Law against hate speech among NRC charter proposals

Lite Beer

Law against hate speech among NRC charter proposals
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Some National Reform Council subcommittees have submitted their proposals for the drafters of the new constitution to consider.

Pairote Promsarn, chairman of the NRC subcommittee monitoring proposals to the Constitutional Drafting Committee, said the proposals included a law against hate speech, with mass-media professionals who violate the law liable for Criminal Court action.

The panels that have submitted proposals are those on consumer rights, law and justice, mass media and technology, education and human resources, and the welfare system.

Pairote said his panel would categorise the proposals in four sections - the monarchy and the people; political leadership and institutions; the rule of law and court and government regulations; and reform and reconciliation.

He said there were three proposals relating to the monarchy, and the people section including the creation of capable and quality citizens who were honest and civic-minded in order to establish a pluralistic society peacefully while helping prevent and regulate corruption.

The second proposal centres on civil rights and the establishment of independent organisations that would be responsible for protecting consumer rights and creating equal opportunity for accessing education as well as to equal opportunity to teach or conduct research provided it does not violate a citizen's duty, ethics or national unity.

For the mass media, it is proposed that media professionals should have the right to express their opinions, both in speech and writing, provided they are not influenced by the government or money. There should be the establishment of an industry body that would monitor and regulate the sector.

The proposals for political leadership and institutions include citizens being encouraged to participate in politics, especially on issues such as the environment, consumer rights, education and mass media.

The proposals under this section also include the decentralisation of power to help people become closely engaged with politics.

Under the third section involving rule of law and court and government regulations, it is proposed that the government integrate the operations of police, lawyers, prosecutors and the courts in an attempt to provide better service.

On government regulations, the emphasis is on ensuring that independent organisations are free from political and financial influence.

For the section on reform and reconciliation, it is proposed that a human resources, education and culture commission be established to conduct continuous reform of the education system over 10 years.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Law-against-hate-speech-among-NRC-charter-proposal-30249245.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-06

Whatever happened to that big news about Thai media taking kickback money from CP? Did that just die a Thai disappearing death? Is the general planning to crackdown on white collar crime, payoffs, bribery, corruption, insider trading, money laundering..etc.?

• Like 1

Whatever happened to that big news about Thai media taking kickback money from CP? Did that just die a Thai disappearing death? Is the general planning to crackdown on white collar crime, payoffs, bribery, corruption, insider trading, money laundering..etc.?

What is the point in cracking down on anything ?

As soon as the Shins buy their way back into power everything would go back to normal and you rabid red flag wavers will be whining about something else.

• Like 2

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

One post removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Another post removed.

"The second proposal centres on civil rights and the establishment of independent organisations that would be responsible for protecting consumer rights and creating equal opportunity for accessing education as well as to equal opportunity to teach or conduct research provided it does not violate a citizen's duty, ethics or national unity."

An, how beautiful, brilliant and dangerous are those last three words.

Here be dragons.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Who will define hate in the context of this law?

It would seem many countries are struggling with this. As far as I know (which may not be too far rolleyes.gif ) the remarks in the charters are mostly somewhat open and it is in the criminal laws that things get worked out and more explicit.

• Like 1

So, along with Lese Majeste, draconian defamation laws whereby your lawyer will have you sign a waiver of any responsibility if your opponent is found not guilty in a Court case for chrissakes blink.png This country is now hell bent on stopping it's citizenry on talking about anything other than that which they will have for dinner or commenting on last night's soaps. Which is what the overwhelming majority do anyway, having been kept purposely ignorant for millennia? And for those capable of critical thinking, next, the Gulags w00t.gif

Law against hate speech against Junta and army generals OK.

Law against hate speech against criminal and fugitives NOT OK.

See, since Shin left, there was no more corruption and protest in Thailand.

Peace on earth.

Edited by Suriya4

So it went from Siam to Thailand ... what next ... obvious choice ... North Korea II

Piffle. The UK has laws against hate speech.

I have always supported free speech. I cannot speak as freely as I wish in my own country, which was the country of many many generations of my families, some of whom have fought and died to protect freedoms.

I'm sure most so called developed first world countries have laws limiting hate speeches aimed at stirring up racial, religious, sexual or political violence.

• Like 2

Exactly. They may as well write "bad". In fact they could outlaw bad journalism. Tulsathit would disappear tomorrow.

One presumes the person to define "hate" will be the same as defined "democracy". So we should end up with something strange. Does anyone have the link for this in Thai as it is often very different.

At the rate that NRC proposes the number (4-5?) independent orgainzations to "monitor" Thai People and their government, the IO's will collectively be larger than the whole of government and have far more power. NRC proposals are trending away from "checks and balances" and more towards "checkmate." Fairly consistent, however, with NCPO retaining its overall authority in controlling the country. If democracy were an egg, it's being scrambled.

Exactly. They may as well write "bad". In fact they could outlaw bad journalism. Tulsathit would disappear tomorrow.

One presumes the person to define "hate" will be the same as defined "democracy". So we should end up with something strange. Does anyone have the link for this in Thai as it is often very different.

It certainly won't mean the same as we see in English for " hate" speech which refers more to racial hatred or incitement to violence.

I think they will make it mean speech which incites protest.

When Australia introduced hate speech laws. Thats OK.

When the Junta want to introduce hate speech laws. Bad Junta.

When Australia introduced bans on public drinking. Thats OK.

When the Junta want to introduce laws on public drinking. Bad Junta.

Seems some are so upset the Junta are doing a good job they are blinded by hate.

• Like 2

When Australia introduced hate speech laws. Thats OK.

When the Junta want to introduce hate speech laws. Bad Junta.

When Australia introduced bans on public drinking. Thats OK.

When the Junta want to introduce laws on public drinking. Bad Junta.

Seems some are so upset the Junta are doing a good job they are blinded by hate.

The hate speech is almost certainly not equivalent, since there is very little hate speech in Thailand which is based on race or sexuality. Here, it involves politics so moves to ban hate speech may be a (only slightly) underhand way of closing down the democratic space even further. Much like the (absolutely terrible) proposals for the EC to have a role overseeing electoral proposals to prevent 'populist' policies, this sounds like it could be just more oppressive, reactionary, anti-democratic moves by the establishment.

So it went from Siam to Thailand ... what next ... obvious choice ... North Korea II

Piffle. The UK has laws against hate speech.

I have always supported free speech. I cannot speak as freely as I wish in my own country, which was the country of many many generations of my families, some of whom have fought and died to protect freedoms.

I'm sure most so called developed first world countries have laws limiting hate speeches aimed at stirring up racial, religious, sexual or political violence.

Thailand are not the leaders in race relations, let's just say that. These new laws are about one thing when you read between the lines:

Giving the elite similar protection as the LM law.

I hope one day Thailand is a free country.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What else is new ? Free speech has for a long long time been banned in Thailand and free speech is one of the cornerstones of a Democracy which Thailand isnt ...

But are free speech and hate speech the same thing?

• Like 1