LED Rear bulbs

rikki

Some bulbs have two contact points. One for running light the other for brake light. How many contact point does your original bulb have? Might you have got the wrong bulb?

It would be helpful to post both bulbs pictures so that we can see the difference.

Edited by Ozgur

Please see the picture. Those two gray color spots at the bottom of the bulb are the contact points. As I said above, one for the brake and the other for the rubbing light. Your led bulb should have the same feature.

post-181825-1417593617972_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ozgur

I put LED bulbs in the turn signals and sidelights on my 1966 Series Land Rover here - work like a charm... Definitely nothing special about that wiring... Dodgy bulb?

LED BULBS?!?!?!?

Maurice Wilks is spinning in his grave at 4000 RPM. I bet you got rid of the original Lucas Electric wiring also didn't you?

• Like 1

Not to hijack the thread, but I bought it already Nipponised; Toyota engine and gear box, and most if the wiring replaced... 3.2 L long bore diesel engine, gearbox and transfer gears, with the original LR axles. Runs like a charm. 4,000 rpm might be a little high though :)

I put LED bulbs in the turn signals and sidelights on my 1966 Series Land Rover here - work like a charm... Definitely nothing special about that wiring... Dodgy bulb?

LED BULBS?!?!?!?

Maurice Wilks is spinning in his grave at 4000 RPM. I bet you got rid of the original Lucas Electric wiring also didn't you?

• Like 2

no, you cant rotate it 180.

Could it be a negatively wired vehicle? would that make the difference?

I assume the old lamp works properly (always lit when the key is on and get's brighter upon pressing the brake lever(s)), than the bulb is being inserted incorrectly as you reported it working correctly in other socket(s).

Not to hijack the thread, but I bought it already Nipponised; Toyota engine and gear box, and most if the wiring replaced... 3.2 L long bore diesel engine, gearbox and transfer gears, with the original LR axles. Runs like a charm. 4,000 rpm might be a little high though smile.png

LED BULBS?!?!?!?

I was under the impression that was the RPM the original diesel Land Rovers produced their max power of ~50 hp.

yes, just that I want to use it in an old dirtbike.

they told me when I bought it that it was only for cars, but I thought it worth a try.

So I want to know what works and why

Is it a Wave 110 or an old dirt bike?

If you're sure you're putting it in the right way and have ensure it works in a different vehicle one of two things is happening.

1. Your old bike runs a 6v system and isn't giving it enough juice (doubtful).

2. Your new LED bulb isn't providing enough resistance for your bike.

• Like 1

Please see the picture. Those two gray color spots at the bottom of the bulb are the contact points. As I said above, one for the brake and the other for the rubbing light. Your led bulb should have the same feature.

Not only the number of contacts on the bottom of the light that matters but also the position of the contacts in relation to the locking pin (seen on the top of the negative contact on your picture). Many lights are model specific so yiu have to find one that matches your original light bulb exactly. Edited by Shurup

I

you need resistors to run led lights.

correct.

the LED bulb is not presenting a load great enough for the leccy juice to flow.

I t hink the LED bulbs you buy now have a resistor built in , if you bought a string of them you might need a resistor

also some turn signals blinkers need a certain amount of resistance or they blink fast