcome of all this will be, he'll have to live out his life with the suspicion hanging over his head. With all these accusations, true or not, he'll never be vindicated beyond doubt. Anyone who has heard his standup performances (there was one on cable TV a few months back) or seen him being interviewed knows he's a stubborn old fart, so he has what it takes to brass it out.

On the other hand, at his age, he may decide to hell with it, and rather face up to it he may meet a tragic and unexpected demise this weekend in a yachting accident, or something like that.

Edited by bendejo

If he's guilty, being a bit of a snake aside, at least he's had all this time to enjoy the best part of his life. Seems par for the course, though, all these famous old boys getting found out well into their 70s. What's up with that, is it a social media thing?

I saw an interview on TV with one of the alleged victims. She said that Cosby gave her a little white pill. It would appear from what she said, she took the pill willingly, so she may have been drugged, but if you take a drug willingly it's probably not really correct to insinuate that you have been drugged.

One would think that a world famous celebrity with millions of dollars would have been able to get laid without drugging anybody. blink.png

Maybe he wanted really young flesh, the type money couldn't buy.

Maybe he's just a dirty grub with a certain type of fetish.

All we really know is that he's an ugly bastard. Everything else is just speculation.

was he ever mates with that British guy, Rolf Harris?

41 years ago and now she files a case against Cosby.

I never like Bill Cosby shows but she should have run the next days, weeks, months to the police and not after 41 years.

Well just as someone else has pointed out about Cosby himself having lived all these years until now without having to deal with it, perhaps his victims having now reached their elder years no longer feel any particular need to keep hiding from this and only now, with their own working/"public" years behind them, feel ready to set matters straight. If that's the case, I fail to see how that's in any way unfair to Cosby or prejudicial to their claims against him. What matters is whether the piper needs to be paid, not how long it's taken.