Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats

webfact

many of the visitors near asoke are there for the red light district/famous hoe zone all along that sidewalk area.

if they have no qualms about paying for poon whats the high horse attitude about paying some tea money?

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

many of the visitors near asoke are there for the red light district/famous hoe zone all along that sidewalk area.

if they have no qualms about paying for poon whats the high horse attitude about paying some tea money?

Perhaps some of them rightfully feel police are there to enforce the law.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Police-turn-down-bribe-arrest-Aussies/40682

'High horse attitude", 'Poon" and "Hoe" - really?.

But the people being stopped and searched are tourists visiting the shopping center, restaurants and hotels or they are in taxis passing through this busy junction - there's much more to Asoke Junction than Soi Cowboy.

You guys think that is bad, Betong, Sadao is worse than all of that. You got Customs asking for tea, Army asking for coffee, the Police asking for beers, the voluntary soldier asking for penny. Then if you still have it maybe still got enough for a thai girl for a quickie... sH*7 hole down here.

During the day really? Cowboy is shut then. Ever thought about that area being popular for tourists to stay in anyway due to the public transport connections and terminal 21?

If they are after drugs it's obvious they would need to look closer to home. From the reports in previous pages it's obvious they are after easy tourist targets who will cough up extortion money without kicking up a fuss.

What I would like to know is for tourists visiting Bangkok is there a legal firm I could register with and call on if trouble kicked off? I would have no problems paying a few k if it's meant I could get any pesky crooked cops off my case if they tried to strong arm me into a fake urine test.

I contacted a dozen hotels in the target zone. Sent them the article and link to the discussion.

None of them are offering to have their attorney assist customers.

Several of them are 'playing dumb" and don't know of any problems..."you should be OK"..."Be careful"..."Follow your Embassy travel guidelines"... "pay close attention to your personal security at all times." ....blah blah blah

In other words..take your chances with the Police Mafia...we need the business...If you get extorted by the police...not our problem...

Sheraton Hotel Responds.

The excellent General Manager of The Sheraton has informed me there is an investigation:

"We are currently investigating the incident with the Royal Thai Police.

Allow us to get back to you within 3-5 days once we have received more information."

I'm gonna go out and try and get arrested today. What is the best area to hang around?

Asoke?

I suppose if one doesn't have a local lawyer they could always call their embassy? There is a UK 24 hour emergency consular assistance hotline which I probably would not hesitate to call if it came to it. I might drop sunbelt an email to see what they say.

I doubt many of the hotels will say anything. Room occupancy levels are down year on year anyway from what I hear so they are hardly going to acknowledge there is an issue. Hopefully it will die down in the run up to Xmas and into new year.

I'm gonna go out and try and get arrested today. What is the best area to hang around?

Asoke?

I suppose if one doesn't have a local lawyer they could always call their embassy? There is a UK 24 hour emergency consular assistance hotline which I probably would not hesitate to call if it came to it. I might drop sunbelt an email to see what they say.

I doubt many of the hotels will say anything. Room occupancy levels are down year on year anyway from what I hear so they are hardly going to acknowledge there is an issue. Hopefully it will die down in the run up to Xmas and into new year.

I'm quite familiar with the chaps at Thonglor police so it will be nice to drop in for a chat. Better make sure I get arrested at the right side of Asoke.

What I would like to know is for tourists visiting Bangkok is there a legal firm I could register with and call on if trouble kicked off? I would have no problems paying a few k if it's meant I could get any pesky crooked cops off my case if they tried to strong arm me into a fake urine test.

Sounds like a business opportunity.

2 more weeks, everything will be sold and I will be on my way out of Thailand, I've had enough. A friend who has been working and living here for 7 years has had enough, they left for Vietnam last week!

Add me to the list (will be moving on soon). Congratulations on your departure.

As I wrote on another topic:

How clever and well informed you are! Hilarious!!!

Terminal 21: a sexmonger location???

BTW, I go to the Asoke / Nana area. Do you know why?

1. There are lots of offices, 5-star hotels where I go for business meetings, lunch / dinner,

2. I have my tailor and dentist there!!!

Before making silly comments / statements get yourself informed!

You guys think that is bad, Betong, Sadao is worse than all of that. You got Customs asking for tea, Army asking for coffee, the Police asking for beers, the voluntary soldier asking for penny. Then if you still have it maybe still got enough for a thai girl for a quickie... sH*7 hole down here.

Where?

Asoke?

I'm quite familiar with the chaps at Thonglor police so it will be nice to drop in for a chat. Better make sure I get arrested at the right side of Asoke.

Let us know how you get on.

Death of Tourism = Death of Thailand . . .

If SARS, bird flu, the tsunami, military coups, martial law, months of street protests in the centre of Bangkok, bombs and a terrorist insurgency in the South didn't lead to the death of tourism, a few stop & search police stops in one small area of Bangkok are hardly likely to!

Thailand is selling what everybody wants, cheap prostitutes. There will be bodies lying

in the street, and punters will still be coming here for the girls. However that would

slow down the Chinese tourists...... So at one level you are right, a few searches are

not going to slow down the punters.

If SARS, bird flu, the tsunami, military coups, martial law, months of street protests in the centre of Bangkok, bombs and a terrorist insurgency in the South didn't lead to the death of tourism, a few stop & search police stops in one small area of Bangkok are hardly likely to!

Thailand is selling what everybody wants, cheap prostitutes. There will be bodies lying

in the street, and punters will still be coming here for the girls. However that would

slow down the Chinese tourists...... So at one level you are right, a few searches are

I recommend you do not discontinue the therapy quite yet. Unresolved mummy issues methinks. Maybe weaned too early?

..and what's the even higher horse attitude about deciding who does and who doesn't get subjected to extortion? Asoke. Hey genius, it's actually a large, major Bangkok intersection. Terminal 21, some large, reputable 5-star hotels, and any number of legitimate restaurants, shops, and other businesses in that neighborhood. So sensible for you to set yourself up as the judge imposing this sentence on all who pass through there.

I recommend you do not discontinue the therapy quite yet. Unresolved mummy issues methinks. Maybe weaned too early?

Wow, that is hands down the most brilliant riposte I have ever had the pleasure to read on TV.

Bravo I say, as a tribute to your scintillating and insightful wit !!!!!! Truly I have been cut to

the quick, as I can only stare at the monitor in fear at the possibility you will shred another of

my posts.....cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Wow, that is hands down the most brilliant riposte I have ever had the pleasure to read on TV.

Bravo I say, as a tribute to your scintillating and insightful wit !!!!!! Truly I have been cut to

the quick, as I can only stare at the monitor in fear at the possibility you will shred another of

my posts.....cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It is just a reality that men who seek to demean women whether in the sex trade or not often have 'issues' stemming from their childhood. References to punters and prostitutes may help you vent your anxieties about yourself but are not pertinent to a discussion about police corruption.

Such a lack of critical thinking skills in this thread.

'These reports are unsubstantiated' - by their very nature they will be hard to verify, unless one wears a hidden camera and mic on nights out.

'I've been here 20 years and never had a problem' - it's a recent increase in the frequency of the phenomenon

'Didn't see any police today' / 'look Richard Barrow walked up and down Suk twice and didn't get stopped' - there could be a 1 in 1000 chance of getting stopped, but 100,000 people walk through the area in a given day, hence 100 people get stopped, and 10 bother to go on social media to report what is a very real occurrence

'Drug users and sexpats getting their comeuppance, here in Rhek Thum this doesn't happen' - 2 red light districts are contained within a 1 square km area that also contains major public transport links, the BTS and MRT interchange, Terminal 21 mall, times Square building, the UK visa application office, several 5 star hotels, 2 parks, basically the largest concentration of quality tourists and expats

'lol Coconuts / stickboy' - well now it's in the Wall Street Journal, Asian Correspondent, Bangkok Post opinion section / letters to the editor, and Japanese media

I am touching wood as I type (get your minds out of the gutter), but the Thai police have never caused me even the faintest discomfort. I have dealt with them in public, as well as in relation to a more serious matter, and they have led me to further exclaim Thailand as "The Kingdom."

I understand this doesn't help, but I rarely drink alcohol, live very simply, and try to behave like a guest, rather than someone who is entitled. Anyway, let's see what happens next ...

But do you touch wood also when walking around near Asoke and still not attract the attention of the police

Ha! Still touching wood and still no police grief thumbsup.gif

What is needed is the Thai Internal Elitist Card.

For a mere 500,000 get a Thai Internal Elitist Card and you won't have to worry about being harassed and humiliated by the police.

Show 'em your card and no piss test for you - but you can piss anywhere you want.

Walk down Sukhumvit and feel like you own the joint with your Thai Internal Elitist Card.

Need to draw some official attention to being cheated and ripped off - the Thai Internal Elitist Card is all you need. Even street vendors will give you the right deal if know you've got the good old TIEC.

The Thai Internal Elitist Card - don't leave home without it.

For a mere 500,000 get a Thai Internal Elitist Card and you won't have to worry about being harassed and humiliated by the police.

Show 'em your card and no piss test for you - but you can piss anywhere you want.

Walk down Sukhumvit and feel like you own the joint with your Thai Internal Elitist Card.

Need to draw some official attention to being cheated and ripped off - the Thai Internal Elitist Card is all you need. Even street vendors will give you the right deal if know you've got the good old TIEC.

But there really was a card like this a few years ago wasn't there?

I'm reasonably good at noticing patterns over time and I see your posts have vastly changed in quality over the months.

You had a good start, what changed ?

Archived