Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats

webfact

What is needed is the Thai Internal Elitist Card.

For a mere 500,000 get a Thai Internal Elitist Card and you won't have to worry about being harassed and humiliated by the police.

Show 'em your card and no piss test for you - but you can piss anywhere you want.

Walk down Sukhumvit and feel like you own the joint with your Thai Internal Elitist Card.

Need to draw some official attention to being cheated and ripped off - the Thai Internal Elitist Card is all you need. Even street vendors will give you the right deal if know you've got the good old TIEC.

The Thai Internal Elitist Card - don't leave home without it.

I'm reasonably good at noticing patterns over time and I see your posts have vastly changed in quality over the months.

You had a good start, what changed ?

I'm honoured that you such an interest in my posts, to the extent of making a comparative analysis.

I shall work a bit harder at them in the future so as not to disappoint.

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is needed is the Thai Internal Elitist Card.

For a mere 500,000 get a Thai Internal Elitist Card and you won't have to worry about being harassed and humiliated by the police.

Show 'em your card and no piss test for you - but you can piss anywhere you want.

Walk down Sukhumvit and feel like you own the joint with your Thai Internal Elitist Card.

Need to draw some official attention to being cheated and ripped off - the Thai Internal Elitist Card is all you need. Even street vendors will give you the right deal if know you've got the good old TIEC.

The Thai Internal Elitist Card - don't leave home without it.

I'm reasonably good at noticing patterns over time and I see your posts have vastly changed in quality over the months.

You had a good start, what changed ?

I personally thought the post was pretty funny. It is what all rich Thais have automatically,

and they do not even have to carry anything.... I still remember being at a highway police checkpoint in northern Thailand. They were stopping virtually every ordinary car with Thai

people in it. Then I saw a Mercedes roll towards the checkpoint. The policeman in charge of deciding who to pull over actually snaps into a salute, and waves the Mercedes right on through...

Bangkok tourists caught up in shakedown

The Sydney Morning Herald - December 12, 2014 - 3:37PM

Bangkok: Foreign tourists are calling it the shakedown.

A growing number are being stopped, searched and harassed in the main tourist precinct of the Thai capital. Sometimes they are led to a service station toilet and asked to provide a urine sample, supposedly to determine whether they have consumed any illicit drugs.

But according to letters to newspapers, blogs and even a specially set-up Facebook page, the targeting of foreigners is to extort bribes.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bangkok-tourists-caught-up-in-shakedown-20141212-125voa.html

Waters too muddy for diving on Koh Tao today??coffee1.gif
JOC, you'd better hope the cops don't start reading internet forums or you're toast.
What are you blathering about?

What is he blathering about ? Haven't you been paying attention to the news and reading some of the stupid anti-junta comments on the forum ?

Some websites in Thailand have been shut down because of their anti-government views. I could not give a toss about what "could" happen to individual posters who post their hate filled rubbish comments, more concerned about the forum itself getting a bad name.

...................."Although it’s difficult to verify or substantiate many of the claims"................................

Exactly, and is the same regarding the chronic junta bashers on the forum. Most of their claims are rumors, hearsay and just plain bs, and when they are caught out they simply change the subject or stop posting for a while.

(rolls eyes) The inability of some people to simply apply common sense is staggering.

Some people act in Thailand in a manner they wouldn't act in their own country - the exception, according to you, being Aussies. Then again, I know plenty of well-raised, upper middle class Aussies that don't seem to have any trouble engaging their brain, so maybe it's just 'certain' people.

Yeah... Common sense. Seldom used and forgotten by most. Remember... Thailand is not our countries and although they smile and tolerate behind that mask is the hate they have for your disrespect for their culture. You can be safe to assume that what is normal in your home country is abnormal in most if not all of Asia. And when something bad happens to people who engage in disrespect most karma believing folks think you Reap what you sow. And even after all the high profile murder cases you still have people coming to Thai beaches and going nude. Read about the culture here before you come and respect it. Just last month I went to see The Royal Palace and two women showed up in one piece bathing suits with beach towels wrap around their bottoms. Simply ducking amazing.

Redbull etc give positive

Sorry someone care to expand on this? Red bull give positive what?
Positive pee drugs results
In English?

The ingestion of red bull could alter your urine chemistry sufficiently to result in positive results when taking a drug test based on urinalysis.

Clear enough?

Death of Tourism = Death of Thailand . . .

If SARS, bird flu, the tsunami, military coups, martial law, months of street protests in the centre of Bangkok, bombs and a terrorist insurgency in the South didn't lead to the death of tourism, a few stop & search police stops in one small area of Bangkok are hardly likely to!

Thailand is selling what everybody wants, cheap prostitutes. There will be bodies lying

in the street, and punters will still be coming here for the girls. However that would

slow down the Chinese tourists...... So at one level you are right, a few searches are

not going to slow down the punters.

I recommend you do not discontinue the therapy quite yet. Unresolved mummy issues methinks. Maybe weaned too early?

Wow, that is hands down the most brilliant riposte I have ever had the pleasure to read on TV.

Bravo I say, as a tribute to your scintillating and insightful wit !!!!!! Truly I have been cut to

the quick, as I can only stare at the monitor in fear at the possibility you will shred another of

my posts.....cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It is just a reality that men who seek to demean women whether in the sex trade or not often have 'issues' stemming from their childhood. References to punters and prostitutes may help you vent your anxieties about yourself but are not pertinent to a discussion about police corruption.

Sigh , ok. Since you have chosen to take umbrage at the term prostitute, which is actually

a more precise usage of the English language, what term would prefer? Bar girls, entertainers,

horizontal dancers ?? And far from demeaning them, I enjoy them greatly, and have used their services for many years. So whatever your defensive position is, ( married to one ? ) you have clearly wasted your vitriol on the wrong person. And actually the sex for money business and police corruption ARE closely tied together. Do you ever read Thai news ?? Google Chuvit and see how much money he was paying the police monthly to run his sex/massage business.....

Ok... Here's what happened.

I thought I was meeting one guy for a private meeting. But the meeting was full-on with press and lots of high-taking police.

Pol. Lt. Gen Prawuth was extremely interested in what has been happening. He speaks great English, asked lots of questions and took notes. Pol. Maj. Gen. Apichat was very encouraging.

They said that this is the right time to come forward and address the issue. That changes are coming in the police force and they really appreciate the input.
Unfortunately, my stories don't have much detail. I don't remember names and faces of the cops involved.

They asked me if I could find anyone else with similar stories who had any more details.

So, if anyone can remember the names, numbers or faces of police that harassed them, they would be more than happy to meet and find out.

I'm prepared to go with anyone and do introductions or whatever it takes.

Anyone got any stories they would like to share with the top brass? We could make it a group outing....

source https://www.facebook.com/groups/fooktheboysinbrown/?fref=nf

This issue has been in the Daily Mail and Sydney Morning Herald and this is only the beginning.

Stories are lifted, syndicated, translated and redistributed. Within a week or two the same story will appear in a farmers gazette in rural Germany.

I cannot believe that the TAT didn't jump on this thing in its infancy. This along with half a dozen other less than positive stories.

Tourism revenues are going to tank.

I thought I was meeting one guy for a private meeting. But the meeting was full-on with press and lots of high-taking police.

Pol. Lt. Gen Prawuth was extremely interested in what has been happening. He speaks great English, asked lots of questions and took notes. Pol. Maj. Gen. Apichat was very encouraging.

They said that this is the right time to come forward and address the issue. That changes are coming in the police force and they really appreciate the input.

Unfortunately, my stories don't have much detail. I don't remember names and faces of the cops involved.

They asked me if I could find anyone else with similar stories who had any more details.

So, if anyone can remember the names, numbers or faces of police that harassed them, they would be more than happy to meet and find out.

Anyone got any stories they would like to share with the top brass? We could make it a group outing....

I'll bet the vast majority of extortion episodes come with a dire warning to keep your mouth shut or..... A tourist, once safely home, MIGHT be willing to share his details (if not just wanting to forget the whole unpleasant experience), but perhaps most expats living here (and, emm, "within reach"...) would be more inclined not to. 'Part & parcel of the intimidation which makes this whole scheme work.

...which has, since the beginning of this thing, made me suspect that even the cases now being reported on and discussed are only a fraction of the total.

I do not wish to demean what is a stella efforts to get this resolved but...

To suggest that the top brass don't know what is going on defies credulity.

This story is now "out". It's all over numerous travel forums, SMH and Daily Mail and will certainly only expand further.

If there is any interest whatsoever to ensure that foreigners are not mistreated by the police - the solution is too simple.

A monitored and recorded toll free call number in multiple languages, in which any person can request assistance (or report abuse), when dealing with the police.

The revenues that have and will be lost from negative publicity, will doubtless vastly outweigh amounts secured through intimidation. And only when this is fully apprehended, will the problem disappear.

This story is now "out". It's all over numerous travel forums, SMH and Daily Mail and will certainly only expand further.

If there is any interest whatsoever to ensure that foreigners are not mistreated by the police - the solution is too simple.

A monitored and recorded toll free call number in multiple languages, in which any person can request assistance (or report abuse), when dealing with the police.

The revenues that have and will be lost from negative publicity, will doubtless vastly outweigh amounts secured through intimidation. And only when this is fully apprehended, will the problem disappear.

I agree entirely with your analysis but not solution. Thais do not have a corruption phone line and Europeans won't either. The usual solution to police and army corruption is a government answerable to the people. The people then accordingly control what type and what level of corruption is a acceptable to them based on how they view the laws that control them and to whom they are applied.

many of the visitors near asoke are there for the red light district/famous hoe zone all along that sidewalk area.

if they have no qualms about paying for poon whats the high horse attitude about paying some tea money?

'High horse attitude", 'Poon" and "Hoe" - really?.

But the people being stopped and searched are tourists visiting the shopping center, restaurants and hotels or they are in taxis passing through this busy junction - there's much more to Asoke Junction than Soi Cowboy.

Yeah and it's the holier-than-thou preachy types that turn out to be the real ones to be careful of.

I agree entirely with your analysis but not solution. Thais do not have a corruption phone line and Europeans won't either. The usual solution to police and army corruption is a government answerable to the people. The people then accordingly control what type and what level of corruption is a acceptable to them based on how they view the laws that control them and to whom they are applied.

There was a time when an aggressive Tourist Police, really did protect tourists from rip off artists and would quickly take charge in police matters when foreigners were involved. They seem to have faded away.

My solution of a toll fee number for foreigners and tourists to get assistance when dealing with the police was a measure that could be introduced quickly to counter the extremely negative publicity, that will reassure visitors to the kingdom, that they have some recourse to protection from police intimidation.

But you are probably right, I doubt there is the political will (at present) for that or a similar remedy.

Exactly. The brass (and invested expats in perennial denial) can play the "prove it!" game all they want, but this is 2014. The whole world knows about this police extortion racket by now, and tourists are dumping Thailand for some very good, entirely valid, reasons. It won't get better until the practice, and other well-publicized thai scams and hijinkery as well are actually eliminated, and sadly for jobs & businesses, the hole now dug simply can't be climbed out of overnight. "Crackdowns", public announcements, "investigations", and other similar empty posturing no longer fool anybody. I don't think these brass get that at all. And if they did it would mean far too much loss of face actually owning up to it. Just an impossible situation for them.

Somebody should write a book on "face" vs social problem solving.

My solution of a toll fee number for foreigners and tourists to get assistance when dealing with the police was a measure that could be introduced quickly to counter the extremely negative publicity, that will reassure visitors to the kingdom, that they have some recourse to protection from police intimidation.

I also think this would not work in practice: there is (or recently was) a number to call for reporting taxi drivers who refused to take a fare. That might come as news to many who read this post, just go search how much mention there's been of it in threads about recent news like the stupid Bangkok taxi drivers whining on Facebook and declaring they don't refuse the customer, they refuse the destination; or the one about upgrading the fares etc.

That doesn't even have the issue of victims being too scared to speak out either.

How to fix this? Fix the police. I don't mean like a Junta reshuffle at the trough: I mean really fix them, and that means first fixing most of the rest of Thailand.

See Singapore for further reference.

After reading that article I am absolutely astounded. The guy in question was really a doormat (I feel for him though, I mean he was probably just very scared and humiliated) but his first mistake was not speaking Thai. If he could speak Thai, why did he allow the fake "translator" to come along with him? 12 hours in a police station? Only speaking English when you can speak Thai is a big, big mistake in Thailand. Which is why I refuse to speak English or even acknowledge any English spoken by anyone in Thailand, particularly law enforcement. Fortunately my Thai is so good that I rarely have to prove anything - everyone speaks to me in Thai after a second or two.

What he should have done is run away from the guy who grabbed his arm and shouted very loudly. He obviously made too many mistakes and paid the price.

If I were him I'd be writing to every major news network and go on a current affair or some similar western current affairs program to make some noise about his disgusting treatment. No one should have to go through what this poor guy experienced.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

many of the visitors near asoke are there for the red light district/famous hoe zone all along that sidewalk area.

if they have no qualms about paying for poon whats the high horse attitude about paying some tea money?

'High horse attitude", 'Poon" and "Hoe" - really?.

But the people being stopped and searched are tourists visiting the shopping center, restaurants and hotels or they are in taxis passing through this busy junction - there's much more to Asoke Junction than Soi Cowboy.
Yeah and it's the holier-than-thou preachy types that turn out to be the real ones to be careful of.

some of them may have been innocent shoppers, others in search of a little poon, it shall forever remain shrouded in history.

This issue has been in the Daily Mail and Sydney Morning Herald and this is only the beginning.

Stories are lifted, syndicated, translated and redistributed. Within a week or two the same story will appear in a farmers gazette in rural Germany.

I cannot believe that the TAT didn't jump on this thing in its infancy. This along with half a dozen other less than positive stories.

Tourism revenues are going to tank.

I also wish the worst to this country, just because I want to be the only handsome man around <3

Archived