is it possible to cross the border from laos to vietnam with own car

user643543

I don't think so. In older threads it was stated, that in Vietnam, your foreign - or Thai - drivers license is not valid. Also they do not allow right hand steered cars. Maybe the rules have changed, but I doubt it.

You can cross border into Laos with a thai car. No 'international plates' are needed, just the "T" sticker. You need the purple passbook along with the blue passbook of the car, for leaving Thailand and entering Laos. Both country's immigration agents need to clear the papers. Then you buy insurance on the Laos side. The papers they issue at the border are good for 30 days in Laos.

Edited by crazygreg44

I heard is was difficult if not impossible to get into Vietnam with your own car. Used to be possible but they changed the rules last year. It’s a pity.

Well actually Vietnam has never really been easy to get into with your own car - it was almost always only on a tour, especially if you came with a right hand driven car, such as a Thai car.

In 2012 I saw a Thai car caravan tour, with a leading police motorcycle leading tourists from Mui Ne in the direction of Nha Trang.

Just 2 weeks ago a group of around 30 Thai cars on a caravan tour were heading towards the Lao border at Chong Mek and onto Vietnam. Similarly, a major caravan tour from Thailand via Koh Kong, Cambodia to southern Vietnam was advertised on FM 107 in Bangkok and took place recently - so it seems that despite the restrictions announced last year, Thai cars can continue to enter, but as previously, only on a pre-arranged tour.

There may however be some good news in sight: there is a high likelihood (though it hasn't been confirmed yet) that all these silly restrictions will soon be lifted and Thai cars will be allowed to enter Vietnam due to the AEC 2015 integration. This will likely occur either on the date of entry into force of AEC on Dec 31, 2015, perhaps a little earlier, or maybe only in 2016 or so. As we get closer to the AEC 2015 deadline, we will likely hear more about these sorts of issues, so keep your eyes and ears tuned.

I don't think so. In older threads it was stated, that in Vietnam, your foreign - or Thai - drivers license is not valid. Also they do not allow right hand steered cars. Maybe the rules have changed, but I doubt it.

You can cross border into Laos with a thai car. No 'international plates' are needed, just the "T" sticker. You need the purple passbook along with the blue passbook of the car, for leaving Thailand and entering Laos. Both country's immigration agents need to clear the papers. Then you buy insurance on the Laos side. The papers they issue at the border are good for 30 days in Laos.

Apparently Thai driver licenses will become valid in Vietnam as of Jan 1, 2015 as with licenses from other ASEAN countries. However, this does not necessarily translate into being allowed to bring your own Thai or other non-Lao or non-Cambodian vehicle into Vietnam as early as this. Due to the implementation of AEC 2015, it is highly likely that Vietnam will be forced to open it's border for more foreign registered vehicles, but when exactly this will happen is unclear. Most likely not before entry into force, which is Dec 31, 2015, although it could be a little earlier if things go well, but my feeling is it's likely to be later, if anything, unless AEC 2015 forces all countries to be in line with all the policies and regulations that need to change under AEC and thus agree to allow vehicles from member states to pass their borders from a common date onwards, Vietnam included.

I wonder if motorcycles will be allowed in at the same time cars are ?

Only thing stopping me from a visit is that I need to join a tour to bring my bike in.

I would say yes.

However, reports from GTRider.com and Asiaride.net suggest that some border crossings from Laos to Vietnam and possibly one or two from Cambodia to Vietnam may already occasionally allow Thai (and other foreign registered) motorcycles across. This is because the officials at these crossings are somewhat more lenient. Having said that without any official system, it's a bit of a hit and miss and depends on the official on duty - it's the same system when attempting to take a motorcycle from Vietnam to Cambodia or Laos, a bit of a hit and miss. But I can confirm bringing across a Thai or other foreign registered motorcycle seems to be less involved than bringing across a car, but I too wouldn't be keen to just show up and see what happens, since not being allowed across could lead to a lot of wasted time, money and disappointment. Therefore, I'd recommend to wait until the rules and regulations become a bit clearer.

Thanks. I am waiting until it is clear what is allowed.

Absolutely, so am I. Anyway, you'll need to wait at least a year before it may be allowed. After having just come back from Vietnam where I was driving my friend's car, I can tell you driving in Vietnam is no picnic. I say that even though I have a number of years of driving experience over there. Average speeds are low and the number of motorcycles and scooters is mind blowing - you have to be constantly vigilant and your foot always has to be ready to brake at any moment. Parking spaces in cities are limited, particularly in Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi and the government there actively discourages car ownership. I can only imagine they are dragging their feet at the concept of allowing Thais and other foreigners to drive their own cars into their country. I think without AEC 2015, they would probably not allow it for many more years.

• 1 year later...

Thanks. I am waiting until it is clear what is allowed.

Absolutely, so am I. Anyway, you'll need to wait at least a year before it may be allowed. After having just come back from Vietnam where I was driving my friend's car, I can tell you driving in Vietnam is no picnic. I say that even though I have a number of years of driving experience over there. Average speeds are low and the number of motorcycles and scooters is mind blowing - you have to be constantly vigilant and your foot always has to be ready to brake at any moment. Parking spaces in cities are limited, particularly in Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi and the government there actively discourages car ownership. I can only imagine they are dragging their feet at the concept of allowing Thais and other foreigners to drive their own cars into their country. I think without AEC 2015, they would probably not allow it for many more years.

xinchào and sawadee hello and bonjour

now - 2nd january 2016! - any news already to cross the border and drive into/in VIETNAM with thai-car with thai-plates?!

also what is changing positive into CHINA?!

do you know more @tomtomtom69 or all others?

thanks and talk 2u soon!