Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats

webfact

It is how I said; that these extremists try to overpower those who may go against the grain with them They believe that they have a monopoly on these threads and other posters as intruders.

These fools are no longer worthy of a reply. For those who live and are doing alright in Thailand or intend to live long term in Thailand would be wise not to follow these extremists on this forum and social networking websites. Follow one of the golden rules and don`t get involved otherwise they could serious mess things up for you here, which their intentions.

That`s my advice and up to those who follow these clowns own risk and discretion.

Indeed, your point is well taken Beetlejuice, and their vitriol becomes weaker and weaker as it becomes evident they lack any genuine substance to post. No use debating with those who obviously have an agenda....

Absolutely.

I think a debate in their case should be described as a, mass debate. Have you noticed that it`s always the same names that keep on overpowering these types of threads and using types of intimidation to get their points across. They actually seem to gang up. Exactly the same ploys used on the koh Tao murder threads and many of these posters are one of the same.

Yes, obviously they have an agenda, they seem determined not to let anyone else state their points of views, especially those that try to give the present ruling party and Thailand a positive image. As you say; it`s pointless fuelling this thread any further and hopefully others with common sense will latch on and ignore these extremists.

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know how true but I heard on a vine that those tourists scoring wee in Nana are getting some kali manga bongo stuff that many bangkok doctors think cause Astynomiaphobia according to some Thai wee lovers that make me wonder why are people still risking life for a lousy deal that is concocked so the toker gets Astynomiaphobia

Phobias are irrational fears, funny though

It's not even half a year later, so implying that it's ancient history somehow, is utterly ridiculous. The things I was referring to, were actually all recent events, not 'before'. And, while I'm not usualy one to be shouting about politics (truly, I'm not), your utter denial of news events in that regard is strange, at best. It's obvious you are afraid to look at those things, and for personal motivations, and that I leave with you.

The military's intervention to take over was on May 22, it is now December 6 - that is not "immediately" by any definition. That said, again you post absolute nothing of substance.

You said you were going to block me.... please do keep your promises...

Grainne

You're really getting quite lame now

It is how I said; that these extremists try to overpower those who may go against the grain with them They believe that they have a monopoly on these threads and other posters as intruders.

These fools are no longer worthy of a reply. For those who live and are doing alright in Thailand or intend to live long term in Thailand would be wise not to follow these extremists on this forum and social networking websites. Follow one of the golden rules and don`t get involved otherwise they could serious mess things up for you here, which their intentions.

That`s my advice and up to those who follow these clowns own risk and discretion.

Indeed, your point is well taken Beetlejuice, and their vitriol becomes weaker and weaker as it becomes evident they lack any genuine substance to post. No use debating with those who obviously have an agenda....

Absolutely.

I think a debate in their case should be described as a, mass debate. Have you noticed that it`s always the same names that keep on overpowering these types of threads and using types of intimidation to get their points across. They actually seem to gang up. Exactly the same ploys used on the koh Tao murder threads and many of these posters are one of the same.

Yes, obviously they have an agenda, they seem determined not to let anyone else state their points of views, especially those that try to give the present ruling party and Thailand a positive image. As you say; it`s pointless fuelling this thread any further and hopefully others with common sense will latch on and ignore these extremists.

I'm sorry, but you don't even seem to understand the issue, Beetlejuice. To be against a rise in police shakedowns in Bangkok, is NOT putting down the current government. In fact, many people here are suggesting that it may be the local police reaction in protest of the military shutting down the massage parlors. I don't know if that's true or not. But I know that's hardly blaming it on the new government.

People have every right to be concerned about a rise in reported bribes being demanded at the point of intimidation, in Bangkok. If you really need to call that extremism, to be concerned, then...I don't know what else will help you to understand the concern.

Edited by John1thru10

@Grainne "that is an issue for the Thai people, who by and large are supportive of the current government's efforts."

Now that is just pure speculation from an avid supporter yet you claim John got a political axe to grind. Apathy is not the same as approval. There are many who don't give a hoot anymore about the political situation as it will always remain the same. So please refrain from claiming that you speak for the majority of any group whether it be locals or foreigners.

A very strange discussion this has turned into. It would be a very strange point of view to take in Asia , if one was seen as being anti government just because they debated corruption.

A number of people seem to see the govt, military and the police as having the same interests and dancing to the same tune. That is not really the picture, is it. There are generalities , conflicts and then the area where those might overlap. Some are institutional but a lot can be followed back to the personal level. Personal loyalties run very deep here; I personally have seen instances where somebody was about to be whacked only for one of the group to announce they were a friend of xxxx. A violent encounter can turn into a scene of wais and apologies in a split second just because of the announcement of a link to a network.

At the moment some strange links have been forged and some new conflicts blown apart. To a large extent this leaves the police off the map as they have never been particularly on the top of the pyramid anyway. It is not really clear at the moment if the present situation comes from an order or a new business venture. I have heard a few things, enough to know that if they picked on me I would not be going anywhere with them or doing any tests.

Absolutely.

No one has an agenda, there's no denigrating campaing against Thailand,Governament or Police.We all love Thailand but we can't justify anything. There is a problem about the treatment that many expats and tourists received by police and Institutions in general and this is a fact.What happened to Tim "Sharky" Ward (although I don't like him)it's just an example of what Police is capable of doing .

Cheers.

''When he couldn’t produce, he says they forced him to drink four liters of water and pressed forcefully on his bladder to make him urinate and touched his penis.''cheesy.gif

I do not believe any one could drink 4 litters of water, I could not...Could you?

try doing it with 6 police officers stading around you and no it isnt an easy thing to drink 4 litres of water while trying NOT to piss....i went home and was sick for 30 minutes....you think me getting sexualy assaulted is funny??? My blood is boiling now and i could write 2 paragraphs (with terrible grammer) threating you ....but i wont!

you should of pissed on their shoes,and said Sorry sir I am bad shot. If you had turned round fast,you may of got them all.

There is one or two possibilities here.

1: The Coconuts site is just scaremongering and publishing unsubstantiated hearsay - which looks very possible.

2: With the recent events well publicized and the obvious forthcoming events that may come as a rather big shock - they are preparing to close the borders so to speak, and turn it into some sort of Khmer Rouge - which is certainly a possibility given comments from some of the Yellow Brigade over the past couple of years.

3: It is just some local Bangkok thing where they are out scamming.

There has been a lot of Police activity up here in the North the last couple of days, obviously some VIP's as there was a lot of road blocks and closures along the 108 Highway.

I must admit, I got caught up in the road blocks on my bike but the cops were friendly and civil, in fact they did their best to help me get out of the blocks and there was certainly no shakedowns or anything like that.

Guess time will tell, I am a bit 50/50 as to what is happening here at the minute, some of it seems like a storm in a teacup but every now and then there is that feeling that something very very bad is going to happen.

Coming from America, I have long-ago learned that "news" is very often a tactic used to generate some desired political reaction. In of itself, news is no more trustworthy than the weather. However, in Thailand, only the dead would be unaware that the clash of powerful opposing forces could well cause a change in long standing attitudes and arrangements. If some segment of the population gets caught (or is placed) in the middle of such a power dispute undeservedly, it would not be a historical first. I am quite keen on trying to determine if these reports are valid and if they represent a policy change that elevates the farang to the level of official scapegoat. If it is NOT true, that would not surprise me. If it IS true, that also would not surprise me. The real surprise would be to find the truth at all.

I'm not the one sounding desperate.

The phrase you posted in all caps shows your real motive, and actually is factually inaccurate as the current allegations are 6 months after the military's actions last May, which put an end to the violence and intimidation directed at protesters and which resulted in the murders of several children.

The issues you attempted to interject were far more relevant prior to military intervention than they are now.

I was in that area 6 days ago and didn't even see a single police officer so I know from my experience this claim is spurious.

Well I was in the area last Monday night and saw several police officers so I know your claim is spurious.

Anyway, my experience with the RTP on that evening is posted on page 10 #246

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781621-surge-of-reported-police-harassment-suggests-campaign-targeting-tourists-expats/page-10

There is another report of faked test results on a farang and his thai gf.

Facebook

20k each

Is it dated? Some of the links here are about incidents in past years.

Today

The post:

FxMz5i8.png

Note the not being shown results, just being told the test is positive and extorted for 2 - 30k (earlier poster in this thread perhaps didn't test positive but believed it as he had smoked 2 months ago outside the country?

This post has a lot of Thais in support, lamenting their own police forces etc. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=863929736960812&id=821012217919231

Rather, these are not representative of the police in general, Thai friends are quick to explain these are damruad gohng, fake police.

Another report:

oORFgkJ.png

Edited by jspill

I assume it's OK to insert this link which says much the same as above, but a bit more acid in its comments.

http://www.saigondistricts.com/2014/12/thailand-shoots-itself-in-other-foot/

this link is already blocked. ...

they do not like healthy criticism. ...

Not blocked for me mate.

Not for me either - still working here in Nonthaburi.

And when of course the ineveitable 'earthquake' comes to Thailand I wouldn't fancy being a farang being seen to enjoy myself on holiday for a long long time. Been coming to Thailand for 20 years married to a Thai for 12 year living in the UK and came every year now we're not bothering - my wife will do a two week family visiit in the middle of the year and that's it. Then our main holiday will be the US. Bye , bye Thailand had some fun times and met my wife but the party's well and truly over. And as for retirement which we were planning no chance.

I'm going to go to avoid sukumvit road between Asoke and Ekkamai.

I do not do drugs and have a valid visa, but I'm afraid that some evil policeman or one who pretends to be a police officer plant drugs on me to extort money.

I also do not like piss tests.

The freedom for foreigners to run around appears limited if one wants to avoid the degradation.

Edited by tomacht8

I'll say it again, those who are gearing up to leave or have already left for greener pastures, I say, you have made the right choice....this place is going down hill and going fast. I was hoping to get out this past September, but now it looks like I'll have to wait until March or April.....

I'll say it again, those who are gearing up to leave or have already left for greener pastures, I say, you have made the right choice....this place is going down hill and going fast. I was hoping to get out this past September, but now it looks like I'll have to wait until March or April....

From the sounds of it, perhaps you can get together with the other TVFers on this thread and get your own charter flight.

I'll say it again, those who are gearing up to leave or have already left for greener pastures, I say, you have made the right choice....this place is going down hill and going fast. I was hoping to get out this past September, but now it looks like I'll have to wait until March or April....

From the sounds of it, perhaps you can get together with the other TVFers on this thread and get your own charter flight.

Which TVFers? Who is reasonably worried for a bad phenomenon rising? Or who else?

If the going rate for a promotion is 3-5Mbaht, maybe some took out loans from sharks based on the previous levels of tea money.

The Army appear to have caused a massive reduction via closing the food vendors until 7pm, closing happy ending bars and requiring the music to stop and bars close early etc.

The loan sharks must be paid!

So where do they turn to rake in the necessary cash?

It's 2+2= rich looking foreigners!

The two legged ATMs!

If most avoid the dodgy areas, you can bet that the few who do walk there will quickly become the latest victims.

This thread was interesting in the earlier posts but lately it seems to have become a p1ssing contest, and very much like Peter Sellar's Party Political Speech in his record, The best of swinging Seller's, about 1960 I think.

He spoke for a good few minutes, using words like categorically and other high sounding words, but in fact he said nothing.

Grasp, I beseech you, the opportunities that are offered, Oops, sorry Madam..... Etc.

If the Authorities do read these threads you can be sure that they will have become bored to death and miss any potentially helpful points which have been drowned out in the noise!

Just sayin......

The police are definitely out in force in Sukhumvit.........I was out almost all day and half the night I went from Soi 15 to Nana up to Asoke over to Soi 22 back to cowboy 23 came out an hour later at Asoke then back to Nana then ended up in Soi 11 before going home.

There was definitely one police,am in the traffic box at Nana staring at people......mainly girls.

Never saw a single policeman in Soi 22 where my friend owns a bar.......told him about all the harassment and he told me don't talk .

Same 2 guys who are always there were at the mouth of cowboy......really scared me when one nodded and smiled.......Asked my Pal Pep who has worked the Tong Lor/Sukhumvit area for over 20 years as tuk tuk driver what was all the harassment about pulling up tourists........hadn't a clue what I was talking about...............he has never heard a thing.

Could it be we have a few drama queens on Thaivisa? cheesy.gif

Crikey, I'll bet you had the mother of all hangovers the next morning!

I was watching the litter police do their thing in the Nana area.

There are about 12 of these predators stalking farang cigarette smokers.

They each nab 2 or 3 tourists per hour I estimate. Thats 192 - 288 tourists being harassed & fined 2,000Bt. every day.

The motive?384,000Bt - 576,000Bt per day. OR 12,000,000Bt - 18,000,000Bt per month!

That's a lot of money! I wish I could get one of the worthless layabouts in my wife's family to get on the force.

I should imagine you have to pay someone lots and lots and lots of money to get on that force!

"its difficult to verify or substantiate many of the claims..."

Yet, they're published without shame.

Look, people don't just make these things up. I've read 3 articles about it this week, in 3 different news sources, including Bangkok Post. And each one of those stories was followed by countless more in their comments section involving recent events. This new government wants foreigners to feel threatened.

Facebook has a page with ppl sharing their experiences and I hear it's growing pretty good.

A little off topic but same vibe, I heard through a buddy that knows him personally that Sammy Wong's bar was raided, it's still open though and not much happened but it looks like big brother is watching and taking note.

Strangely enough, this summer, the Spanish were offering tourists an official - police copy of their passport so they can carry that and avoid having the real one stolen. I didn't check on the cost and don't know if the service is still available.

Perhaps it would be nice if the RTP could offer that?

Also make it about credit card size so it fits in the pocket easily?

It is law in many countries that visitors must carry their passport at all times.

If carrying your actual passport,wrap it in something waterproof because it only needs a little wetting to render the passport useless!

Then you are into the additional waste of time and extra cost of an emergency passport, a replacement once you get home etc.

A royal pain in the bum!

Not sure about that. I put my passport through the wash twice and still used it.